IGNORED

Our commercial dept and new kits

Mike Preece

If the Chang deal is supposed to be tapping into the Asian market they have it all so wrong, I've been in Asia (Singapore) for 5 months now and spent a lot of time in Thailand which is where our hotel is located. Chang is massive here it's on tap and bottled in every bar in Thailand, bottles in every bar in Singapore and readily available in supermarkets. I've also recently become aware that Chang are big real estate owners in Singapore including a string of hotels.

Can I find anywhere to watch an Everton game? NO!

Can I find anywhere to buy any Everton Merchandise? NO!

Have I ever seen anything with Chang and Everton on here (billboards / advertising)? NO!

It's disappointing because the premier league is massive in Singapore and Malaysia, not so much in Thailand but on the whole Asia loves it's EPL. I really think if we are going to renew the Chang deal then a far better marketing side needs to be put in place. This is an untapped market everybody supports ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and a small following of City due to their recent success. The Kitbag deal really holds us back too, the shops here could be flooded with the royal blue of Everton holding a sponsor that everybody knows but there really is nothing!

Another thing which I thought the other day while watching the piss poor Asian games, was we could send the youth squad over here to take on the full Asian national sides on a pre season tour and the boys would run all over them. They have no games to play because they never qualify for anything apart from tin pot tournaments they arrange between themselves so they would love it and it would really raise our profile while the main team were doing their usual trawling of america. Which by the way I think is a waste of time now as the American league is growing and has some great players so why would they be that interested in the prem?

maybe you should drop Alan Myers a note ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We're extending with Chang.

Rumours are that WE rejected Epson.

IMO, it'd make more sense to go with a new company that could go on kids kits. Kids are fickle so I can well imagine that there are a lot of kids who don't get our kits because they don't look like the real thing without a sponsor.

We're extending with Chang.

Rumours are that WE rejected Epson.

IMO, it'd make more sense to go with a new company that could go on kids kits. Kids are fickle so I can well imagine that there are a lot of kids who don't get our kits because they don't look like the real thing without a sponsor.

Bet it's our BIGGEST EVER sponsorship deal that will be hugely financially beneficial to our club.

It'll be £10m (£2m more than the last one) and it'll run for 20 years.

But don't dare question Elstone's ability to wangle the best deals, because it is THE best deal of the history of the club and it will secure financial benefits for a long duration. It's also irrelevant what everyone else is being given because there deals might be worth 4 times as much, but their 'deals' are shite and won't benefit their clubs as much as ours.

Best be happy fuckers.

*Noted this is pre-official announcement :D

But don't dare question Elstone's ability to wangle the best deals, because it is THE best deal of the history of the club

Sick to death of this soundbite getting rammed down our throats when we announce our renewals with Chang. It matters how it compares to our rivals and in the past it's never compared favourably. Hoping for better this time around but I bet it's only a slight improvement.

Sick to death of this soundbite getting rammed down our throats when we announce our renewals with Chang. It matters how it compares to our rivals and in the past it's never compared favourably. Hoping for better this time around but I bet it's only a slight improvement.

Completely agree, it might be the biggest in club history, but it's not an ounce on the deals that other clubs are pulling out.

If we are to set a marker, our HAS to exceed aston villa's current deal of £8m a year.

Completely agree, it might be the biggest in club history, but it's not an ounce on the deals that other clubs are pulling out.

If we are to set a marker, our HAS to exceed aston villa's current deal of £8m a year.

or Sunderlands 20m?

Lets see what comes of this...

the reason they keep going with some small Asian company is because over in the East under the table bribes are commonplace. Epson was probably 20m with no bribe, Chang is 10m with a 1m bribe for each exec. I don't' see any other plausible reason they would choose a beer company (like said above which eliminates half the buying public) over a world renowned printer company.

Could be worth in excess of £5.3m a season... Whoopeee. Just waiting for Sun bed Ted to tell us that's the best deal we've ever had. I'm really surprised it's bigger than the NEC deal when you could buy a pint of ale for 80p and football was a highlights game.

Hmmm let's see, the best spin would be percentage increase on last one 20%.... Or no let's use words like absolutely, partnership, global, marketing.

We are likely to be in Europe, are getting more sky games and yet we are still on a par with Sunderland and Fulham.

Liverpool just signed a £32m two year deal for training kit sponsorship with garuda airlines....

So keep telling us how great the deal is Bob. Next thing you will tell us you have improved your 100m time by 2 seconds 17 down to 15, far exceeding any rate of improvement ever made by usain bolt.

Pissed off with the comedians running our commercial side, amateurs, complete and utter buffoons. all swanning round as "officials". Officially shite.

And....its done.

And.....it doesnt exceed others.

http://m.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/03/20/blues-strike-record-chang-deal

£16m over 3 years. So a little over £5m a season...

But...it is "the most lucrative deal in the clubs history!!".

I try to blank this stuff out as im not sure if it makes me cringe or just winds me up. :dry:

Click through to see the full table and gander (Based on last year's sponsorship)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_sponsorship

Just puts the deal into context.

Teams that currently earn more a season than we will.

Man United Man City Arsenal Liverpool Sunderland Chelsea Newcastle Tottenham Aston Villa

Most I understand but not Villa or Sunderland.

Edited by tenaciousj

As expected, a slight improvement made out to be something amazing.

Elstone does love the safe, quick fix doesn't he? No forward thinking whatsoever. Once the Kitbag deal expires he'll probably renew it for another 10 years.

It's almost like the club doesn't want to make money.

Just soo lazy and to be honest is pure incompetency. Other clubs are run by expert marketeers, negotiators, forward thinking innovators and we have a reactionary, limited fool who by all accounts manages with an iron fist.

He by all accounts is the reason Alan Myers left the club.

Interesting when looking at his wiki account:-

As Deputy CEO it was his responsibility to assist in "developing an efficient organisational structure, securing and empowering a strong management team, ensuring appropriate levels of financial reporting and accountability, delivering commercial growth, principally via filling the stadium at higher yields and securing new sponsors".[6] He is responsible for the negotiation of the club's long-standing sponsorship deal with Chang.

He's a joke.

I agree Elstone is not the right guy to be conducting such deals. He's yet to get a good one.

However, I look at Everton as a brand we aren't global enough. Therefore massive sponsorship deals are going to be hard to broker. If we had consistent Champions league football, more television appearances and big named players we'd be able to compete at the top end of financial deals. Until we move forward in this manner we are unlikely to get the massive deals other teams get and this all comes down to finances of the board.

Everton need to become a bigger brand as a whole on the pitch and off it.

Edited by MiguelCotto

I agree Elstone is not the right guy to be conducting such deals. He's yet to get a good one.

However, I look at Everton as a brand we aren't global enough. Therefore massive sponsorship deals are going to be hard to broker. If we had consistent Champions league football, more television appearances and big named players we'd be able to compete at the top end of financial deals. Until we move forward in this manner we are unlikely to get the massive deals other teams get and this all comes down to finances of the board.

Everton need to become a bigger brand as a whole on the pitch and off it.

Put into context we earn half of what Newcastle do in a year in Kit sponsorship... a quarter of Sunderland... hardly global super powers

I don't know much about Sunderlands deal but Newcastle are certainly a decent brand. They also have an owner with fingers in a lot of pies. Its not what you know it's who.

In what sense? They get less TV exposure than we do, they don't have a history of winning things, we have had a massive impact in thr U.S and Australia with the likes of Donovan, Howard, Cahill.

Epson would at least have a more marketable region in Japan, for Everton to look at. Japan are a real up and coming football power, it's weird but true.

Chang (as much as I love it) is Thai...not overly known for their footballing stature. Unless Everton just wish to monopolise the market.

Sunderland's was another of those 'up to' deals. I don't think they're actually being paid £20m.

I'm like most of you now, I try and read between the lines more often than not.. biggest in the club's history while on some level is an achievement, it's not as much as some (less than half) of our rivals receive for training kit sponsorship.

Sunderland's was another of those 'up to' deals. I don't think they're actually being paid £20m.

I'm like most of you now, I try and read between the lines more often than not.. biggest in the club's history while on some level is an achievement, it's not as much as some (less than half) of our rivals receive for training kit sponsorship.

But so is this deal Louis -

Everton has today confirmed an extension to its shirt sponsorship with Chang in a deal that could be worth in excess of £16 million – the most lucrative in the Club’s 136-year history.

Which implies performance related pay.

Is anyone actually surprised? Elstone has been a constant disappointment, and his superior seems in no rush to rectify the problem.

Very poor deal in my opinion. We missed the football boat about five years ago in terms of foreign exposure. We were too busy trying to get into Kirkby rather than the Far East.

when I was in Thailand there was minimal Everton exposure in Bangkok and none at all on Koh Panghan and Koh Samui. Surprisingly Chang also seemed to have a deal with Barca, I saw more of them than I did Everton.