IGNORED

Capital One Cup

'Capital One Cup'. Is that what it's now known as. They change the damn name of this competition each season it would almost appear and very difficult to keep up sometimes. In any event, can't see any problems with the opposition in question, although believe they held Newcastle United to a draw in either this or the FA cup in recent years when they had a decent side, so can't be too complacent with this and treat Stevenage with the respect they will deserve.

Everton have never won the League Cup and the overall record is poor since it's inception in 1960/61 with only two final appearances to show for it. Realize it's a genuinely poor and ridiculed competition by some but it's still a trophy and something to finally put back on the honors list. Believe we will have a better opportunity with RM than Moyes before, but not expecting great things in a first season. Our record against lower league opposition is poor with plenty of upsets and shocks going back far enough but expect us to get through on this.

I hope Martinez plays a strong side and doesn't take any chances, we have to respect this opposition and hope nobody thinks this is a done deal before time.

I'd take Europe via winning this cup, to be fair :) For clubs not competing in Europe the extra fixtures aren't too onerous and I think Martinez will rotate the squad a bit more.

no door to Europe should be sniffed at. I know its the Mickey Mouse Cup but theres a chance of European glory.

I'm sure Stevenage will put up a fight but I can't see them doing much against us to be honest (at home especially). I'm sure it will be a good day out for you all like it was for Tamworth a few years ago but I'd say we're going to win pretty comfortably. I'll stick my neck out and say 3-0. I'd be dissapointed if we concede.

I'd like us to start with something like this.

Joel.

Coleman, Duffy, Stones, Oveido

Deulofeu, Barkley, Kennedy, Mirallas,

Kone, Vellios.

I wouldnt fuck about and play too many youngsters. We all know what will and has happened in previous domestic cups to various premier league teams and it's better to play it safe IMO.

I'd like to see jelavic start to bag a few and give him the confidence to carry on. Also I would like to see barkley start and maybe delofeu (do we have a nickname for him yet because I still have no idea how to spell his name!) apart from that id like to see an experienced back 4. We could always bring the youngsters on if we're leading comfortably.

Fair enough. Needs to be scrapped, or we need to stop entering. It's not compulsory. European qualification is the only reason for taking part. I would not like EFC to qualify for Europe via this competition.

You dont want Everton to win a competition that comes with a European place? I really fail to see the negatives.

You dont want Everton to win a competition that comes with a European place? I really fail to see the negatives.

only negative I can see is extra games to be played with a small squad. But then, I think they should be able to play 60 games a season without issue so, yeah, no negatives in my opinion!

only negative I can see is extra games to be played with a small squad. But then, I think they should be able to play 60 games a season without issue so, yeah, no negatives in my opinion!

I can understand this (and StevO) but it's not for me. I have no interest in a 'European place' for a 'European place' sake because "we qualified for Europe". To start playing competitive European football at the back end of July or start of August is a joke. Yes, other countries (Russia, for example) are forced to play football outside of their domestic league season but it's not for me. We're not Russian, Norweigian, Icelandic...........

I'm all for change but football is predominately an autumn and winter sport. I'm all for change if the change is for the better of the game and its supporters, not if the change is simply to generate revenue and to 'fit in'. Weren't we asked to kick-off at 5.45pm on a Tuesday the last time we were in this Europa Cup/League and they wondered why there weren't more people watching. Not everyone lives on Spellow Lane and works an early shift at Costcutter.

They'll be thinking about playing The World Cup in winter next, mark my words, because it's too hot...... ;)

Nah, not for me, you can shove The Europa Cup/League under its current format up your arse (not yours or StevO's arse.. ... metaphorical arse)

Yes, I would like to see Everton win a cup. I'm just not bothered about this one.

I can understand this (and StevO) but it's not for me. I have no interest in a 'European place' for a 'European place' sake because "we qualified for Europe". To start playing competitive European football at the back end of July or start of August is a joke. Yes, other countries (Russia, for example) are forced to play football outside of their domestic league season but it's not for me. We're not Russian, Norweigian, Icelandic...........

I'm all for change but football is predominately an autumn and winter sport. I'm all for change if the change is for the better of the game and its supporters, not if the change is simply to generate revenue and to 'fit in'. Weren't we asked to kick-off at 5.45pm on a Tuesday the last time we were in this Europa Cup/League and they wondered why there weren't more people watching. Not everyone lives on Spellow Lane and works an early shift at Costcutter.

They'll be thinking about playing The World Cup in winter next, mark my words, because it's too hot...... ;)

Nah, not for me, you can shove The Europa Cup/League under its current format up your arse (not yours or StevO's arse.. ... metaphorical arse)

Yes, I would like to see Everton win a cup. I'm just not bothered about this one.

The Europa League is predominately played in autumn and winter, isn't it?

I enjoy European football because its a chance to play against teams we don't see every week and its a different test.

Doesn't the league cup winner go into the comp at the last qualifying stage, which is late August?

I respect your opinion on it Cake, I just don't agree. Doesn't really after anyway, it's not this seasons problem.

I'd rather win a trophy again than get a european berth, and even then winning the League Cup gets you in now, as believe Swansea City will be involved next season but they change it so often you just can't keep up sometimes. Say it every time, but it's been 18 long years since this club won anything, and for a club of our stature, it's simply not good enough. Some may even see it as a little embarrassing. I don't care if it's even the damn League Cup, if we could win this it would great to finally win something again. I'd take that over sneaking into a UEFA cup place in the final weeks right now. I want to see this club win something again. We say it every time.

I'd rather win a trophy again than get a european berth, and even then winning the League Cup gets you in now, as believe Swansea City will be involved next season but they change it so often you just can't keep up sometimes.

Swansea are already involved, they've played the two leg qualifying tie against Malmo (and won it).

The criteria for European participation has barely changed at all in my memory, so I don't see how you find it difficult to keep up :huh:. Names of the competitions have changed but beyond that everything's the same as it's been since the rebranding of the European Cup to the Champions League.

In recent years League Cup winners haven't always been eligible for a european place, and then they change it for the next season. I think when Leicester City won the trophy either in 1997 or 2000 they didn't let League Cup winners in although remember Blackburn and Middlesbrough participating at least. First and foremost the initial dispute was about entry into europe via the League Cup, not any other competition, but we'll let it lie.

In recent years League Cup winners haven't always been eligible for a european place, and then they change it for the next season. I think when Leicester City won the trophy either in 1997 or 2000 they didn't let League Cup winners in although remember Blackburn and Middlesbrough participating at least. First and foremost the initial dispute was about entry into europe via the League Cup, not any other competition, but we'll let it lie.

Yes they have. Leicester were in the UEFA Cup in both 97/98 (lost to Atletico Madrid in round one) and 2000/01 (lost to Red Star Belgrade in round one)....we've had this discussion before DK and (same as last time) you're just plain wrong I'm afraid ;). But I'll let it lie.

I can't remember every little detail from the past. Some parts of my life are a complete blackout, but remain adamant that at some time in the recent past, they decided that League Cup winners weren't eligible to participate. Lo and behold the very next season, they let them back in again. I think we'll let this go now and merely concentrate on the task in hand that is Stevenage in the first round, and in all seriousness, a potential elimination at what would be a very disappointing stage. Seen before how lower league opposition can cause problems with us, so all a bit cautious with this.

The Europa League is predominately played in autumn and winter, isn't it?

No. It starts in the summer and the final is in spring. The League Cup is just about predominately autumn and winter, starting in August (for us) with the final now usually in February.

Autumn/winter isn't the issue, anyway, but never mind.

I enjoy European football because its a chance to play against teams we don't see every week and its a different test.

Doesn't the league cup winner go into the comp at the last qualifying stage, which is late August?

I respect your opinion on it Cake, I just don't agree. Doesn't really after anyway, it's not this seasons problem.

Likewise StevO.

Swansea played their first Europa game on 1 August at home against Malmo, with the away leg on the 8th. Petrolul Ploiesti, the current Romanian cup holders, are Swansea's next opponents in The Europa Cup. Petrolul Ploiesti fans are known for their 3D choreographies! Now there's four hours television time which would go down well in North Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to interrupt again but is there any sort of precedent set as to ticket prices?

Do you normally cut prices to get the punters in to watch your mob play teams full of plumbers and postmen?

Yup....league cup prices have been about £15 adults and a fiver for kids for this kind of game in recent year if I recall correctly.

Confirmed as £15 adults and £5 kids.

And of that "highlights" program, you'll be fortunate to see more than a quick glimpse of how we get on. In the event of a Stevenage shock win they'll show more of it for sure, but as it is, you're looking at maybe a few minutes, if that. I can't stand ITV any more than I do the other, but at least they seem to show highlights a little longer, from what I recall watching.

The BBC always treated us with contempt on their shows or turned up their fucking noses when it came to putting on Everton highlights from respective games, so don't be surprised if it's only a short view - and we get featured last, just for good measure.

Notice a lot of you talking about the Europa league a lot along with the Capital cup. To me the Europa league is the side

issue. Wish to explain myself with a perspective from an unsuccessful then a successful Everton. Bear with me and you,ll see what im

getting at.

1. Take Mick Lyons the unluckiest Everton captain ever, one of my earliest Everton heroes, a true stalwart who would run through

walls for the club. Captain at a time when Liverpool were winning absolutely everything and how hard that was for us fans.

A, In 1977 we lose the league cup final to Aston Villa after 2 replays.

B. Same year F.A cup semi final, we are drawing 2-2 with Liverpool. Bryan Hamilton scores a perfectly good goal. Infamous ref Clive Thomas

calls it wrongly offside, we are thrashed 3-0 in the replay at Maine Road.

C. 1980 F.A cup semi Final replay Elland Road. We are 1-0 down 10 mins left, Brian Kidd equalises we press forward.

Then in extra time right at the death Frank Lampard breaks our hearts. Total and utter despair, awful to take.

D. No medals in his whole career for a great Evertonian. Ditto, Andy King, Terry Darracott, Ronnie Goodlass, George Wood ( loved him, great keeper, great bloke) In fact my best memory from around 1975-80 and the only consolation was the Andy King screamer that beat that legendary Liverpool

team at Goodison in 1978.

Another great sweat blood for the club type Mark Higgins in the early 80,s ..No medals.

Now the success, one of the best days of my life. Sat May 19th 1984 F.A cup final v Watford.. From my point

Went to Wembley along with a mate no ticket, went in hope. About 12.15 on the day we bought two £5 terrace tickets for £30 each.

Bear in mind you could have a good night on £5 in those days.

They were Watford end tickets, so we went shouting around the mingling Watford fans for a swap. We exchanged with a father and son

who had Everton end tickets.

Behind the goal where Sharpy scored the first goal, Andy Gray got the 2nd..

seeing Kevin Ratcliffe lift that trophy, hard to describe the elation, the heart bursting pride, the sheer magic of it.

We of course went on to be fantastic, but nothing will ever beat that day. So special, so proud, the sheer joy among our fans that day

was unbeleiveable.

You might think ive rambled or think whats my point, but its simple. We now gone 18 years without silverware, we are not of the stature we were,

to us fans Everton are the biggest and best club on earth. But around Europe we are not thought of that way.

So the Capital One and the F.A cup are our most realistic chance of doing something, and hope we go full tilt for both.

People go on about your 4th place ,and your Europa league all they like, but I want to see an Everton captain (hopefully Jags this Season)

climb those Wembley steps an lift a trophy for Everton football Club.

That's what is remembered, that's what matters. Take hibbo for instance, imagine him getting a medal before his career finishes and what it would mean.

When players retire they want to say to their grandkids I won that medal in a cup final for Everton.

The Europa league is a bonus or not, but the traditions we love, the if you know your history, everthing we treasure about our clubs heritage

comes from the Everton teams that won trophies.

To any younger Evertonian, who has,nt seen it happen in their lifetime, I would say. Keep loving the club, keep you faith good times and bad.

cos believe me Everton winning a trophy is the most fantastic feeling on this earth, and I hope we,ll see it again.

Long post but hope you all understand why I had to say it.

Edited by StevO