IGNORED

Bobby v Moyes - if you could have moyes back now would you?

What a funny thread lol.

Ask a simple question and let the internet police rip the question apart haha.

I was a moyes fan but thought e had gone stale.

If we finish top ten I will be happy as long as we build.

So no I wouldn't have moyes back now.We need to build on the excellent job moyes has done now.

The guy was given little help from the board, and still managed to finish just outside the top places. I'm not sure how stale that makes him, but there are a lot of Internet fans who aren't giving him the credit he deserves. He has the United job because in the eyes of United he is the best manager available, and for folk to presume he can't handle that job before a game in anger has been played is amazing, not that anybody on here particularly holds that opinion.

Big difference between the two managers IMO, some managers are great at getting a poor performing team into the upper levels - and moyes has done this well with us. For me a few managers of that calibre stand out - pragmatists:- Moyes, Royle, Fat Sam, Curbishley. They know how to get results with minimum resources. I think Martinez sits with the AVB's, Fergies, Wengers (not of late - too much politics), Guardiolas, Venables (yep - rated him)

Take Big Sam, he earned his move to Newcastle - but his pragmatic style was not right for the geordies. If they were a team of lower talented, struggling to get results etc then yeah, he would have been the man to get them earning points.

Moyes story at Everton was perfect for him to earn a shot at the big stage, struggling team - steadied ship, survived, shipped out old, replaced with young, improved and got top table finishes - great. It was against teams who could not match our workrate where we really flourished. Teams who had a little bit more individual brilliance and robust structure was where he fell short (top 4). For me, Moyes will struggle to get out of that mindset he has utilised for well over 12 years - at united that will not go down well.

I don't know whether Moyes would have kept wigan up last season - if he did, it wouldn't have been pretty. They would have conceded less but I think they would have scored far less. I know one thing, they wouldn't have won the cup with him, he lacks the bottle to have a go the way Martinez did against City in a high stakes game.

I do think Martinez is the perfect fit for us right now, he would have been right 5 years ago IMO, when moyes had done his great work. We were ready for the next stage which I think is what Martinez will provide.

The guy was given little help from the board, and still managed to finish just outside the top places. I'm not sure how stale that makes him, but there are a lot of Internet fans who aren't giving him the credit he deserves. He has the United job because in the eyes of United he is the best manager available, and for folk to presume he can't handle that job before a game in anger has been played is amazing, not that anybody on here particularly holds that opinion.

From my point of view it was more about his negative approach all the time when he didn't need to. The constant sitting back in games hanging on too 1-0 leads and nine times out of ten we would end up drawing these game's, it was so frustrating. That for me is the STALE part to Moyes and i for one had become fed up of it, especially considering the wage he was taking from the club. So far in pre season Martinez has predominately used Moyes players, yet we have looked a completely different team in patches(Barkley under Martinez looks a completely different player to the Barkley under Moyes) Also Osman and Distin have both made comments/digs/whatever you want to call them(let it be known im not overly keen on this and feel both may have been better staying shut) that suggest that the players are happier/more positive under Martinez than they were under Moyes

Like Haf said i think Moyes had his level and Everton are probably about it, and he did a bloody decent job considering those crooks he had to work for, but i think Man U may just be a step too far for him. What does get on my nerves though is these Manc's who won't even give the poor guy a chance, i find that terrible.

From my point of view it was more about his negative approach all the time when he didn't need to. The constant sitting back in games hanging on too 1-0 leads and nine times out of ten we would end up drawing these game's, it was so frustrating. That for me is the STALE part to Moyes and i for one had become fed up of it, especially considering the wage he was taking from the club. So far in pre season Martinez has predominately used Moyes players, yet we have looked a completely different team in patches(Barkley under Martinez looks a completely different player to the Barkley under Moyes) Also Osman and Distin have both made comments/digs/whatever you want to call them(let it be known im not overly keen on this and feel both may have been better staying shut) that suggest that the players are happier/more positive under Martinez than they were under Moyes

Like Haf said i think Moyes had his level and Everton are probably about it, and he did a bloody decent job considering those crooks he had to work for, but i think Man U may just be a step too far for him. What does get on my nerves though is these Manc's who won't even give the poor guy a chance, i find that terrible.

The Internet is full of 9 year old mentalities Si. Any fan without calluses on their dragged knuckles knows that the proof will be in the pudding where managers are concerned, so I try and ignore the fickleness on both teams forums.

Some United fans need to realize a few things:

Fergie has only won the European Champions League twice in over 26 years.

It took him 12 years in the job before he won the first one, and there was a 9 year gap before the next. It has now been 6 years since he won it, so for 'any' fan to judge Moyes on whether he wins that competition is a fool.

The Internet is full of 9 year old mentalities Si. Any fan without calluses on their dragged knuckles knows that the proof will be in the pudding where managers are concerned, so I try and ignore the fickleness on both teams forums.

It took him 12 years in the job before he won the first one, and there was a 9 year gap before the next. It has now been 6 years since he won it, so for 'any' fan to judge Moyes on whether he wins that competition is a fool.

Exactly, they all worship Fergie, if he told them to sing City song's they probably would and the last thing their great leader said before he left was........"Get behind our new manager" and all most of them have done is take the piss, it's poor from the Man U fans, id expect it from the shite but not them.

I think the one thing they are mindful of is that Fergie took over a sinking club, they were going down, they had an ageing - boozing culture. He changed that rapidly and they won the league 6 years later. Previous to this, he had delivered the FA Cup and ECWC.

Moyes has inherited a league winning team. The expectations are vastly different. He needs to deliver success. He aint got a penknife anymore, he's got an Uzi.

No English side was eligible to play in the European Cup until 1990/91 so you can scrap the 26 year thing. And even then, Ferguson did well in the following years, getting United to regular semi-finals and of course the two outright victories. MUFC although prominently a cup side at the time of Fergusons appointment, were still a league threat having been runners up twice in the 1980s and otherwise challenging but AF made it all happen. And then you realize there's a place where all this can go as there's already a Ferguson/ Moyes/ MUFC thread in the general soccer index. This seems to have blown off course a little.

Once again, and all that needs to be said on this issue is that Moyes had his time here. Got to the point where he could do no more. Took the club as far as he was able and after all that, not one trophy to show for it. He won't be a success in his new employment and their supporters have justifiable concerns. Once more, would rather take a chance on Martinez and see where it gets us than more seasons of David Moyes banal tenure.

geez. gave up reading after a few posts.

To answer the question, id rather start the season Martinez.

The question didnt say compare, or judge, or anything like that. Would you;

a ) prefer Martinez

b ) prefer Moyes.

Answer is that simple, here and now, whats your feeling....

Edited by Matt

Sorry to divert back to Moyes at Utd but it does make laugh that Utd fans are moaning that Moyes hasnt signed any players when Fergie was the master of deadline day deals, look at Berbatov and Rooney.

Fergie had them lined up well before the deals were struck - Rooney in particular most definately.

Moyes doesn't seem to have a plan B for missing out on Thiago - Fabregas is and never was gonna happen. The rooney saga seems to be taking over at the moment. I think they are going to regret what has happened there. Its gone past retrievable and he is determined to play for Chelsea.

Roony had problems with Moyes in the past -

Moyes have now publicly relegated him to a backup for Vanpersie -

Roony desperately wants to out but Moyes cannot afford to let him go before he has made a marquee signing -

Moyes is between the devil and the deep blue sea because no world star is falling over his feet to join United

• 3 months later...

prefer martinez. notbing against moyes but i havnt felt this excited about watching everton since the fa cup game against spurs under the royle.

people say we where playing this football under moyes and we probably were, but not for 38 games. only games he thought and we thought were easily winnable games.

breath of fresh air at the moment.

and for anyone who said martinez was questionable at the back. i am going to have it a guess that we've kept mo

re clean sheets under martinez than this time last season under moyes.

I prefer Johan Cruyff if I'm being quite honest.

Let's not get started on Cruyff :jump for joy:

I see how United play and how Everton did last year with Martinez now in charge & it seems quite clear which team/manager combo is the most exciting...Some genuinely exciting play on display now

The best part for you lot is that it's only beginning but also a reminder that it's predicated on two significant players who are loanees

Edited by FCBarça

It's all to easy to get swept away by this good start, Everton were static under Moyes, but no money and static in 5th-7th place was a good achievement.When Moyes arrived here we were in trouble, a good season then was mid-table.

I really like Martinez, but I'll never join the Moyes haters.The early impressions are great and if asked today Martinez or Moyes I'd take Martinez, but that's no slur on Moyes.

Moyes came for Fellaini and he could well be back for Baines, that's his job, get over it!

Moyes did a good job for us, Martinez I hope can do better.

i for one, am not a moyes hater. i think everyone on this forum appreciates what he done for this club from when he first arrived to the last day. on the other hand, you cant ignore the fresh outlook on the team under martinez.

i know its early doors but i am giggling at all those bellends who had blinkers on at the start of the season and didnt want RM cause he was relegated with wigan. even worse, wanted big dunc, neil lennon and stubbs to take on a club of this magnitued. one thing RM has shown in every game is his vast ammount of knowledge being a manger, tactically.

if we were under any of the others we'd be mid table if we were lucky.

I've posted it before, but there's an interesting book been published this year called 'The Numbers Game'. It's a statistical analysis of the game and players - looks at what corners actually deliver in terms of 'output' over a season (fuck all), the striker that scores the most 'important' goals i.e. the decisive ones (it's Darren Bent). Anyway, it picks out managers that have delivered using statistical assessment and chooses Moyes as the King. BUt then it picks out the next manager who will take this strategy even further - it picks out Martinez. Interesting for toffees fans... it just so happens that Martinez has the added benefit of playing exciting football, compared to Moyes anyway. In summary, loved Moyes and grateful to him, really liking Martinez and hope that in 5 years time we will all be saying what a brilliant manager he is.

Here's the reality, Moyes will not be managing a top team in a couple of years... Top teams will be coming in for martinez in a couple of years. I hope we can keep hold of Martinez, I honestly think he is on the brink of something huge.

I agree, I think Roberto is going to take us to the champions league within next three year. Maybe this year? Yeah I've had some Budweisers but the man has got it. You can just tell

Here's the reality, Moyes will not be managing a top team in a couple of years... Top teams will be coming in for martinez in a couple of years. I hope we can keep hold of Martinez, I honestly think he is on the brink of something huge.

Couldn't have said it better....

I agree, I think Roberto is going to take us to the champions league within next three year. Maybe this year? Yeah I've had some Budweisers but the man has got it. You can just tell

Finding it hard to deny having these thoughts myself but the way this leagues going right now, surely its not impossible right????