IGNORED

Grammar Nazi thread

Matt

Bloody hell! This was supposed to be a bit of fun boys!

That said, he "done" it drives me nuts, or the boy done good. No, you illiterate cretin, he did well!!!!! :crying:

Cornish - my inlaws are from the Midwest, I've never understood the V-hickle pronunciation either! My wife is gradually learning to speak correctly, though I've had to concede a few words where the Yanks pronounce them correctly and the Brits don't

Edited by Matt

The first word I really noticed that you Brits pronounced differently was "mandatory." I heard it on FIFA and could not figure out what Martin Tyler was saying for the longest time!

man-da-torry (USA) vs. man-day-turery (UK)

That must've just been Tyler being an idiot....first one is much closer (though I'd take one of the "r"s out; it's pronounced exactly as it's spelt).

<br />Why do Americans call aluminium illuminum (not actually seen how American's spell it)?

<br />I definitely put a strong "ah" sound when I say it, however, I know exactly what you mean. I feel I properly pronounce "nuclear" also, but my mom was a teacher, so that may be why I don't have a southern accent either.<br /><br />Ps: what's with the different spellings? <br />Color vs. Colour? Does anybody know what that stems from? Edited by TonkaRoost

The differences between American English and British English, of course, are renowned. As Mark Twain observed, we're two countries separated by a common language. A Brit visiting Florida, for example, walked into a drugstore (which is more like a department store in the US) and asked for a rubber. "How many do you want, sir?" "Just one - I don't plan on making that many mistakes."

Which reminds me of Cornwall's famous son, Jethro. His friend Denzil, similarly, walked into a chemist and asked for a condom. "What size, sir?" Smirking at the young assistant, Denzil replied "Jumbo, of course." He left with a packet of 2,000 of them.

If people want to berate, or raise issue with the United States, guessing there's a place for it elsewhere on this miscellaneous index. This thread piece would appear unsuitable.

Only to add this night, that those who give one word answers to threads, or even worse, decide to just add an animation icon thing as a response, such as - :shaking fist: , :crying: , :dont know: , :rofl: , :wub: etc etc. These would not be tolerated on some pages, but above all else, it's a kind of insult to those that put in a lot of effort to their work and put forth a good comprehensive response.

I know the names responsible - they are aware of who they are - but sorry to say, if you're going to respond to anything, at least write a little or a few paragraphs wouldn't kill anyone.

If people want to berate, or raise issue with the United States, guessing there's a place for it elsewhere on this miscellaneous index. This thread piece would appear unsuitable.

Only to add this night, that those who give one word answers to threads, or even worse, decide to just add an animation icon thing as a response, such as - :shaking fist: , :crying: , :dont know: , :rofl: , :wub: etc etc. These would not be tolerated on some pages, but above all else, it's a kind of insult to those that put in a lot of effort to their work and put forth a good comprehensive response.

I know the names responsible - they are aware of who they are - but sorry to say, if you're going to respond to anything, at least write a little or a few paragraphs wouldn't kill anyone.

Lol. SMH.

You complain that certain things in this thread aren't suitable for this thread, and then proceed to bring up something else that shouldn't be in this thread... :rofl: .

You complain that certain things in this thread aren't suitable for this thread, and then proceed to bring up something else that shouldn't be in this thread... :rofl: .

Or post in the match day threads.... without even watching a game? Now that I find it forms part of my "skip this post" mentality.

I recognize biscuits as biscuits and only cookies are cookies so don't usually go along with that, but in general you're just highlighting what most will be aware of regardless of nationality, but spent enough time in the UK to not follow with zip codes and railroads. Do not call going to see a film release as 'going to the movies'. It's either take in a theater release or simply go see a new film or movie release. But once again, it's not what this initial piece was even about. Merely to pick up on one or two individuals spelling and other word deficiencies and not a country divide issue as some seem to have undertaken.

BBC website....

"A little thing like facing tennis' head girl Serena Williams is not going to phase the world number two."

BBC journo not knowing the difference between "phase" and "faze" :doh:.

I completed a BBC job application form in about 1980 and it was about the most complicated and in depth thing I've ever had to fill in in my life. Now I think you just need to be able to spell your name right and you're in.

BBC website....

"A little thing like facing tennis' head girl Serena Williams is not going to phase the world number two."

BBC journo not knowing the difference between "phase" and "faze" :doh:.

I completed a BBC job application form in about 1980 and it was about the most complicated and in depth thing I've ever had to fill in in my life. Now I think you just need to be able to spell your name right and you're in.

A BBC application form in depth? Maybe they needed to spend more time focussing on what their current employees were up to.

I'd maybe like to give some thoughts about the British Broadcasting Corporation and everything it entails, and more to the point - the individuals they employ - but it would only result in a ban or action taken.

Next time you watch a BBC program or item, pay attention to the individuals presenting. They're only slightly up on ITV for all round sub-standard viewing and awful presentation.