IGNORED

Gareth Barry

I'd have him. I think the holding midfield role is the role we need to strengthen most. We only have Gibson for that position at the moment. Barry might even be able to displace him. It's someone who was a regular starter for City against someone who could not get a game for United. I don't care about his age either as it's a loan move. I think it's likely we have no more money left to make any permanent signings and are now looking in the loan market, I think Barry's about as good as you're gonna get in that area (if he's even available that is). As it's a loan, his age doesn't matter either. It's only for a season.

Assuming we're playing a double pivot in midfield, we'd have Barry and Gibson for the holding role. Fellaini (the mobile and athletic midfielder) or Osman (a more clever player who will play between the lines and link up play on a good day) for the role next to them. Barkley or Naismith or Pienaar for the role in the hole.

Yes but Steve if we counter attack at speed we need defensive midfielders to be able to be up just in front of the box not thumb in bum around the halve way line though........ hell we need to make the move up the pitch as a team not in one's and two's waiting to be picked off at will, most coaches say no more than 35 yards between the last midfielder and the furthest forward. With Barry we will leave a gaping hole big enough Jan Molby could walk through..........

Yes but Steve if we counter attack at speed we need defensive midfielders to be able to be up just in front of the box not thumb in bum around the halve way line though........ hell we need to make the move up the pitch as a team not in one's and two's waiting to be picked off at will, most coaches say no more than 35 yards between the last midfielder and the furthest forward. With Barry we will leave a gaping hole big enough Jan Molby could walk through..........

Forgive me if I'm missing your point as I'm foreign and don't always get exactly what is meant when people use more idiomatic expressions, but I think you're complaining about Barry not being fast enough to counter attack? I honestly don't see why you would even want him too. He's the holding midfielder. I think we'd be overcommitting people forward if we'd have the holding midfield player to sprint towards the opposition's box on counter attacks at every opportunity.

For a long time none of our forwards or wingers really had the pace to be able to run in behind defenders or the skill to beat them one on one. We now have that main outlet for counter attacks in Mirallas. If we can find him early we'll be dangerous. I'd like him to come into the middle for our offensive transitions so he can progress down the middle. Of course he will still need support but that should be from the striker, the other winger, the number 10 and preferably Fellaini.

I recognize he's an established name with a rich club history who many have praised. I'd be all for an opportunity such as this to take him in on a loan deal. It's not as if it's on a permanent basis for those that are against the idea. Could be a very worthwhile addition, but if some are against the move, then it's good enough. He's been a dependable player for the most part with his respective clubs. If we can bring in Cathy Barry (also) as part of the deal, got the best of both worlds.

I always go with gut instinct. No no no...... It is all too easy to mask your true thoughts... (A) because he is an established premiership player who had been there and done that (b)because he is in the heart of a top European side and finally and most importantly © because this feels like a true link and not another fabricated pile of shit, so automatically sits you up and starts to question your thoughts for disliking this player..... Go with your gut, he's too slow, he,s too big, he's too old and there is far better players out there.

Edited by Brett Angel

I'm still not understanding how he isn't "what we need." Maybe he's not the ideal player, but - again - what happens when Fellaini and/or Gibson is unavailable?

I'll try saying this in a different way than what I've already said in the hope that different words will get understanding.

We need a player who will effectively be able to move about the pitch to break up play. Gareth Barry is so slow you could crawl past him and still leave him for dead. I don't know if you watched the game when England were destroyed by Germany and Barry played... well, that would be enough to make any one be put off signing him. He may as well have not been on the pitch for all the fucking use he was. It was embarrassing.

If we're going to be playing a more attacking game, as we expect, then we need a player who can cover for any slip-ups we make further up the pitch and I really don't think Barry is capable of it now.

I'll try saying this in a different way than what I've already said in the hope that different words will get understanding.

We need a player who will effectively be able to move about the pitch to break up play. Gareth Barry is so slow you could crawl past him and still leave him for dead. I don't know if you watched the game when England were destroyed by Germany and Barry played... well, that would be enough to make any one be put off signing him. He may as well have not been on the pitch for all the fucking use he was. It was embarrassing.

If we're going to be playing a more attacking game, as we expect, then we need a player who can cover for any slip-ups we make further up the pitch and I really don't think Barry is capable of it now.

Fair enough, though I still see us as better off with him than without him. Like I said, he's far from the ideal acquisition but, realistically, I wouldn't be upset if he was brought in.

The daily mail - is still part of the plans but will struggle to get time on the pitch :huh:

The Guardian - I'm falling for Roberto....

On the Barry topic, experienced player who will offer cover in the last place we need to reinforce. A loan is not a bad thing.

Guest rusty747

I have been monitoring the comments above carefully and wanted to think long and hard before adding my own thoughts as I can see both sides of the argument here. Ideally, we would not be looking at a player like Barry who is slow and coming to the end of his career.

On the other hand, we must live according to our means and, unless/until the 'will he wont he' scenarios with Felli and Mcarthy are resolved, I think the idea of someone like Barry joining on loan, on balance, is a good insurance policy.

Imagine if Felli left on transfer deadline day, Gibbo was still injured and Mcarthy didn't join? Then we would be well short and Barry could step in to do a job. The one thing I really like about Martinez is that he can set his team up in so many different ways and I think he could set us up so that Barry could be effective, not get embarrassed for pace and that we could still grind out a result.

So, if Barry is a short term insurance policy and we can get a decent deal from City regarding his salary then I am all for it. And you never know, he just might surprise a few of us.

Hit the nail on the head there Romey.

Forgive me if I'm missing your point as I'm foreign and don't always get exactly what is meant when people use more idiomatic expressions, but I think you're complaining about Barry not being fast enough to counter attack? I honestly don't see why you would even want him too. He's the holding midfielder. I think we'd be overcommitting people forward if we'd have the holding midfield player to sprint towards the opposition's box on counter attacks at every opportunity.

For a long time none of our forwards or wingers really had the pace to be able to run in behind defenders or the skill to beat them one on one. We now have that main outlet for counter attacks in Mirallas. If we can find him early we'll be dangerous. I'd like him to come into the middle for our offensive transitions so he can progress down the middle. Of course he will still need support but that should be from the striker, the other winger, the number 10 and preferably Fellaini.

Yep true there, but Barry can't cover the ground quick enough when the back four push on up the pitch, being in front of the back four means you have to be the link from Jags to the front man, far enough from the back four to help out on the edge of the box but deep enough to warrant protection to the defenders but he can't keep the required distance from either. Martinez will really try to go for a quicker type of play this season I'm sure of it. Mind you Makalele was slow so that put's the hammer on my arguement............ :lol:

Yep true there, but Barry can't cover the ground quick enough when the back four push on up the pitch, being in front of the back four means you have to be the link from Jags to the front man, far enough from the back four to help out on the edge of the box but deep enough to warrant protection to the defenders but he can't keep the required distance from either. Martinez will really try to go for a quicker type of play this season I'm sure of it. Mind you Makalele was slow so that put's the hammer on my arguement............ :lol:

I think we'll always have one midfielder sitting in front of the defense, especially when we only play 2 centre backs. So Barry wouldn't need to be on the edge of the box. I'm pretty sure build up play will be slower than last year as well. He wouldn't have been suitable for Moyes' type of play as that would have included a centre back passing to Felllaini in the air and the central midfielders pushing up to win the second ball or to receive lay-offs. Under Martinez there will be more passes seemingly going nowhere until one of the forwards accelerates play.

I think we'll always have one midfielder sitting in front of the defense, especially when we only play 2 centre backs. So Barry wouldn't need to be on the edge of the box. I'm pretty sure build up play will be slower than last year as well. He wouldn't have been suitable for Moyes' type of play as that would have included a centre back passing to Felllaini in the air and the central midfielders pushing up to win the second ball or to receive lay-offs. Under Martinez there will be more passes seemingly going nowhere until one of the forwards accelerates play.

Will you be happy with that though? I mean keeping the ball but slower build up play?

I think it is a smart albeit uninspiring move.

Barry will do exactly what Gibson can do and that is where we need cover. Im not a fan of Barry by any stretch of the imagination and I think he has been over-rated in the past but I can see the logic behind it.

If a younger & quicker player is available then of course that is who I would prefer but if the money and/or player isnt available then we have to do what we have to do.

He wants to leave City to play regularly. He'd be more than cover.

Gibson is going to miss large chunks of the season through injury I think, and as much as I don't like to admit it, Ossie is struggling. So who else would play the holding role with Felli? Felli might be more of a box to box midfielder if Barry is sitting in front of the back 4 to, which would help the passing and flow of the game

Gibson is going to miss large chunks of the season through injury I think, and as much as I don't like to admit it, Ossie is struggling. So who else would play the holding role with Felli? Felli might be more of a box to box midfielder if Barry is sitting in front of the back 4 to, which would help the passing and flow of the game

Yeah... after seeing Ossie today Barry would have done better for us in that position. But surely there are other younger options we can look for to fill that role?!

Yeah... after seeing Ossie today Barry would have done better for us in that position. But surely there are other younger options we can look for to fill that role?!

As its a loan though I dont think it matters how old he is. If we were looking to buy him I wouldnt be happy but as a loan I think ita a good option.

I am in 100% agreeance with whoever said he was a slow and underskilled. However he has got some england caps and got a big money move to city, theres no harm letting him sit on out bench, there must be something there.

Like Romey said a bit further up, he is looking to leave as he isn't playing at City. He isn't going to come here to sit on our bench.

I find myself torn on this one, everything in my head is telling me that he is shite and slow. However, when you think about it may not be such a bad move if Gibson does miss large parts of the season. He doesn't have to do anything overly spectacular either, just sit in the middle and keep the ball, essentially.

No, sorry I can't accept Gareth Barry as a good signing, even if it does make sense! :lol:

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Like Romey said a bit further up, he is looking to leave as he isn't playing at City. He isn't going to come here to sit on our bench.

its a moot point whether he expects to be starting or not. If he does sign for us he'll only be playing if he better than the alternatives, we currently have barcelona's next big thing on the bench.

Barry won't go anywhere to be cover, otherwise he'd just stay at City as cover...

Surely the man we need who breaks up play and is very mobile around the pitch is what we already have...Fellaini. If he's good enough for the likes of Utd or Chelsea to want him as a holding midfielder then why isn't he good enough for us?

Barry won't go anywhere to be cover, otherwise he'd just stay at City as cover...

Surely the man we need who breaks up play and is very mobile around the pitch is what we already have...Fellaini. If he's good enough for the likes of Utd or Chelsea to want him as a holding midfielder then why isn't he good enough for us?

Spot on that mate. Fellaini is the player we need.