IGNORED

Duncan Ferguson

It's all subjective though isn't it. I have no problem at all with people seeing him as a legend, he just isn't to me.

like the "world class" shout... an intangible measurement. By definition it means "among the best in the world" - Tony Hibbert could be world class depending on how many are allowed in that group.

Don't be ridiculous. I can see what type of person he is now and I can make a judgement call on what sort of things he'll be proud about and what incidents he regrets. You seriously think he'll be proud of it?

the topic is legend. Not best footballer, not how many goals he scored. It's about what you tell your kids,grandkids about that person. When somebody asks about big dunc and what he was like years from now. That is the type of thing you will remember. You act like is was the worst thing in the world. It was funny. And showed that he cared. Goals against United at home the turn and shot at old Trafford and things like the guv'nor shitting himself in the Derby all makes the man he was and is. You say that incident made him an embarrassment I disagree. It made me love him more

the topic is legend. Not best footballer, not how many goals he scored. It's about what you tell your kids,grandkids about that person. When somebody asks about big dunc and what he was like years from now. That is the type of thing you will remember. You act like is was the worst thing in the world. It was funny. And showed that he cared. Goals against United at home the turn and shot at old Trafford and things like the guv'nor shitting himself in the Derby all makes the man he was and is. You say that incident made him an embarrassment I disagree. It made me love him more

It's more than goals scored, its influence. As a player he had good and bad, great and embarrassing, moments. Someone you tell you kids about is a brilliant way of putting it, but it's got 2 sides to that argument. As a player for me, I liked him, most of the time because he was good for us. But his bad points are much greater. The choke was a perfect example of this; for me he broke the rules of the game and physically assaulted someone in broad daylight! How is that something of celebrate?! Anywhere else and caught on camera, he would've been arrested (again)

For me, he can make himself a true legend (in my eyes) with the work he has done since he retired. He left the country, and remade his life. That's a courageous thing to do and then to come back and build on it... That's the stuff of a legend in the making; he's educating our youngsters which is an incredibly difficult and noble task. He's not there yet, but if he carries on as "this" Big Dunc; the educator, the leader, he will get the recognition of a true legend. At least, in my eyes...

The choke let's be honest was what many players would have wanted to do to freund, he never got sent off for that, he had already been sent off because freund over reacted to a tussle.

Was Ferguson proud of that? Probably not but he reacted like how many fans felt.

It doesn't make us better people for being able to say "oh yes that's out of order" football players are often at the edge of their limits when they play well.

Look at Mary poppins Shearer, volleyed Neil Lennon right in the grid and could have done serious damage - got off with it because he played the England card. Hypocrisy everywhere, but yeah Duncan was the naughty boy.

I'll tell you what though, fully fit and fully focused he was an absolute sight to behold. I laughed at the Andy Carroll comparisons -not fit to lace his boots.

Read "in search of Duncan Ferguson" a great book.

Shearer isn't a hero for me either. Cracking player but nothing to me.

In the autobiography, did DF ever mention he felt bad for his bad actions? I don't remember a "that was a stupid thing to do, I wish I'd never done it". Whilst people may of wished it is irrelevant. Sports figures are supposed to be "the best of us". He let us, more importantly himself, down with that. Remorse shown for that, and the other incidents, would be a very powerful sign

Shearer isn't a hero for me either. Cracking player but nothing to me.

In the autobiography, did DF ever mention he felt bad for his bad actions? I don't remember a "that was a stupid thing to do, I wish I'd never done it". Whilst people may of wished it is irrelevant. Sports figures are supposed to be "the best of us". He let us, more importantly himself, down with that. Remorse shown for that, and the other incidents, would be a very powerful sign

That's the beauty of it all, he never sanctioned a book. The journo basically did a huge research job on him. Travelled everywhere.

Duncan did say he wishes he controlled his temper better.

It's more than goals scored, its influence. As a player he had good and bad, great and embarrassing, moments. Someone you tell you kids about is a brilliant way of putting it, but it's got 2 sides to that argument. As a player for me, I liked him, most of the time because he was good for us. But his bad points are much greater. The choke was a perfect example of this; for me he broke the rules of the game and physically assaulted someone in broad daylight! How is that something of celebrate?! Anywhere else and caught on camera, he would've been arrested (again)

For me, he can make himself a true legend (in my eyes) with the work he has done since he retired. He left the country, and remade his life. That's a courageous thing to do and then to come back and build on it... That's the stuff of a legend in the making; he's educating our youngsters which is an incredibly difficult and noble task. He's not there yet, but if he carries on as "this" Big Dunc; the educator, the leader, he will get the recognition of a true legend. At least, in my eyes...

i respect your opinion but i cant agree. Can you remember going into a derby or against a great man united team with tony thomas playing at right back knowing you are going to get twatted unless the big man turns up? Do you remember the hat trick against bolton at home to win 3-2? do u remember the apathy that we used to have watching that era? i do and thats why i think the man is worthy of the status. Im not celebrating his over physicality, scap that. in fact i am.

He was a hero of mine as a kid. He'll always be a hero to me. I loved these interviews, I want him to become manager one day and win something with the club. I appreciate that he says he's a blue, but still has some catching up to do with the rest of us fans. Hero, idol, just not quite legend to me.

Talk legend, see Dave Hickson and Brian Labone.

On the Freund thing, of course he regrets it. He's a grown man with a heart and a brain. He enjoys teaching the kids, so he must regret it or he would be teaching them the wrong attitude. I can't believe that I read it was funny. At the time we were all feeling aggressive about it, but funny. Come on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Do you know what he does ?? I didn't know what he did before the other two came in, surely they must now cover everything he had to do.

Not that its relevant but I know he is highly regarded as a coach within the club , so much so that 3 different managers have seen fit to offer him a job in their back room staff

But nobody asked him to stand in as manager, they asked Unsworth who has nothing to do with the 1st team.  Bit of a kick in the nuts for him don't you think.[emoji6]

No not really it’s a different skill set being a coach than it is being a manager, Unsworth had experience , Ferguson didn’t so it made sense to go with Unsy

2 hours ago, Bill said:

But nobody asked him to stand in as manager, they asked Unsworth who has nothing to do with the 1st team.  That must have been a kick in the nuts for him wouldn't you say...;)

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

No not really it’s a different skill set being a coach than it is being a manager, Unsworth had experience , Ferguson didn’t so it made sense to go with Unsy

Besides which he may have been asked..... who knows?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Rumours flying around that he has been sacked , probably BS but had two messages today from different people, one saying he had a bust up with DCL on the coach back from Burnley, another saying it was a fight with Boa Morte

No idea if there's any truth. In this, but I've got to ask, what does he bring to team? We're hardly prolific in front of goal now, and have been for a while, can't say I'm over impressed with him .