IGNORED

So where are we going to finish?

amen. plus were getting everyone back now, hopefully everyone will stay fit and we can turn it up for the last third of the season.

I say that keeping Utd in mind.5 points is only 2 wins where we lose and draw - perfectly possible. 5 teams playing for 2 places and bar a catastrophic fuck up from one of the 5 (which I cant see) this is going to be a very close run end to the season

Guest blueboy122

Someone mentioned that in the Liverpool match day thread. That the 4-0 battering could come more as a positive then a negative and be the push that we need to kick on.

Guest blueboy122

I think the whole season is getting interesting now.

If Chelsea win tonight it will make the title race more fun too!

It could go either way for Everton, lets hope the arse kicking we got last week becomes a spring board.

Little chance of that but we can live in hope.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-0 or 4-0 win to city IF Chelsea set up the way they usually do being defensive and looking to counter.

Guest blueboy122

Little chance of that but we can live in hope.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-0 or 4-0 win to city IF Chelsea set up the way they usually do being defensive and looking to counter.

Or not..... Cant believe Chelsea won!

Mad result

This season has been brilliant for spectators

Guest blueboy122

I hope we can break into the top 4 but we need a slip up from the top teams to have any chance. All we can do is keep on winning games. :)

Exactly I would tell the players not to even bother looking at the table and don't put any pressure on themselves just take every game as it comes and just try and beat what's in front of you..

Guest rusty747

I think that the current top 3 will finish in the top 3 - though it could be in any order. I hate to say it but I think 4th place is Liverpool's to lose. If we can avoid defeat (and hopefully win) at Spurs then we can start to apply some pressure back on the RS and put some daylight between ourselves and Spurs and Man U.

It's then a matter of form, injuries and suspensions. If we can get an in form first XI out every week to the end of the season then I have a sneaking feeling that we just might pip RS to 4th but we will need big results away to Spurs and Chelsea and at home to both Manc clubs to do it. But we can do it.

NSNO

Sin Miedo

We are going to finish 5th or 6th.

We proved who's the boss for that position at Anfield. Other than taking a hammering in that game we have an habitual habit of getting draws. Just look at the stats.

Like Liverpool did against west brom? Like we turned a 1-0 deficit into a win???

Hmmm take it you think things should be better under Martinez??? Based on previous years showings I am very pleaded overall.

Can't forecast where we are gonna finish on the back of one shite result....because if you do, then where are arsenal gonna finish?!!!

We are rank outsiders for 4th, in fact most out there think spurs and utd will finish above us. And fair play to the kopshites, they are rightly favourite for 4th...but they ain't to clever away from home????

So, let us be outsiders. We have done well this season so far. The changes made have been great. I didn't expect too much this season, a battle for 5th at best. Next season....that's when the real fun begins!!!

Edited by Newty82

I'm not giving up on fourth at all. Arsenal may be having their "bad run" and the wheels might fall off as they usually do. Again, when Liverpool are allowed to play the way they want they will beat most teams due to the forwards. Villa recently shown how to play against them and if suarez or Sturridge gets injured they will struggle.

Like Liverpool did against west brom? Like we turned a 1-0 deficit into a win???

Hmmm take it you think things should be better under Martinez??? Based on previous years showings I am very pleaded overall.

I think it could be better. If I didn't I'd be happy with the position we are in now. It's pretty similar to where we where under Moyes last year. It's the draws.

If we want to be genuine contenders we need to kick the habit. We need to turn draws into wins. Look at the teams above us. A couple less losses than those teams but they have more wins.

1 win and a loss is better than drawing 2!

However the quality of squad at Martinez disposal should be able to turn games in our favour. The injuries of late haven't helped, hopefully we can crack on and take 3 points rather than 1.

It's a must win at Spurs to keep breathing down Liverpools necks. Once the gap opens a little further it will be goodnight 4th.

I think it could be better. If I didn't I'd be happy with the position we are in now. It's pretty similar to where we where under Moyes last year. It's the draws.

If we want to be genuine contenders we need to kick the habit. We need to turn draws into wins. Look at the teams above us. A couple less losses than those teams but they have more wins.

1 win and a loss is better than drawing 2!

However the quality of squad at Martinez disposal should be able to turn games in our favour. The injuries of late haven't helped, hopefully we can crack on and take 3 points rather than 1.

It's a must win at Spurs to keep breathing down Liverpools necks. Once the gap opens a little further it will be goodnight 4th.

Be real honest, what were your expectations pre-season?

• 2 weeks later...

Come the end of the seaon I dont think that the league table is going to look too disimilar to what it is now, our failure in the January window looks like it has cost us any remote chance we had of CL football but hopefully City will win the League Cup final and one of the toop 5 will win the FA Cup, if not us, and we will hold onto 7th to get a Europa League place

I think United will march on now. Their team looked very balanced yesterday.

Spurs are rolling teams over, liverpool are too good going forward.

That leaves us in 7th. Shite season if we don't get the cup.

Spurs Rolling teams over??? Not really no.

Man United looking very balanced??? They beat palace and looked anything but convincing.

Any days where you think "I'm really enjoying this season"

Well, said it before (I think), still have the same thoughts.

7th is a realistic place for us 'on paper'...those teams currently above us are the correct ones 'on paper'...just in a slightly different order to what I expected.

We've done well. Very well. It aint over yet, not by a long way. We have 3 home games against utd, city and arsenal...we have a big say in what goes on above us. Our other games should, 'on paper', see us pick up a load of points.

Lukaku will be back soon, hopefully his little break will have reinvigorated him and he'll finish the season how he started. If he does, I wouldnt place too much coin on us finishing 7th!!!

I dont think 7th is a shite season, its about as good as we can realistcally expect to finish until things change off the pitch

I know 7th under Moyes would be deemed a failure by some so it will be interesting to see what 7th under Roberto is classed as should we end up finishing there

After a few years it wasn't about what we were finishing under Moyes, it was his brand of football firmly pigeon holed us in the 5th to 8th category.

Under Martinez are seeing progressive traits whilst getting similar points which is exactly what I've been hoping for. I would have sacrificed a few places to see that happen. The longer term potential under Martinez is so much better than we could have hoped for under Moyes glass ceiling mentality.

We are like the footballing tiger woods, we have a new swing and when it beds in we will see the results.

Pretty much bang on Haf. I find we share similar thoughts (mostly!!). So I dont post as much, because you've usually beat me to it!!!

Anyway, we were 2 or 3 years needing a new era. When you get it, you expect a period of stumbling, as players and the club adjust.

To see what has happened on the pitch...the style, the mentality etc is really pleasing. The only ones left dissapointed are those who expect too much or just see a league table placing as a bragging right with their mates.

Thats not to say there may have been an error of judgement along the way, time will tell on these 'hot topics'.

Im not bothered where we sit now, its where we sit after game 38 that counts.

After a few years it wasn't about what we were finishing under Moyes, it was his brand of football firmly pigeon holed us in the 5th to 8th category.

Under Martinez are seeing progressive traits whilst getting similar points which is exactly what I've been hoping for. I would have sacrificed a few places to see that happen. The longer term potential under Martinez is so much better than we could have hoped for under Moyes glass ceiling mentality.

We are like the footballing tiger woods, we have a new swing and when it beds in we will see the results.

I totally agree that we are playing better football and I think we are far more likely to do well in the FA Cup under Martinez because he will have a go on the big occasions.

However I just think that the galss ceiling is still firmly in place and that we are nowhere nearer breaking it than we have ever been,

That isnt a reflection on Martinez because I dont think that there is a manager on the planet who could smash us through that barrier because we simply havent got the money to compete. We need a clinical 20+ goals a season CF and we cant shop in that market

IMO until things change drastically off the pitch then that ceiling will always be there

I dont think 7th is a shite season, its about as good as we can realistcally expect to finish until things change off the pitch

I know 7th under Moyes would be deemed a failure by some so it will be interesting to see what 7th under Roberto is classed as should we end up finishing there

7th will be a very very disappointing position considering our standing at the end of December.

Spurs Rolling teams over??? Not really no.

Man United looking very balanced??? They beat palace and looked anything but convincing.

Any days where you think "I'm really enjoying this season"

United team last night looked very balanced on paper and they turned a shite game into a win against a team that we drew 0-0 with. They have players in attacking positions that can each win a game on their own.

Spurs have taken 20 points from their last 24 available in the league. They've only been beat by City in their last 8 outings. That's very very strong form.

We have taken 8 points from 24. Not hard to do the maths.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Guest rusty747

We need the players who are just back from injury to start showing some form and fitness pronto. Let's be honest. It is now between us and Man U for sixth - which should be good enough for Europe. Top 5 will now finish top 5.