IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

Looks like the deal is done now (not another former Athletic player for once) and we have this Deulofeu on a seasons long loan.

I know next to nothing about this playing individual but after a look at his reference page and after many good things said on the kid on these pages, could be someone to watch next season and decent times may be ahead, but it's far too early to get too excited about this one player alone. Will wait until we actually get to see him perform for the club home and away in a few months and take it from there, but fair enough if he's rated as a promising up and comer and big things are expected, but we say it every time, but time will tell.

When will he join the rest of squad? And what other players are joining later? Is it just the England U20 boys? Cause I've already seen most of the full internationals in the photos on the official site.

Kone is joining at the end of the month, Alcaraz has already joined as he trained yesterday with the team. I don't know about Joel and I'm guessing Deulofeu will join at the end of the month because he's been playing with Spain.

Kone is joining at the end of the month, Alcaraz has already joined as he trained yesterday with the team. I don't know about Joel and I'm guessing Deulofeu will join at the end of the month because he's been playing with Spain.

Joel was already training in Austria yesterday. He's in one of the photos.

I just hope Martinez doesn't use him sparingly like he did Henriques from United.

I doubt it Deulofeu has gone on loan with a view to playing first team football at a high standard to prepare him for the Barca first team according to tweets from Spanish sources this morning, he has chosen us because it's his best chance of first team action from what i can gather.

This is an exciting week. I wonder if that's it or if Roberto has more planned?

Could he possibly be any more different from Moyes?

Dithering Dave to Rocket Robbie!

I'm still expecting at least another central midfielder and would like another winger.

Looks like the deal is done now (not another former Athletic player for once) and we have this Deulofeu on a seasons long loan.

I know next to nothing about this playing individual but after a look at his reference page and after many good things said on the kid on these pages, could be someone to watch next season and decent times may be ahead, but it's far too early to get too excited about this one player alone. Will wait until we actually get to see him perform for the club home and away in a few months and take it from there, but fair enough if he's rated as a promising up and comer and big things are expected, but we say it every time, but time will tell.

Fuck it, I'll get excited about him even if it means I'm risking disappointment. Kone and Alcaraz are not bad players by any means but there's not a whole lot to them; what you see is what you get. Deulofeu has game-breaking ability. He's like Mirallas in that he has the individual skill to make something out of nothing. He's the type of player you can sub on in a boring 0-0 game and instantly get a spark. I've been cynical about some of the other signings so I'll give credit where credit is due on this one. This is a brilliant pickup by Martinez and a creative way to get some flair into the lineup given our budget.

Fuck it, I'll get excited about him even if it means I'm risking disappointment. Kone and Alcaraz are not bad players by any means but there's not a whole lot to them; what you see is what you get. Deulofeu has game-breaking ability. He's like Mirallas in that he has the individual skill to make something out of nothing. He's the type of player you can sub on in a boring 0-0 game and instantly get a spark. I've been cynical about some of the other signings so I'll give credit where credit is due on this one. This is a brilliant pickup by Martinez and a creative way to get some flair into the lineup given our budget.

Koné has that as well!

I think this will prove to be a masterstroke of a signing - some other top 5 clubs were after him as well -

Martinez plays the youngsters - they are unpredictable and unknown factors bursting with energy -

hope he combines well with Barkley in the middle - and Kone and Mirallas - we could be explosive on the counter -

I am looking forward to see us taking on the big boys - counterpunching instead of defending our wickets

Guest rusty747

Never felt such anticipation ahead of a new season. Lets not expect miracles from day one though. I think if we can give Martinez time to get his ideas across and for the team to gel, then we could be looking at Europe for 2014.

Well we got on board (once again) a few names (and there still may be more to come in) and people are excited or optimistic, that's good enough, but some may wait until the real business starts and see how they actually get on or perform individually. We've made some purchases and loan arrangements in the last few days with some recognized names. They may not be of world-class status but hope that each brings something different to the play and they can at least be effective next season and make supporters proud, but waiting until the actual time arrives before getting too carried away.

Wow what a signing, Barkley,Mirrallas,Pienneer aswell with hopefully Felli holding? and weve hardly spent a bean! Barca must have had assurances he will play so many games otherwise whats the point? Guime Ballaugue raves about him

one of the biggest issues I had with Moyes was very often there wasn't really a plan B in stale games. He didn't seem to use substitutions very often, not with the view to go for the jugular in tight games or finishing a game off. I realise he didn't have the resources available to have game changing player on the bench. However, Martinez has ticked that box for this season for very little cost. so that already has me optimistic on how Martinez can build on what Moyes has achieved over the last 10 years. Within a few weeks he has brought the next young hottest property in Spanish football to the club for 12 months. Wow - some game changer

Even if a young and raw Deulofeu is not a regular start, he is definitely a great plan B. I don't think any team are going to enjoy watching him warm up with 20-30 mins to go.

It's been said before but it's a sure relief, if not welcome, to see some names, I wouldn't call it an influx, of new players coming to the club pre season rather than waiting until the last minute for some panic buys names through the door as previously witnessed during Moyes tenure.

These new names, and what with Martinez' offensive philosophies, at least an improvement on before, I even feel optimistic (a word very rarely used this end) that we can finally end the trophy drought for the first time since 1994-95 for next end of season and finally land that elusive piece of silverware so long missing from the clubs trophy room. If these new names can gel and we keep hold of the relevant key players, there could be exciting times ahead once more. Say 'could' as we've yet to see the new players play, and of course Martinez has yet to take charge of an actual game and the season is still yet to arrive, but quietly confident.

I've been trying to keep with this story while traveling around on business. When my plane took off from San Francisco earlier today, there was still no definite news. Then I had to wait an agonizing 4+ hours before I could check again after landing in Atlanta. Whoohoo! This is a fantastic deal. Just think: Barcelona feels sufficiently comfortable with a Catalan coach in England, whose style of play is sufficiently similar to their own, that they are willing to entrust the development of their brightest young stars. Yes, it's only a loan, but it could be the first in an ongoing revolving door of young Barcelona players. How cool is that?

You never know if they keep buying Neymars.

Nah, no chance. He's rebuffed advances from the Premiership since he was 14 years old. Catalan, through & through, he'll be playing for the 1st team soon enough. Enjoy him while he's there, I'm sure he'll become a fan favorite.

He's right foot dominant but is pretty close to being two footed really. Used to be that his preferred & better wing was the left but has done very well on either side - throughout most matches, he will flip flop back & forth depending on the defense.

Gerard is a goalscorer who can dribble, has pace and nose for goal. He's gotten a little bigger in this past year but probably is right at about 5'10". Has had issues with selfishness and failing to track back but that has improved. I'm sure the thinking is under Tino that he will have to learn to improve his overall game. Loves to toy with defenders ala CR so I imagine him getting kicked to bits a bit in the Premiership should toughen him up. I'll be watching a lot of Everton in the coming season to keep an eye on his progress