IGNORED

Roberto Martinez interview

efc1111

There's an excellent interview in the Independent with some different topics:

How he's watched DVDs of Everton's history and was struck by a Dixie Dean interview, how Howard Kendall made an impression on him by managing Athletic Bilbao, his telephone conversations with Moyes etc etc. A lot of interesting stuff here I haven't read before: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/everton-manager-roberto-martinez-on-a-mission-to-close-the-gap-8771729.html

• 1 month later...

"We all admired the display we had in the first 45 minutes against Newcastle and probably that's the picture that we want of our 90 minute performances, and that's what we need to work towards."

"I thought the performances in the three draws were as dominant and as good as you're going to get, and probably we dropped six points when we should have got the full nine points from those three games."

I do like the fact that he talks like a neutral... he isn't trying to sandbag and make out that we have overachieved, he is more or less stating that there should be more to come when he has a full squad at his disposal. It is very brave to be fair, allowing expectations to be increased rather than softened.

I admire honesty as a human characteristic - and he displays this in abundance. He could be making a rod for his own back but I see it as him setting a challenge.

Got to say I really like him. He just seems a great bloke who knows he is learning and knows what he wants. The fact he didn't jump at any job, turned villa down and the shite if rumours are true leads me to think we have a marriage

As long as we've got a replacement lined up and we get decent money for him I won't mind. I don't want any one here who doesn't want to be.

Your comment would explain why Fellaini left and Baines didn't during the summer: We had a replacement lined up for Fellaini, but we didn't have a replacement for Baines. RM must have insisted that players be allowed to leave but only when the impact to the club is minimized.

Your comment would explain why Fellaini left and Baines didn't during the summer: We had a replacement lined up for Fellaini, but we didn't have a replacement for Baines. RM must have insisted that players be allowed to leave but only when the impact to the club is minimized.

I think it was probably more to do with the fans going apeshit if both of our best players left in one window.

Based on what I have seen from Baines this season, barring his free kick exploits and some examples of good attacking play, he's been "OK"... He has arguably saved his best performances for England.

With that in mind I expect him to go in a £15m deal with us signing a well scouted replacement. I would wish him well as I can for any departing Everton play.

You can bet that the proposed funds promised in January is only the expected transfer of Baines..... We will sell Baines for £15m, buy a replacement for half the price and the rest plus the promised funds for January excluding Baines will do a Houdini... And nothing more will be said on that matter... Then we have funds available come the summer and everyone thinks what a good lad that BK is...only to find that thus is the prolonged sum from January.

You can bet that the proposed funds promised in January is only the expected transfer of Baines..... We will sell Baines for £15m, buy a replacement for half the price and the rest plus the promised funds for January excluding Baines will do a Houdini... And nothing more will be said on that matter... Then we have funds available come the summer and everyone thinks what a good lad that BK is...only to find that thus is the prolonged sum from January.

Possible, but I'm not so sure. Remember we had money to spend on McCarthy regardless of the Fellaini deal, then Fellaini was sold for 27.5m, so I imagine we still have SOME of that money available, plus if anyone departs in January (Baines, Jelavic, Heitinga on a nominal fee)... I could very well be wrong, and the money could disappear, but I imagine we already have SOME funds available in January. Hell, I think Martinez has acknowledged that he will have SOME money available in January. I'd like to see some of the Fellaini fee go to service the debt, though.

Possible, but I'm not so sure. Remember we had money to spend on McCarthy regardless of the Fellaini deal, then Fellaini was sold for 27.5m, so I imagine we still have SOME of that money available, plus if anyone departs in January (Baines, Jelavic, Heitinga on a nominal fee)... I could very well be wrong, and the money could disappear, but I imagine we already have SOME funds available in January. Hell, I think Martinez has acknowledged that he will have SOME money available in January. I'd like to see some of the Fellaini fee go to service the debt, though.

Money doesn't disappear, or the club's books would never pass their annual audit. It might well be used elsewhere.

My man love for him increases by the interview...

"I would never be pleased with a smash and grab win. That wouldn’t give me any satisfaction.”

I think I felt that way when we beat Blackburn 1-0 when Barkley gave away one of two penalties in what proved to be a costly game for him. We won 1-0 but I didn't really celebrate the penno that arteta put away.

I took more satisfaction from the 2-2 against Norwich on the first game of the season - I seen something that showed promise in our play.

It's similar to golf, sometimes I shoot a lower score and think "I never hit the ball well, I used an iron off the tee because my driver was awful, I played sensible and didn't get real satisfaction from being creative in my shots" - sure I may beat my opponent and get a quid, but in many ways I would sooner walk off to them saying "unlucky, you played great stuff there and deserved to win - you've gotr the potential to be really good"

united have won titles winning shit games...i take satisfaction from 3 points..if we play well it's a bonus

I wouldn't say that as such, under SAF united were notorious for their relentless desire to get a winner and they would swarm over teams, if they went a goal down you could expect a response that made the other team think "oh no, we've made them angry".

Look at their game against Bayern in the cup final, 1-0 down, not really in the running but they smelt blood and Bayern conceded 2 goals in quick succession.

It was almost like Tiger Woods on the final day wearing his red shirt... the opponents often folded.

I wouldn't say that as such, under SAF united were notorious for their relentless desire to get a winner and they would swarm over teams, if they went a goal down you could expect a response that made the other team think "oh no, we've made them angry".

That was Everton in 85/86/87.....was a brilliant feeling to be totally relaxed when we conceded; just always used to think, ".....you're going to regret that."

Happy days :).

That was Everton in 85/86/87.....was a brilliant feeling to be totally relaxed when we conceded; just always used to think, ".....you're going to regret that."

Happy days :).

The biggest example of which was the game against Sunderland in 85 - they dared to score 1 minute into the game... queue a stunned a silent crowd, as the ball was placed back in the centre circle I expected a response but 2 goals before the half and 2 after it.

That was my first season watching football as an Evertonian and I actually believed that this is the way it would always be.