IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

Good to hear that it may not be so short term, and that we actually might get some benefit from developîng him. If it goes really well, could we see other youngstars from Barca come across too?!?!?!

In that case there should be a balancing act between being a FCB colony and maintaining EFC's historic identity and pride. BTW, not all that comes from FCB is great, let alone fit for the physical high-tempo EPL.

Building a good relationship with Barca can only be a good thing- wherther it's their top youngster coming for experience, loans for fringe players, or even transfer of decent of player that don't quite make the Barca grade can only be a good thing- but the sounds of it the actual cost to us on this deal are relatively small.

Mourinio offering us Lakaku for a year. Chelsea are not shy on loaning player out.

If the top clubs have Everton and Martinez at the top of their list as THE place to send your talented youngsters that's not to bad a thing - even if you change the youngsters every year, it's almost like having a permeanent siging if you can keep them coming though the door. A bench half full of hungary, no fear top quality youngsters looks a decent formula to me.

Building a good relationship with Barca can only be a good thing- wherther it's their top youngster coming for experience, loans for fringe players, or even transfer of decent of player that don't quite make the Barca grade can only be a good thing- but the sounds of it the actual cost to us on this deal are relatively small.

Mourinio offering us Lakaku for a year. Chelsea are not shy on loaning player out.

If the top clubs have Everton and Martinez at the top of their list as THE place to send your talented youngsters that's not to bad a thing - even if you change the youngsters every year, it's almost like having a permeanent siging if you can keep them coming though the door. A bench half full of hungary, no fear top quality youngsters looks a decent formula to me.

I see where your coming from but we should not be doing all the hard work for other teams that will reap the benefit. The premier league is unforgiving, and if £30 mill players can not fit in (Shevchenko, Ballack, etc) What hope a young prospect? Mind you we should be looking to do an Arsenal and nick them when 16! Is that still allowed? :dont know:

As much as I'd want him to start, I wouldn't actually mind seeing him come on at the hour mark or just after. In the last 5 minutes at Cardiff he was imperius, if we start him against Chelsea he may get marginalized. As an impact player though, he could come on and give Cole the run around and make things very awkward for them. As long as it is half an hour and not just 5 minutes.

As much as I'd want him to start, I wouldn't actually mind seeing him come on at the hour mark or just after. In the last 5 minutes at Cardiff he was imperius, if we start him against Chelsea he may get marginalized. As an impact player though, he could come on and give Cole the run around and make things very awkward for them. As long as it is half an hour and not just 5 minutes.

Agreed. He needs at least a half-hour of game time. He needs more than 5 minutes to gel with the players around him. Maybe somebody will actually get on the end of one of his crosses if they develop more of an understanding throughout the game.

Maybe a full start is a better idea, for me, after all?

Agreed. He needs at least a half-hour of game time. He needs more than 5 minutes to gel with the players around him. Maybe somebody will actually get on the end of one of his crosses if they develop more of an understanding throughout the game.

Maybe a full start is a better idea, for me, after all?

Don't get me wrong I'd love it if he started as I think he's a very attacking, dangerous player on the ball. He can put in a variety of crosses and also switch feet and cut inside. Haven't seen much of his shooting but his positioning and reactions are excellent.

My only thought about starting against Chelsea is they have a very strong defense and being away from home I'd warrant they'd play 4-2-3-1 which will make itr even harder to break through. I'd rather save Delofeu's explosiveness for when Cole is getting tired and we can exploit any complacency that surfaces.

I am on the "bring him in as a super sub" boat. His explosiveness and ability to play on the ball is great, but I'm not sure if it will be really effective against a fresh Chelsea that played great against Bayern. I say, bring him in after about 60 minutes after Chelsea has tired, and then he will hopefully have his way against a gassed Cole/Ramires.

Not going to happen. I think Barcelona want to hang onto this kid, and if they did let him go, the pricetag would be way too much for us.

Extremely unlikely, I think he'd have to disappoint for that to happen...He's one of the jewels of the club

Not sure what the argument against playing him more is, Chelsea or whomever...Who else is creating more danger from the wing?

Edited by FCBarça

I completely agree Barca. No one is creating, so he certainly can't do worse.

Martinez has been saying this week that he has settled in quicker than expected, and we'll see him making a big impression in the next few weeks.

He can do worse. He could be a complete liability and dangerous defending, give the ball away. He's a promising kid, but his first start doesn't need to be against Chelsea.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the Toon game, first game of the season I've seen 'cos of a longish holiday in US. For the time he was on the pitch he wasn't really that involved too much but when he was, he reminded me so much of Alex Young, my childhood idol.

He just drifted about, almost godlike with the touch and control that most others can only dream about, the ball seemingly tied to his boot.

He'll either be a mega-star if he gets his head right or a complete twat if he doesn't take direction well. It's all up to him.

Meantime, just enjoy the ride. How far will it go?

I just watched the Toon game, first game of the season I've seen 'cos of a longish holiday in US. For the time he was on the pitch he wasn't really that involved too much but when he was, he reminded me so much of Alex Young, my childhood idol.

He just drifted about, almost godlike with the touch and control that most others can only dream about, the ball seemingly tied to his boot.

He'll either be a mega-star if he gets his head right or a complete twat if he doesn't take direction well. It's all up to him.

Meantime, just enjoy the ride. How far will it go?

Haven't seen such close control and effortless pace when taking on a player from a lad so young. Unbelievable talent, as you say - it all depends on him and how he knuckles down to realise his potential. Nothing to stop him being a complete superstar in the messi/ronaldo mould.

The only way we could dream of signing him permanently is if for some reason he ran his contract down and chose to play for the club he has taken to his heart for a cut of his wage potential... but lets enjoy watching him develop and put our club on the map in spain - as all eyes will be on him...

All of that is true, but he reminds of Cristiano Ronaldo when he first came to Man U. Clearly loads of potential, but needs to develop an end product to his game. i.e. pass the fucker or have a dig. I like the dream of Barca letting him go, and him coming here but I just can't see it sadly.