IGNORED

Joel Robles

Pretty simple Matt, when not facing shots your unlikely to concede goals. If he faces shots where he needs to make better than average saves....and he makes them, then I might change my opinion of him.

You think he has been making great saves while I think he has faced shots that a premier keeper should save. I don't want an average premier keeper, I want a top end keeper to take us another step.

Take the city match.

He has received a lot of credit for his performance and rightly so, even from me. But did city have any efforts that you wouldn't have expected 70% of premiership keepers to save?

That's the way I look at him. A decent enough stop gap, but a stop gap all the same!

I'd agree with most of that. He had the one from Silva that he did better than other might but the rest were simple enough.

From what I have seen he deserves the chance to finish the season as no 1 and try to hold onto it for next season.

I think his positioning is very good, as is his shot stopping, communication. I do have concerns about his ability to deal with crosses.

I hope he can improve this over the course of the season as I think there is a top quality keeper in there, and its nice to have him develop with us and make the position his own.

His ability to handle crosses far exceeds Tim Howard's, and the latter was our #1 for years.

I'm glad more people are coming around to the idea that Joel deserves to be our #1. He's been good and consistent. I just hope he doesn't drop a clanger in the coming weeks to lose that new support. Every keeper has such a moment.

So you think against any average prem keeper they would have scored?

I honestly thought our defence was good and that we didn't give them a clear shot on goal other than the ones Sterling hit high and wide....which to be fair ... didn't need saving.

Watch the highlights again, you'll see the best chance was the free kick which was a basic standard save.

I think he had a good game too, but my point stands....if you don't come necessarily shots you shouldn't concede goals, and any goalkeeper regardless of his level would get the same result.

Aguero would have, yes. Joel rushed out quickly and spared his defence some blushes.

I still don't think he'll ever be a top quality keeper, but I've noticed definite improvements in his game this season. He's actually claiming crosses now, rather than constantly punching everything!

I really want to see him given a run until the end of the season to see how he develops, instead of bringing in someone else over January. We can always re-access at the end of the season and if we end up buying a new keeper for me needs to go out on loan so he can keep learning.

I still don't think he'll ever be a top quality keeper, but I've noticed definite improvements in his game this season. He's actually claiming crosses now, rather than constantly punching everything!

I really want to see him given a run until the end of the season to see how he develops, instead of bringing in someone else over January. We can always re-access at the end of the season and if we end up buying a new keeper for me needs to go out on loan so he can keep learning.

He's too mature a player to go out on loan. Either he's #1 for us or he's #1 elsewhere. Which ever it is, I feel certain he'll be viewed as world-class within a couple of seasons.

He's too mature a player to go out on loan. Either he's #1 for us or he's #1 elsewhere. Which ever it is, I feel certain he'll be viewed as world-class within a couple of seasons.

Just feel as if he's underrated and we'd eventually get more money from any deal if we let him show off his wears on loan first (if we bring in a proper no. 1 for him that is).

Even I won't go that far mate, he'll never be at the Neuer / De Gea standard. But if he gets to the level I think he will, I can see him playing for a CL club, most likely abroad

yep, but even I am not that optimistic

Here's why I think so.

1. He has the build of a good goalie: big reach, big hands, strength.

2. He has the reflexes of a good goalie. We've witnessed that a few times during his tenure with us.

3. Increasingly, he reads the game well and is not afraid to commit. (Usually this pays off, but even the best goalies look bad when it doesn't.)

4. Increasingly, he's assertive and commands his box and defence. Have you seen how much more vocal and animated he's become recently?

5. Increasingly, he has the passion that brings that additional edge to his play.

Yes, time will tell, and I'm usually wrong :), but I really do think he could become a great keeper.

It's not often you see all these things in a single player.

Well, for what it's worth, apparently Tim Howard thinks he'd still be our #1 if he was here, despite losing his spot to Robles last season:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/national/2017/01/17/tim-howard-speaks-out-against-jurgen-klinsmann/96689094/

tim is what brought me to everton. seeing him play for the US and then following everton because of it. but I have lost so much respect for the guy since then. he was being all pompous when his form dropped here and when he left and now this? dude come on, we sold you for a reason. ego, just wow.

tim is what brought me to everton. seeing him play for the US and then following everton because of it. but I have lost so much respect for the guy since then. he was being all pompous when his form dropped here and when he left and now this? dude come on, we sold you for a reason. ego, just wow.

Yeah I was a big fan, too. I met him at an Apple Store in New York about a year and a half ago and he was a super nice dude. I think he was a really good servant for Everton, and for several of the years he was our keeper, I'd even argue he was top 3-5 in the league. But I think he's having a pretty hard time dealing with his declining form as he looks continuously more past it. That whole article, even if some of it was taken out of context, strikes me as the arrogance of a dude who came up before the American consciousness of good football is what it is now and sees himself as a sort of gatekeeper.

That said, Joel was way better than him last year.

Love his attitude. Loved him running the pitch after Lookmans goal.

His ability is questionable, but I'd be more than happy as a fan to see him play the rest of the season. If he keeps getting clean sheets and performing like he has been, I would want him to take the number 1 spot.

Edited by AidanLewis