IGNORED

Rooney

so you're saying he would go to them and tell them he wants to leave to Everton, would like to terminate his contact. they will want to because he's declined and very expensive.

a transfer wouldn't work because we would be stuck with the same contract correct? the above scenario is the only one that would work?

i'm trying to figure this out from a logistic perspective.

No, United would sell him to us, but as he's on the decline it wouldn't be a high fee and they'd be happy to get rid his astronomical wages.

Fripp says move on. Great player who looks highly mediocre these days. There are other fish in the sea that could help our cause way more substantially, and cheaper too. Still like the bloke a lot though - I just hope we kick hiss ass about 6 miles down the road on Saturday though :)

Amen brother!

Not correct, any new contract would be negotiated, the one he's on would be irrelevant.

so let me get this straight. in american sports if i sign 5 year deal with Team A and get traded to team B, they are on the hook for said deal length and pay. the contracts aren't specific to the team.

you're saying mike that one a transfer occurs the current contract is negated (i'm guessing it's just between player and club) and a new deal has to be agreed upon by the new club?

well shit in that case no doubt he could come, i thought it was american style where whoever got him had to pay those ridiculous wages unless he agreed to terminate.

Edited by markjazzbassist

thanks mike and romey, good to understand the transfer dealings better. i'm more optimistic about this, can we get some more guys to have testimonials in the next year or so that would feature rooney? lol

Please tell me that for the whole time you've been following football you haven't thought that whenever we've bought a player we just bought the contract they had with their old club?! :lol:

Please tell me that for the whole time you've been following football you haven't thought that whenever we've bought a player we just bought the contract they had with their old club?! :lol:

yep :leggit:

that's why i was always confused with the "one year left" transfer dealings. now it all makes sense.

Edited by markjazzbassist

yep :leggit:

that's why i was always confused with the "one year left" transfer dealings. now it all makes sense.

Did you not notice that when we've bought players who have like two years left with their current club that we announce they've signed a four or five year deal with us?!

I'm trying not to laugh at your expense but it's difficult :P.

Did you not notice that when we've bought players who have like two years left with their current club that we announce they've signed a four or five year deal with us?!

I'm trying not to laugh at your expense but it's difficult :P.

laugh away, it's very different from the american system. i'd done a fair amount of reading on the subject and still was quite fuzzy. i thought the new contracts signed were just to lock the new signing down to a long term contract. ala we sign player with one year left, we don't want it to expire and them leave after 1 year (like american system), so they sign a long term deal. that's how it works in america i figured that was the same rationale.

Loyalty is one thing (Baines, Osman, Hibbert, etc.); sentimentality is something else. I can't really think of a single good reason, outside of sentiment, why Everton would benefit from signing Rooney.

Winning mentality? He's won everything in our league more than once, a CL winner..... Plus, like Haf says, we're only talking about if he has the quality. Otherwise we wait until he retires and then give him a coaching role (if he wants it).

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, the lad just has natural talent and could even play as the link up striker if needed.

Winning mentality? He's won everything in our league more than once, a CL winner..... Plus, like Haf says, we're only talking about if he has the quality. Otherwise we wait until he retires and then give him a coaching role (if he wants it).

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, the lad just has natural talent and could even play as the link up striker if needed.

Maybe you're right, but I can't help but think he's past his sell-by date. And why would he give up a ridiculously huge salary to join Everton?

Maybe you're right, but I can't help but think he's past his sell-by date. And why would he give up a ridiculously huge salary to join Everton?

As I said before he doesn't need another pay cheque ever to be comfortable for the rest of his life; his status will keep the millions rolling in for the duration. And some things are more important than money; eg Everton :D.

Bill Gates (extreme example admittedly) “I’m certainly well taken care of in terms of food and clothes....money has no utility to me beyond a certain point."

• 2 weeks later...

With every bad performance being roasted by the press and van gaal saying he's tired of talking about Rooney maybe this really could happen. Come on back Wayne, let Roberto get you fired back up!

Its becoming more and more evident that he really is on the decline. I think its true what they say - measuring footballers in years isn't the right thing - they get measured in games.

Rooney used to work excessively hard for someone so big IMO. I used to admire how a player could cover so much ground as aggressively and not look the leanest. I think he will go the MLS as I actually do not think he will have much to offer. Breaking the England goalscoring record has enabled him to rest a little.

The likes of Harry Kane (people still doubt him?), Daniel Sturridge (when fit) will be first choice in the near future.