IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Av, I think Martinez knows quite clearly that a player he has stated is going to be technically good enough to play for any team in the world is a better option than Naismith, just like I'm sure he knows a £20m beast with no weakness is better than a misfiring jelavic.

The fact of the matter is that he has got to stick with his footballing principles even if it is going to cost him. He gave jelavic a half after his hard work against Chelsea (cheers for running your arse off last week when we couldn't play lukaku, now we can you're out). The same pretty much for Naismith.

He never picked the wrong 11, he picked the team his principles led him to pick. It allowed him to justifiably out them down the pecking order. As it happens, his subs were timely, and when they came on the team played in a manner tactically that punished the hammers.

How many times have we seen Moyes persevere with a shite player for 70 minutes - even up to 90 (if it's Phil Neville). He even did it against city yesterday, old habits die hard.

By the way, I like the look of McCarthy, very busy, wants the ball and has a good brain.

your liking of McCarthy came home to roost hafnia - well done mate - good signing by Martinez - would never have been on Moyes's bench even

your liking of McCarthy came home to roost hafnia - well done mate - good signing by Martinez - would never have been on Moyes's bench even

Yep he is a player that will never make the youtube highlights... but he certainly makes the other players have the platform to get on youtube. A proper busy tempo setter. He and Barry look the business together...

I thought he should have closed Cabaye down quicker for his goal personally but he had a solid game apart from that.

I'd give the credit to Cabaye's shooting ability for this goal. McCarthy wasn't that far off him and he still found the top corner.

Edited by weebittight

I think McCarthy was marking the channel where he thought Cabeye would try and thread a pass through, it was out the blue the shot but yes, at the time I thought "close him down". 9/10 that shot doesnt go in.

I agree. maybe im being harsh but i thought he should have left the winger to coleman instead of doubling up and possibly should have been a bit quicker out to Cabaye. Great shot i agree but i think it could have been avoided. Apart from that i dont think he did much else if anything wrong.

Some interesting quotes in the Guardian today http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/04/roberto-martinez-everton-manchester-city

I love this:

"Sometimes you get too carried away thinking about the threat of the opposition and you nullify yourself. We have to realise we have to be as good as we can and then maybe we can compete against them."

Maybe the reason we were successful against City under Moyes is that because we'd beaten them, Moyes actually had a belief we could go there and do it again and again. With the other top teams he never really believed.

I woukdnt say vulnerable as such, jagielka hasn't played well imo, Coleman has been good on the whole and Baines needs to get going. we are far from a one man team, Barkley, McCarthy, Barry... this is the best team I've seen in a ling time playing football to be proud of.

Ok I eat my words I think a starchily already said this. We are vulnerable at the back and I wonder where we would be without lukaku.

not sure what starchily is (fuck you, autocorrect!) but fair play for coming on and admitting it.

We are vulnerable at the back, but its not down to Martinezs new methods. Like Haf says, out captain and our key CB is not playing well. The arguments against Baines and Coleman are also fair. Hes also spot on with us playing the best football (to a degree) - despite my frustrations with the needless passing - though Ive seen us play exciting football with Moyes, very similar sometimes to what we see now. The big difference is this; Martinez encourages and promotes a winning mentality, something we were severely lacking under Moyes.

We are also still in an adjustment period. It doesnt happen overnight, nor does it happen in a season (see the other side of our city as an example - theyve been shit for a long time but are now grinding out results).

Like Dave asked in another thread: what do we need to be a top four side. We are 3 players short of it. I'll post my opinions on that in the right thread

You can always say money as in the much needed cash injection, but we achieved champions league soccer in 2004-05 by simply having a team that was no better than what we have now, but players actually pulled off a number of shock results and things went our way often enough, but bear in mind the two main North London sides put twelve goals past us in both away fixtures that season. Point being, I think it's a little of a number of factors that many have already alluded to.

#1 Match officials being fair and impartial

#2 Remaining injury free and key players involved on regular basis

#3 Injection of money, possible takeover

#4 Consistency - Not playing well for 45 minutes a game, showing enough heart and desire over a full ninety minutes and see the rewards

#5 Team camaraderie. A bonding, or togetherness of playing individuals

#6 The belief to succeed. Having Martinez instead of Moyes is one aspect of this that will hopefully work in our favor (eventually)

#7 Team fitness. Work on the practice field. Perhaps even innovate something for upcoming games and oppositions.

All said and done, You don't need big name players and cash crazy money to make the champions league - we showed it can be done before - but you take a little of all the above elements, and eventually, you can actually see some end product.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't he once say.... "If I'd been Wigan manager and if David Moyes had come asking for Arouna Kone and James McCarthy, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players"

ah no - that was some classless ex manager with double standards... Martinez treated his ex club with respect and deserves the long term appreciation due to him for "delivering silverware"

Didn't he once say.... "If I'd been Wigan manager and if David Moyes had come asking for Arouna Kone and James McCarthy, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players"

ah no - that was some classless ex manager with double standards... Martinez treated his ex club with respect and deserves the long term appreciation due to him for "delivering silverware"

:rolleyes: we need a yawn smilie at this rate....

Anyway, back to our current manager... I might ask him to be godfather to any kids I may have!

Edited by Matt

you don't like moyes do ya?

Lol At least there are some things about the club he does like now, 6 months ago he was completely anti Everton

bit harsh, but I reckon like the rest of us you recognize his unquestionable love for Everton. I've no doubt Haf loves the club. It would be nice if he let go a little though!