IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Just coming back in to revisit this thread and I'm quite surprised at the thoughts about Neville. I can appreciate other people's views but as I say earlier I thought he did a decent job for him. True I don't hold the Moyes view of wanting 11 Phil Neville's in my team but with his limited ability he did a job for us.

• 5 weeks later...

Gibson is not s first time player though. not mobile enough.

Im not fussed whether we get Barry or not to be honest.

Storming start to the season and then he trailed of a bit. He is a class act but his age is catching up with him and he gets caught in posession way too much for a holding midfielder.

I know thats not going to make me popular haha.

I still feel we need to look for that box to box player and let McCarthy do what he does best.

Gibson could be the squad player if Barry doesnt stay.

Is he better than Gibson?

I rate Gibson and don't see the point in breaking the bank wage wise for Barry.

He is better than Gibson yes. And more reliable.

BUT Gibson still has a big role to play for us, whenfit.

If the contract is decent, I see no harm in having Barry for another year or two.

I can't believe anyone rates Gibson over Barry. Ever present on the pitch (plus title medal) vs ever present on the physio table. No brainer for me....

A mate text me the other day, Gibson was in his mates pub over the weekend - absolutely bladdered and full of himself. Mate (who is united fan) actually told him what he thought - his hangers on didn't like it. Mate is no angel, he loves a bevvie, just said Gibson was an absolute beaut and out of his head.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he stays but I wouldn't massively overpay him. If he wants to stay and enjoy competitive football with an attacking team, a two-year contract with normal wages should be a good deal for all the parties involved.

If he really wants the money, then the MLS/Qatar is waiting.

The Times are saying he's weighing up a move to MLS (Man City's affiliate NYC FC start their season in March 2015).

I'd honestly be surprised if MLS wanted him... for a player like Barry, he would need a "designated player" contract to cover his wages; most teams are only allotted 3 maximum. I get the NYFC-Man City link, but MLS brokers most of the deals, so ultimately, the final say on whether or not a player can join a club is decided by them. (See the problem with Edu joining the Union from Stoke City).

Now I love Barry, and he is a fantastic player, but MLS isn't going to splurge on a player that isn't exactly "sexy" or an American player from abroad. Even though there is the Man City link, I just don't see it happening. Look at Henry, Nesta, Beckham, Ljungberg -- Cahill acts as an outlier for me, but he's still an exciting player to watch -- MLS is trying to bring in recognizable names to help build the reputation of the league.

I guess it's not impossible, but Barry would have to take a significant decrease in pay(even though he'd be on a DP contract, I still doubt they would come close to matching his wages at city), and he's not the type of signing that excites fans, although he would definitely be a good signing.

Just my two cents.

On a free, albeit with decent wages, i'd love him to stay for a couple of years. Hes perfect for McCarthy to learn from.

Before yesterdays game they showed with Barry in the team we win 63% of Matches, with McCarthy we win 61%. They are so vital as pair for how we play.

Exactly. Every one has a bad game, even a handful during the season. I would hope we keep him and get another youngster in to rotate so we gets rested a bit more. Hes played pretty much the whole season, hasnt he?

Guest Nikica

Similar player to Carrick. Never been world-class, but still better than many fans give the pair of them credit for. Understated, clever midfielders.

You would think with such a long premier league career he has enough dough in the bank to not ask for daft money. Ive read articles before on him where the reporter has met him at his house in the north west. His wife and kids are settled and he has no intention of leaving the area. He reportedly wants to stay so give him a two year contract straight away

I'd like him to sign but I feel his form tailed off towards the end of the season and he became less influential. Of course, that could be down to fatigue after playing almost every game of the season and he's not the only one who looked tired towards the end. If we can sign him for a couple of seasons as well as a younger DCM to share the workload then I think the squad would be better able to maintain their standards.

I wouldn't mind having him but can he do a full season Inc. Europe? He'll be 34 next season. He'll be great for the younger players to learn off, seems very professional etc.

But £100k per week? No chance. Even £75k per week, nah. Some other club may offer him more than we can. And money, as well as agents, does talk.