IGNORED

Grammar Nazi thread

Matt

So say the bottom line of this issue, we are allowed to pick up on any individuals grammatical errors and other spelling deficiencies for example, or maybe turn a blind eye ?

Alright, I'm sometimes pedantic with others mistakes and can't always abide when some make fundamental spelling errors or don't put in an apostrophe in the right place, and using the excuse "I'm on my android, or tablet, or some other fancy device (whereas errors may occur) - doesn't make it so.

There was some recent problems with highlighting someone not using paragraphs correctly, or other spelling or poorly constructed post, and didn't think that quite fair. Sometimes you'd think it would be better to just not say anything, but some things should be highlighted or brought to attention. I think what it is, some take pride in their work on these pages and are proud to be able to put together a good piece or article, while others don't always take the time or effort. Granted we're not all as educated as the next, but just like to put a bit of effort into work sometimes. It's a great gift to have.

So say the bottom line of this issue, we are allowed to pick up on any individuals grammatical errors and other spelling deficiencies for example, or maybe turn a blind eye ?

Alright, I'm sometimes pedantic with others mistakes and can't always abide when some make fundamental spelling errors or don't put in an apostrophe in the right place, and using the excuse "I'm on my android, or tablet, or some other fancy device (whereas errors may occur) - doesn't make it so.

There was some recent problems with highlighting someone not using paragraphs correctly, or other spelling or poorly constructed post, and didn't think that quite fair. Sometimes you'd think it would be better to just not say anything, but some things should be highlighted or brought to attention. I think what it is, some take pride in their work on these pages and are proud to be able to put together a good piece or article, while others don't always take the time or effort. Granted we're not all as educated as the next, but just like to put a bit of effort into work sometimes. It's a great gift to have.

I've spotted a few grammatical errors in this post. :67:

My pet peeves:

- Writing "would o-f" instead of "would've" [PS - the auto grammar correct wouldn't let me write o-f without the hyphen - I'm impressed!)

- Spelling separate 'seperate'

- Confusing 'which' with 'that'

- Confusing 'between' and 'among'

- Adding 5 and 6 to get 13 :)

Edited by Cornish Steve

But, "I was in a hurry" is acceptable eh :lol:?

Just use common sense Dalziel....don't correct new members on their introductory posts for example. Don't correct people who obviously struggle with their grammar. Correct me whenever you like; and if you correct people be prepared to take it back.

Incidentally, "There was some recent problems with highlighting someone not using paragraphs correctly....." is awful.

Either...

"There was some recent problem with highlighting someone not using paragraphs correctly....."

or

"There were some recent problems with highlighting someone not using paragraphs correctly....."

....are better but still not great.

I'd have gone for....

"There were some problems recently with...."

There are other issues with your post but we'll let it pass this time.

I'll give you a C-.

I think maybe the most commonplace errors would appear to be You're and Your. I.E. You're in for a surprise, and Keep your head down etc.

Can often be surprising how some can make such basic errors. All goddamn text talk now above all else or lazy efforts and a one time standard of communication has fallen badly. "Yeh, C U next thursday and dont be L8" etc.

I think some individuals could be beyond salvation now.

It's "arks" here and it's not uncommon.

That would annoy the hell out of me. I can take mispronunciations, but for some reason, this one really bugs me.

You could substitute "axe" or "acts" and get away with it where I'm located. I used to work at a bank, and I would keep count of how many people would come in "axing" me questions about loans or other topics. I nearly went mad!

Yes got to say that does irritate sometimes. I think the whole ball issue of this, is some people are unable to communicate properly - some are unwilling. Even if they have the capacity to do it.

Text speak does get you angry sometimes, and abbreviated words. There's this section in (the awful piece of shit news publication) The Daily Star, where they have a section for people to text in their views on recent soccer issues and some of it is painful reading. I.E. "C U TomPreston If u fink LFC r gona win league this year U need 2 give UR ed a shake" for example. 90 per cent of the time I did read it all once or twice admittedly, I couldn't understand what was being said. No wonder people can't spell properly or make fundamental errors, it's all (it would often appear) fucking text speak today, with great regret.

Say it again, being able to communicate properly, spell with high standard, even be comprehensive and articulate - it's a great gift to have.

Yes got to say that does irritate sometimes. I think the whole ball issue of this, is some people are unable to communicate properly - some are unwilling. Even if they have the capacity to do it.

Big gap between sentences ("sometimes. I think")? Poor.

Unnecessary comma after "ball issue of this" and should be a comma (not a full stop) between "unwilling" and "even".

D

Is that a black bear on a couch ?

Only to say once again, Yes you're right - it defies belief sometimes those who can't make a distinction between Your and You're. And then you have Yours (as in, that drink is yours) - not to be confused with You'res.

And even then, the latter doesn't seem to exist. Maybe we can excuse certain indiviuduals on these issues sometimes. (mental exhaustion)

I'm not paRticulely arsed about spelleeng nor am i arsed about grammar, punctuation etc

What bothers me is that some people think its ok to correct others on such things when they have written a good post that you can understand perfectlly clearly.

Some of the best posts I have read have had mistakes etc - but they are from someone "who has watched the game and has something valid to say"

They haven't just decided to google a piece of commentary... something along the lines of...

"I see we have just played Accrington Stanley, we won 4-1 and I believe we played quite well. I didn't watch the game, in fact I haven't watched a game all year, but if my memory serves me correct Everton first played Stanley in September 1888. Accrington being one of the founding fathers of the football league"

I would sooner see something along the lines of:

"Just whatched the game, great perfromance by the lads, thought Barkley was immense and like deuflolue - Can't undersatnd why Kone didnt play as Jelavic looked awful. Thought we lloked far betta with an attaking 3 with gibson pulling the string from mid"