IGNORED

Conor Grant

Thought he deserved a thread of his own.

The Liverpool Echo:

Just as against Austria Vienna on Sunday Martinez again took the opportunity to road-test several of his younger players last night, with 18-year-old academy graduate Conor Grant making his second consecutive cameo from the bench.

The teenager looked at home alongside Everton’s established internationals, and his confident start to the pre-season has not gone unnoticed by the coaching staff.

“It’s still a physical exercise at this stage with bits of the technical side coming in,” said former Wigan assistant boss Jones.

“But Conor Grant has done great. He’s a young man with exceptional technical ability.

“One long switch of play tonight when the angles were against him and he found his man was great. We’re pleased with his progress, and all of them so far. We’re certainly pleased with the group of players we’ve inherited.”

If this was Moyes I'd have no hope of him seeing first-team action this season despite featuring during pre-season.

It's one of those things that I just didn't get about Moyes during pre-season. He'd play certain players regularly, and in certain positions, and then those players either wouldn't feature hardly at all during the season (despite playing well in pre-season) or in different positions.

Hmmm a left footed winger... Davie would have put him in centre mid to cover for the Barkley who he's playing on the wing.

"Eye, I tried to give these young boys a try and they just weren't ready for that stage, we will put them back with their age group and we will see how they are next year, then I'll think about giving them a one month loan to a club that's in a relegation struggle just so they can really see what it's like to be a journeyman yard dog like I was"

I know. I just don't like people slating Moyes. He did a good job here, I hope Martinez can bring even greater success, but the jury is still out on Martinez.

Would you have settled for another 11 years of Moyes though? Personally I got sick and tired of his cautious ways. For every point he earned from his defensive mindset we lost the odd couple here and there because he was a choker.

The team he constructed was far greater than he realised. A plus and a minus.

I think Grant is a central midfielder, not a winger though. That's certainly where he played these past two games. I don't expect him to have an impact yet this season either. He still played most of his games for the U18 team last season apparently, if he can make the step up to the U21s this season and continue to excell he'll have done fine. He did certainly outplay our U21 midfielder Junior in the Vienna game though and it seems Martinez agrees as he gave him more time than Junior in the Accrington game. Very promising.

I think Grant is a central midfielder, not a winger though. That's certainly where he played these past two games. I don't expect him to have an impact yet this season either. He still played most of his games for the U18 team last season apparently, if he can make the step up to the U21s this season and continue to excell he'll have done fine. He did certainly outplay our U21 midfielder Junior in the Vienna game though and it seems Martinez agrees as he gave him more time than Junior in the Accrington game. Very promising.

Yeh when Junior came on against Accrington I think he had 3 touches and 2 of them he passed the ball straight to the opposition! Not bad for being on the pitch for a couple of minutes! lol

I think Grant is a central midfielder, not a winger though. That's certainly where he played these past two games. I don't expect him to have an impact yet this season either. He still played most of his games for the U18 team last season apparently, if he can make the step up to the U21s this season and continue to excell he'll have done fine.

Connor Grant could be someone we see sooner rather than later. Maybe RM sees him the way he saw McCarthy when he brought him to Wigan from Hamilton as an 18-year-old.

Connor Grant could be someone we see sooner rather than later. Maybe RM sees him the way he saw McCarthy when he brought him to Wigan from Hamilton as an 18-year-old.

McCarthy had experience in the Scottish Premier League though, Grant has experience for Everton's U18 team and a little bit for the U21s. I expect Lundstram and Barkley to get game time ahead of him for now.

Edited by Steve_E

I think someone fucked up with junior we gave him a five year contract and hes been a waste of space.

We havent really seen that much of him though really. When he played against Leeds, Moyes tried to get him to player further up the pitch than he was comfortable with and it didnt work, but even then you could see he had decent technique and could read the game.

I havent seen much of the Vienna game but it sounds like he did alright in a deeper role.

I would say that he doesnt strike me as being anything special but that doesn't mean he couldn't do a job when needed.

for me hes to small anyway,i notice no one has come in for him on loan,id say move him on if possible.

Too small? Really? When did you type this? The dark ages!

I know Barcelona keep worrying, if only Messi was six inches taller he'd be some player.

Also, Zola was crap too. Italian midget!

Look at all of the 18 year olds in big clubs this year, see how many get loaned.

Too small? Really? When did you type this? The dark ages!

I know Barcelona keep worrying, if only Messi was six inches taller he'd be some player.

Also, Zola was crap too. Italian midget!

Look at all of the 18 year olds in big clubs this year, see how many get loaned.

He's referring to Junior and to be fair if the listed heights I've seen for him are correct (1.62m) that could be a legitimate concern, especially considering his position. Even Messi would be towering over him :rofl:

ok I will be blunt hes crap,and I wasn't happy with his response when the final whistle went .

Great shout that lid...I think we should adopt your scouting philosophy and sign a team of 6 footers who looked made up when the final whistle goes after a defeat and tough pre season.

It may mean we may miss out on the next... Maradona, platini, messi, xavi, iniesta, Scholes, mata add a few more great midfielders, but fuck it we could find the next Carlton palmer.

I feel we are wasting money on junior he has a 5 year contract,I'm sure Roberto will sort it out.

I will be shocked if he is still here next season.

wasnt Junior chased by Man City before we signed him up?

Id be shocked if we didnt see him play more.

Yes, there was some controversial arrangement where he left his club in Portugal and ended up training with Man City, and City had to pay compensation for him. He played for City's development squad before he joined us on a free.

must be shite if he played for City....