IGNORED

Roberto Martinez interview

efc1111

Wow, what an amazing listen.

One of the things that really stuck with me was when he talked about Barkley playing like he was afraid to make a mistake at the beginning of the year, and how he tried to get him out of that mindset.

I've always believed, in sports and in life, that fortune generally favors the bold, and that's as true in the BPL as anywhere else. Too many coaches, especially coaches of second and third-tier teams, have a "damage limitation" mentality, where they don't always make the smartest substitutions or tactical decisions because they're too concerned with preserving their jobs and reputations to take a gamble that might backfire and leave them open to criticism or second-guessing. They'd rather settle for a draw or a 1-0 loss than go chasing a win and possibly end up losing 3-0 or 4-0. I know what some of you are thinking, but I'm not singling out any particular manager when I say that simply because 90% of them are guilty of that negative/conservative strategizing, regardless of whether they're managing in the BPL or Serie B or some part-time league in Outer Mongolia. How often have we complained this year about teams like Cardiff and Palace packing ten behind the ball against us and spending more energy frustrating our attack than trying to score? I'm extremely thankful that Martinez is in the other 10%, because that 10% are the managers who are winning games and winning trophies while their peers are too busy trying not to get fired.

Circling my point back to Barkley though, players aren't any more fond of losing their jobs than managers are, and a player who gets the message from past experience that he has to play safe and avoid mistakes if he wants to stay in the starting lineup is a player who's hamstrung; he starts thinking too much instead of being able to just play his natural game. By coaching to win, Martinez gives Ross and the other players the freedom to play to win, and not be afraid of making an occasional mistake. For instance, even after their farcical two-man comedy act against Sunderland, Howard and Osman were both back on the pitch the next time they were eligible to play. And that's what we're seeing with Ross - someone who has the backing of his manager and the confidence to try different things on the pitch, and as a result of stretching himself like that, he is finding out just how good he can be at this level, which is only going to make him even more confident.

I've been very critical of Bill in the past but you have to say he got it 100% spot with Roberto.

He didn't mess around and I got the impression the whole process was smooth and well run.

In addition Roberto has made serveral comments about us being financially secure. We must be starting to come out of the years of massive debts which is great. Ok we are competing with the big boys financially but I like the fact we don't have the bank trying to forclose!

Guest Nikica

He's clearly very intelligent, well-spoken and educated on football tactics and philosophies. Much like Laudrup in that respect.

I will need to set some time aside to listen to his interview over the coming week.

i was one of the ones who gained a massive erection when it was confirmed we where getting RM as our next manager but i dont understand the whole praise for BK for finding him. they make him sound like he fished out bin laden. can you tell me which other candidates were, a) available at the time and, B) would have come to manage us. he was the standout of a pretty bad bunch at the time.

the amount of blues around me who grumbled when they heard the announcment. at least his judgement was greater than theres at least.

i was one of the ones who gained a massive erection when it was confirmed we where getting RM as our next manager but i dont understand the whole praise for BK for finding him. they make him sound like he fished out bin laden. can you tell me which other candidates were, a) available at the time and, B) would have come to manage us. he was the standout of a pretty bad bunch at the time.

the amount of blues around me who grumbled when they heard the announcment. at least his judgement was greater than theres at least.

In fairness he could have opted for some shite like Martin O'Neill, the Portuguese bloke everyone wanted based on him doing well in a 3 club league... So I will give him credit for getting RM and that's coming from someone who ain't bills biggest fan.

That just about says it all then really, alot of Blues didn't want him, Bills judgement proved right.

Wanting him was only half the job, (that was the easy half) other clubs wanted him and if he'd turned us down as well his stock would have risen, SO the hard thing was to convince Martinez he wanted us!

He probably couldn't offer the wages the rs offered, he couldn't offer the transfer purse, the ability to pay massive wages and so attract 'better' players, the current Captain of England, a redevelopment scheme for an existing stadium or even massive world wide support........so what the hell did Matrinez like about Everton.

How good a selling job did Bill do! I think Bills shown he's ready to let the manager do things their way (seems to have been the way he worked with Moyes).....so maybe it was Bill as much as Everton he wanted to work with.

If that was the case, nice one Bill :)

Most Evertonians wanted the fella from Porto and there was even the German guy who was well thought of tha came on the radar at the last minute so it wasnt like Roberto was the only choice, in fact most Evertonians didnt want him. The easy thing for BK to do would have been to appoint Vitor Pereira as he was the fans favourite and had a better CV

The hardest job for any Chairman of a football club is to appoint the right manager and in his tenure BK has had to do it twice and has nailed it both times so I think a little bit of credit is due to him

Blue 250 pretty much summed it up and if Haf is giving him credit that says it all really!

In fairness he could have opted for some shite like Martin O'Neill, the Portuguese bloke everyone wanted based on him doing well in a 3 club league... So I will give him credit for getting RM and that's coming from someone who ain't bills biggest fan.

Haf sticking up for BK :o?

fainting.gif

The hardest job for any Chairman of a football club is to appoint the right manager and in his tenure BK has had to do it twice and has nailed it both times so I think a little bit of credit is due to him

It's easy for us to think that Martinez is the perfect manager for Everton and the early signs are giving us all hope for this great club.So whilst this is a great piece of bussines by Bill, I think the above statement needs a close look!

Whilst people are turning on Moyes and putting the boot in for what he did and didn't do, it's worth remembering that like it or not the appointment of Moyes at that particular time in Evertons history was a masterstroke, no fans wanted Moyes, but he turnned this club around, gave us our pride back and got the football world talking about us.Maybe it did go stale, but it did sit nicely for Martinez as fate followed it's course.

So yes well done TWICE Bill...........you soppy, emotional, Evertonian.

I hope Martinez is here for years to come and he creates a dynasty that makes the football world sit up, and come the sad day you have to go.....I hope Bills still here to choose the next one, he seems to have an eye.

I love his multi syllable positivity, makes a change from Moyes and his "butter" - anyone seriously picked up on this

"we lost again today but errr we will try and win against accrington Stanley, who are a good side so we will try and get a result, but errr yes I am disappointed that the referee didn't give us the decisions I would never have moaned about as an Everton manager"

• 2 weeks later...

Good find Dunc, as a naturally lazy and difficult to motivate person I would find it difficult not to be inspired by this man.

He may not be a mourinho, shankley, clough, in terms of being a character that draws attention and has pure charisma. He is a cleaner version - someone who is more humble but very wise and is always searching for the right way... He doesn't believe he is always right but he strives to improve to be that person.

I often balanced my criticism of Moyes with "if he could evolve he could be great because he has the right work ethic and attention to detail" - this man has that and the natural likable personality with a superb flair for the game. He will improve, he will take us to top 4 and he will manage Barcelona.

• 4 weeks later...