IGNORED

Transfer prices - STOP NOW - before it gets truly out of hand

Seeing as we have 90 minutes to spare before kick off, I thought I'd point out the sheer and utter lunacy that is football at the moment.

Ronaldo demanding 600k per week.

Bale being touted at 145 million Euro.

These pricks need to knock it on the head, and knock it on the head now, before football truly becomes just a play thing for the stupidly rich, and then dies once they're bored.

We can't sell our damn club for similar money, and they want to sell 'one player'.

Our own transfer dealings in the past have seen us lose out on decent players because we didn't have a few mil to spare, and we are one of the richest clubs in the world in terms of the top 30 or so clubs, so what chance has the rest of the game.

What happened to the so called fair play rule? Leave any player who demands too much from a club 'without' a club. Hell, we were all astounded when they paid 1m for Trevor Francis.

50m for Suarez? 50m for Torrez ? The world is going bonkers, and the game is already nigh impossible for clubs to make legitimate profits.

It's almost like a spoilt child; what they want, they get.

If it costs £125mil and the club is willing to pay that, who's there to stop them? There's no regulation on cost/spending/prices and no cap on wages.

How would you implement those now? They're trying with the new rules regarding European Football but I've not seen anything reported on that for a while now, I don't think I fully understood it in the first place.

Where do you draw the line on wages? Players can demand that sort of money because clubs are willing to pay it, and if they're not someone else most certainly is. If they were to introduce a wage cap, players will leave English shores to play in the leagues without a cap, essentially ruining the EPL and English football. We're already seeing the attraction of Monaco and its tax free status.

Even if they were to roll out the caps across Europe I've no doubt the super-rich sheiks of UAE and the likes would have no trouble in setting up their own leagues enticing the former-European stars over there with promises of great riches!

The clubs (admittedly not all) only have themselves to blame for the huge inflation in prices!

I wish 4am would hurry up...

It's even worse at International level, where they most often than not, don't seem to give two shits about anything, and take home their salaries.

Can see the whole issue here. Has to be an enforced salary restriction here, but it's not going to be implemented anytime soon.

£200,000 a week for kicking a little fucking ball around for an hour and a half, and let's not forget the bonuses tied in like sponsorships and other commercial enterprises. Soccer players are mercenaries at the end of the day, they demand what they want and go to the highest bidder, taking a large amount of cash with them. Trevor Francis and the first million pound deal seems light years away, and it's only going to get more out of hand with each passing season. £70 million plus transfers, Thousands of pounds a week salaries - it's a real pity to see it like this now.

£1,000 a week is enough for anyone in any divison or league of the United Kingdom to live on - or survive - isn't it ? So why not, just keep that at a maximum and make the game sensible again ? Sure they'll be able to make ends meet. Just seems like a bunch of greedy avarice type bunch of miserable fucks in todays day and age. Said it before, money could well be the final end of soccer. Too bad if it actually occurs.

I think the bottom line is, (and as you righty said) this salary restriction thing, will never see the light of day

It's a real shame, as you can't help but get upset knowing some individuals are making thousands of pounds a week for showing little effort or desire, then just putting into their bank accounts and not giving a fuck after the event.

Barton said he was willing to take a half-pay on his salary if Everton took him in, then went against the idea and decided to stay in the South of France anyway, but while that was a nice gesture, he could feasibly have played here without a dime to take home or a penny to spend and still be no off the worse for it, but then that applies to any and all names you could probably include.

Said it before and say it again, it's one reason why lost interest in the game in recent years. Too much money, in salaries and transfers. Players turning into mercenaries with their little demands and stipulations. At some point in time, I'll maybe say "This has gone too far, enough is enough" and just lose all fucking interest altogether.

That's one thing I like about MLS. There is a salary cap on the entire league(minus the allocated "designated player(DP)" spots that teams can have -- no more than three per team). It has really helped the parity of the league. Each team really has a chance to win the cup. However, there are also complaints: Dempsey(DP) will be making $9 mil/year while other STARTERS at other clubs can be making 75K/year(league minimum). You can see how there might be some resentment towards DPs -- especially if they bust -- which some do (ex: Rafa Marquez). Some where saying Cahill is a bust at first, but he's come around lately.

Edited by TonkaRoost

In this situation I think Real have realised that they need to pay big bucks in order to get Bale. Wasn't a £40m bid for Modric (when at Spurs) from Chelsea turned down, even after the player had made his intentions clear that he wanted to leave? If something like that hadn't happened as a precedence, I believe Real should have made bids beginning around the £25m mark, and whilst the first few will no doubt be rejected it will no doubt cause angst amongst the player and perhaps encourage him to seek the move as more bids roll in. I suppose fair play to Spurs for trying to hold onto their stars, but it's also not helping the rest of the game as it's inflating transfer prices to ridiculous levels.

Worst thing with these damn transfers, is someone pays a record price and then someone has to take it upon themselves to go even higher or pay a higher price. When Shearer went from Blackburn to Newcastle in 1996 they paid around fifteen million, but before long I think Leeds paid West Ham even more than that for Rio Ferdinand, and then you'd have names like Veron, Figo, Zidane etc up to the present day and we're looking at transfers today in the 70 or 80 million pound mark. How long now before someone somewhere sells for one hundred million pounds ?

They're just fucking playing individuals damn it. Obscene amounts of cash like that could go to third world countries or worthwhile efforts such as Cancer research. It's gotten completely out of hand now. Seen a lot of talk about this proposed Bale move and 80 million is absurd. I wouldn't even value him at half that amount, but once again, prices today are so goddamn out of control you don't know what to believe sometimes. I miss the days of 'sensible' soccer.

Guest Nikica

Love it or hate it, this is the free market at work. Put salary and transfer caps on place and all the good players will move to other leagues. If we want the EPL to be the best, we have to accept free market principles. If you don't like it, don't watch TV sports. That would stop the funding.

Correct, it's the free market and capitalism in action. Don't like it? Stop going to games, cancel Sky and stream illegally from abroad instead. I agree that it's repulsive but until the fans stop bending over it will only get worse.

By the way though £86m or whatever for Bale :rofl: He's a fantastic player but completely unnecessary for Real Madrid. They're well balanced with Isco-Ozil-Ronaldo behind Benzema as their first choice front four. Bale and Ronaldo are both predominantly counter-attacking players and Isco and Ozil provide the craft. Who they gonna drop for Bale? The superior Isco? If they did do that I'd bet they won't win the CL as they'd really struggle against teams who sit deep and deny them space to exploit, as Ronaldo and Bale suit counter-attacking far better than trying to open teams up. There would be major expectation on Ozil in that scenario.

Bale is a great player and would improve any squad in the world, but £86m is a hefty fee to pay for a guy who wouldn't even make your best first eleven! This is just Perez being a muppet as per usual and trying to turn Real Madrid into Hollywood. He's making the same mistakes he did in the first galactico era. Zidane isn't helping either.

Edited by Nikica

Correct, it's the free market and capitalism in action. Don't like it? Stop going to games, cancel Sky and stream illegally from abroad instead. I agree that it's repulsive but until the fans stop bending over it will only get worse.

By the way though £86m or whatever for Bale :rofl: He's a fantastic player but completely unnecessary for Real Madrid. They're well balanced with Isco-Ozil-Ronaldo behind Benzema as their first choice front four. Bale and Ronaldo are both predominantly counter-attacking players and Isco and Ozil provide the craft. Who they gonna drop for Bale? The superior Isco? If they did do that I'd bet they won't win the CL as they'd really struggle against teams who sit deep and deny them space to exploit, as Ronaldo and Bale suit counter-attacking far better than trying to open teams up. There would be major expectation on Ozil in that scenario.

Bale is a great player and would improve any squad in the world, but £86m is a hefty fee to pay for a guy who wouldn't even make your best first eleven! This is just Perez being a muppet as per usual and trying to turn Real Madrid into Hollywood. He's making the same mistakes he did in the first galactico era. Zidane isn't helping either.

Maybe they will play him at left back! :P

Guest Nikica

Maybe they will play him at left back! :P

Left back in the dressing room...

But nah seriously, it's hard to see where he will fit in. Knowing RM actually I wouldn't put it past them to play him there. With Coentrao probably going and Marcelo's injuries it may come to that lol.

His signing only makes sense if they're losing Ronaldo. That isn't happening so it makes no sense.

Edited by Nikica

WTF is Villash-Bowash bleating on about Real Madrid going public over their desire to sign Bale? (BBC Sport, today).

If he looks a bit closer to home he'll find Spurs were the ones who put anything about Bale being for sale, or not, into the media so shut the fuck up you useless Portuguese twat and stick to doing trailer voice-overs for thriller/horror films.

It's always somebody else with these fuckers isn't it!