IGNORED

U21 campaign

Matt

Great finish from Conor. not the first time he has hit shots like that is it.

I really pray this lad stays fit now and can maybe get a cameos come the end of the season. Maybe get some game time pre-season too.

Still have his introduction against Arsenal ingrained in my mind. If that shot would have been two inches to the left we would have been screaming about him.

Good luck Conor for the rest of the season.

Great finish from Conor. not the first time he has hit shots like that is it.

I really pray this lad stays fit now and can maybe get a cameos come the end of the season. Maybe get some game time pre-season too.

Still have his introduction against Arsenal ingrained in my mind. If that shot would have been two inches to the left we would have been screaming about him.

Good luck Conor for the rest of the season.

Probably a good thing it didn't. Would've drawn too much attention to him and put pressure on him. I still feel like he needs first team action... Maybe 3-6 months on loan would do him good next year, and he could come back in the winter some time when our squad is starting to collect a few knocks, injuries, and get a bit tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Really made up that the kid is doing brilliantly, but am I the only one that feels like he could be a victim of the death of 4-4-2 footfall? I feel like he'd do brilliantly next a big striker, but hasn't quite the physical presence to play up top on his own.

This winds me up so much.

Sturridge, Aguero, Suarez all top top premier league strikers, would you say they were physical players? You need the physicallity if you dont have the technique, as you need something to beat a defender, i get that (Bony at Swansea, Dzeko at City, to a lesser extent even Lukaku). But the way we play football, he's not going to be asked to turn his man, Win headers or shrug defenders off the ball. If he did play he would play between the lines and make runs beyond the defender. He's never going to have the physicality to play in this league, so he's finding a way in the U21's to beat people with his skill and technique, its now just a question of whether he can do that against premiership defenders.

The days of Little and Large striking partnership are long gone IMO. The kid does sound exciting though and i think he could be a great striker up top on his own or possibly interchanging with the 2 wingers, similarly to the shite with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling.

This winds me up so much.

Sturridge, Aguero, Suarez all top top premier league strikers, would you say they were physical players? You need the physicallity if you dont have the technique, as you need something to beat a defender, i get that (Bony at Swansea, Dzeko at City, to a lesser extent even Lukaku). But the way we play football, he's not going to be asked to turn his man, Win headers or shrug defenders off the ball. If he did play he would play between the lines and make runs beyond the defender. He's never going to have the physicality to play in this league, so he's finding a way in the U21's to beat people with his skill and technique, its now just a question of whether he can do that against premiership defenders.

The days of Little and Large striking partnership are long gone IMO. The kid does sound exciting though and i think he could be a great striker up top on his own or possibly interchanging with the 2 wingers, similarly to the shite with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling.

Sure, these players may not be the biggest, but you're kidding yourself if you think they haven't got pretty good to excellent amounts of strength when it comes to holding off challenges. It's not much use being able to shimmy and burst past players if you can't hold off a secondary challenge or don't have the strength to work in congested areas of the pitch (at least in the prem).

I really hope he makes the grade though. I'd be great if he could get another chance on loan before the season's out to bag himself a few goals and really give himself something to build on heading into next season.

Sure, these players may not be the biggest, but you're kidding yourself if you think they haven't got pretty good to excellent amounts of strength when it comes to holding off challenges. It's not much use being able to shimmy and burst past players if you can't hold off a secondary challenge or don't have the strength to work in congested areas of the pitch (at least in the prem).

I really hope he makes the grade though. I'd be great if he could get another chance on loan before the season's out to bag himself a few goals and really give himself something to build on heading into next season.

Thats like a bare minimum requirement for most offensive players. It's not going to come down to that to judge whether he can play upfront on his own.

Aguero's one of the most physical strikers you'll find. He's an absolute tank.

Massive exageration. Though i know where your coming from.

I Think your missing the point im trying to make. What im saying is that McAleny is more a type of Aguero, Suarez type player (Im not saying he's going to be anything like as good) than a Dzeko or Lukaku. And i dont see his strength being a major factor in deciding whether he can play up top on his own or not, when you consider our style of play.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...