IGNORED

Spurs

Finn balor

Big weekend with the arse playing the shite and us playing spurs. If things go well we could be sitting pretty come six o'clock on Sunday. Hopefully a good atmosphere and I'm sure an open game. I don't think spurs are amazing this year. More workman like this season and grinding results out. I really fancy us on Sunday. I'd keep the same starting team with Ossie to come on for Ross if need be but I think he may have something to prove on live tv and will put a peformance in. I'm thinking 2-0 lukaku and baines pen

I'm actually dreading this game. Spurs have a great little side (As do we) but i'm with dunkanmckenzieismagic on this one. Their attack will take advantage of our weak defense. We will let in a goal or two so its just a question of if we are able to score more than them or not.

Big big game and I cant even begin to try to predict the outcome.

I think I usually have our fixtures against Spurs down as three points for whoever the home side is, with maybe the odd draw here or there. I was thinking they'd be very strong this season and probably restrict us to a draw or even a loss, but they really haven't impressed me too much this year with their open play. I think their first three games (obviously I could be wrong) they didn't score a single goal from open play, only penalties and set pieces. To add to that I just watched some extended highlights from their game against Hull, and again, they only beat them 1-0 from a penalty (a poorly given one at that) at White Hart Lane.

Maybe it's a good time to run into Spurs? As I said earlier at Goodison Park I'd usually back us for 3 points against them, and after their average display against Hull I'm going to have to go with that result I think.

From what I've read, Hull gave Spurs as many problems as they gave us so with that and present form I'd expect a tight game, with I think, they having more to fear than us.

I see Lukaku as a showman and if the games on TV then expect him to rip into Spurs from the off.Pienaar will be a bit fitter than the Villa game and I hope he haunts Spurs like he did last season.Howard will go into the game thinking he can stop anything and with Spurs not being on the goal trail this season we might just shut them out.

If Spurs leave Goodison with a point I'll be very dissapointed.

Spurs have the potential to be amazing when their talented new signings gel, but they're not there yet. They're eeking out wins and I still think their defence and full-backs (the latter being the weakest part of their team) can be got at. On the other hand, their midfield is very strong and superior to yours, imo.

I'm gonna go for 1-1, but if either team is likely to win it I think it will be you, given home advantage and the Lukaku factor.

Edited by Nikica

Spurs have the potential to be amazing when their talented new signings gel, but they're not there yet. They're eeking out wins and I still think their defence and full-backs (the latter being the weakest part of their team) can be got at. On the other hand, their midfield is very strong and superior to yours, imo.

I'm gonna go for 1-1, but if either team is likely to win it I think it will be you, given home advantage and the Lukaku factor.

plus, we've only lost 2 times in 2013. Fully ware that I've just jinxed us...

I still think they're dark horses for the title, once they've really gelled. Yes, they're grinding out wins but that's the sign of a championship winning team, see Utd last season

Edited by Matt

plus, we've only lost 2 times in 2013. Fully ware that I've just jinxed us...

I still think they're dark horses for the title, once they've really gelled. Yes, they're grinding out wins but that's the sign of a championship winning team, see Utd last season

I think the title is perhaps a step too far, but it's certainly not out of the question. I made the point that once their signings gel they'll be better than they were least season, because last season they were dependent on a single player. Everything went through Bale, but he's not a playmaker type, and that's why they struggled and needed late screamers from him to win games. This season however, their team will surely become more balanced given the signings they have made. Their team is overall stronger with the likes of Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Townsend and Soldado, and as a result they're more well equipped to control games in the first place and not require late goals to bail them out of trouble (no pun intended).

Some people see the above as a controversial point because it essentially claims that Bale was more of a problem than a solution, but it basically boils down to it being better to have a balanced team than one 'star' who you rely on to come up with something late in a game. Of course the ideal scenario would have been for Bale to stay and the new players to be added to him, but I think Levy played a cracker in getting RM to vastly overpay for him and therefore having more cash to strengthen the squad. It's a team game, not individual.

Going back to Everton, though, the fact you lose so few games (as you say) is a factor in my thinking as well. I think it's hard to call because it could be any of the three results, so that's why i'm sitting on the fence with a draw, leaning towards you if one team does win it.

Spurs are actually struggling to break teams down at home right now (partly because they haven't gelled yet as we say, but the fans are also getting on their back), so they might actually prefer to come to Goodison and have a team take the game to them. What I would say is that Martinez shouldn't be too gung ho at the weekend, as Spurs can carve teams open on the break away from home - it's working through compressed space that's their problem right now.

So an attacking yet disciplined performance from you lot may well see you take the points.

Spot on Nikica, good post.

Thanks, I made the same point about Bale elsewhere and was asked if I was on drugs...I don't have a problem with people disagreeing but comments like that are unwarranted. It simply goes to show that some aren't open-minded enough to consider that line of thinking. They see Bale score a screamer with 5 minutes left on the clock and don't question why said screamer was required in the first place.

As for the game, I don't mind either club really, both good clubs, and rate a lot of players on both sides, so I'm not bothered what the score is. I guess I slightly lean towards you guys since I post on here and you deserve some success but I know a few sound Spurs fans as well. It should be a cracking game, in theory.

Edited by Nikica

I'm not convinced that Spurs will retain a European spot by Christmas, let alone the end of the season. So far, they've played mostly teams in the bottom half of the table - including Palace, Norwich, West Ham, Villa, and Cardiff. Most of their wins have been by just a single goal. Now you could argue that we have largely the same record, but we beat one of the top teams we played (Chelsea) and Spurs did not. Of course, we beat the Hammers away, and Spurs lost big time at home. To me, Spurs look like a work in progress, so I suspect a close game settled by a single goal.

I'm not convinced that Spurs will retain a European spot by Christmas, let alone the end of the season. So far, they've played mostly teams in the bottom half of the table - including Palace, Norwich, West Ham, Villa, and Cardiff. Most of their wins have been by just a single goal. Now you could argue that we have largely the same record, but we beat one of the top teams we played (Chelsea) and Spurs did not. Of course, we beat the Hammers away, and Spurs lost big time at home. To me, Spurs look like a work in progress, so I suspect a close game settled by a single goal.

Very fair post Steve, but the part in bold is what we are working on - for many of us they've looked average so far because most of their attacking players have rarely played with each other and are yet to gel. This is probably why they're fine defensively (as well as teams parking the bus, which partly accounts for their good defensive record as well as their low number of goals scored), as Chirches (spelling?) is really the only new member in their back five and he's hardly played so far. The defence has had time to develop an understanding but the front 6 haven't meshed yet. Eriksen and Lamela especially are still being bedded into the team. It takes some players time to settle in a new league e.g. Sanchez, Mata, Suarez. Others settle straight away. However, when you have many individuals still adapting rather than just one or two, the 'gelling' factor becomes far more prevalent.

Those of us who expect them to step it up are saying so based on the assumption that their players will gel and be firing on all cylinders in a few months. In football this is far from guaranteed, so it may not happen, but even if it doesn't it would take something pretty major for their link-up play to not at least improve. They also have the problem that their full-backs are average (and that's being generous to Walker, I actually think he's shite as far as PL level full-backs go) and seeing as they should be a big part of how they play and how Soldado is served (he has many attributes but he's especially good at making space for square balls put into the box), it's affecting them.

So, we will have to wait and see. It's too early to judge them one way or the other, but as someone who's been a fan of Eriksen, Lamela and Soldado for a few years now, I find it hard to believe that they won't find their feet eventually.

I've given you a thumbs up anyway as I agree with your general point i.e. that they haven't looked great so far. It's predictions for their future where we differ :)

Oh, and thanks for the compliment Trev.

Edited by Nikica

I'm actually dreading this game. Spurs have a great little side (As do we) but i'm with dunkanmckenzieismagic on this one. Their attack will take advantage of our weak defense. We will let in a goal or two so its just a question of if we are able to score more than them or not.

Big big game and I cant even begin to try to predict the outcome.

But you did! ;)

Everton 1-2 Spurs

Lukaku

A5936_zps5ff1494b.jpg

Everton host Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park on Sunday 3rd November 2013 (KO 13:30) in the 10th round of Premier League matches for the 2013-14 season.

Everton come into the match in 6th place in the League on 18 points, while Spurs are in 4th place on 19 points

This will be the 172nd time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in April 1897 in an end of season friendly match at Tottenham Marshes which Spurs won 2-1. Everton were founder-members of the Football League and had just finished 7th in the First Division while Spurs were in the Southern League and had finished 4th.

A further friendly was played at Goodison Park on New Year's Day 1902 which Everton won 3-1.

The clubs' first competitive match came in the old First Round (today's Third Round) of the FA Cup in February 1904 at Goodison Park which Spurs won 2-1 with a Vivian Woodward goal and an own goal from Everton's Balmer.

Both clubs embarked on a central European tour in the summer of 1905 an met twice with Everton winning both matches 2-0 in Vienna and 1-0 in Prague.

A second FA Cup meeting came in January 1908 with Spurs losing 1-0 at Everton.

At the end of that season, both Spurs and Everton set sail for a tour of South America and played two exhibition matches in Palermo, Argentina with the first game drawn 0-0 and Everton winning the second 4-0. On the voyage home, Spurs 'borrowed' the ship captain's parrot who lived happilly for a decade at the Tottenham offices in the High Road until it dropped dead the day news came through that Arsenal had stolen Spurs' First Division place in 1919.

The first Football League meetings came in the First Division in the 1909-10 season with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison and Spurs winning 3-0 at the Lane.

The clubs then met regularly in the First Division up to season 1927-28 with eight wins for Spurs, ten wins for Everton and eight matches drawn.

The only League meetings between the two clubs outside the Top Flight of English Football came in season 1930-31 in the Second Division with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison Park and Spurs winning 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The clubs met for two more seasons in Division One before the outbreak of World War Two with a win apiece and two games drawn.

Spurs won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 3-0 at home in 1934 and a 5th round tie at home in 1937 4-3 after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

The first meeting after WW2 came in the FA Cup 5th Round at Goodison Park in February 1950 with Everton winning 1-0.

Spurs regained their First Division status in 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Everton on their way to the first Football League Championship won by Tottenham Hotspur with a 2-1 away win and a 3-0 home win. Everton lost their First Division place that same season along with Sheffield Wednesday, while Chelsea escaped the drop on goal average.

Everton were back in the First Division for the 1954-55 season and the clubs have met in the Top Flight for every subsequent season to date, except for 1977-78 when Spurs dropped down to the Second Division for one season.

Bill Nicholson's first game as Tottenham's manager came at White Hart Lane in October 1958 and Spurs were 6-1 up at half-time and went on to beat Everton 10-4.

A League game at White Hart Lane in December 1969 was abandoned due to floodlight failure after 29 minutes.

The two clubs met in February and March of 1986 in a competition called the Screen Sport Super Cup, which was introduced to give teams who would have qualified for the European competitions some compensation, as English clubs were banned from Europe. The first match at White Hart Lane ended goalless while Everton won the return leg 3-1.

The only Football League Cup meeting between the clubs came in the Fourth Round in October 2009 with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane with goals from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Everton were founder-members of the Premier League and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present for the entire 22 seasons of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Spurs have taken more points off Everton in the Premier League than from any other opponent. The 72 points won by Spurs against Everton in the 42 matches played to date gives an average of 1.71 points won per game.

The 2010-11 meetings in the Premier League only yielded one point for Spurs, which came in a 1-1 draw at the Lane in October 2010. The reverse fixture in January 2011 was won 1-2 by Everton. The Toffees' goals were scored by Leighton Baines at Spurs and Louis Saha & Seamus Coleman at Goodison Park. Rafael van der Vaart scored both Spurs' goals that season.

Spurs' home game last season was re-arranged from the opening day to January 2012 due to rioting in the Tottenham area. Spurs won the match 2-0 with goals from Aaron Lennon and a belter from Benoit Assou-Ekotto. During the January transfer window, Spurs signed Everton's French striker Louis Saha while Steven Pienaar moved in the opposite direction on loan until the end of the season. The match at Goodison Park in March 2012 was won 1-0 by Everton when Nikica Jelavic scored his first goal for the club in the 22nd minute.

During the Summer of 2012, Everton re-signed Steven Pienaar from Spurs on a permanent basis.

Everton won the fixture at Goodison Park in December 2012 with two very late goals in injury time from Steven Pienaar and Nikica Jelavic after Clint Dempsey had put Tottenham ahead after 76 minutes. The return game at White Hart Lane in April 2013 finished in a 2-2 draw. Emmanuel Adebayor put Spurs ahead in the first minute but Phil Jagielka leveled thigs after 15 minutes. Everton took the lead with a Kevin Mirallas goal after 53 minutes and Gylfi Sigurdsson scored for Spurs with three minutes remaining.

Overall, Spurs have won 61 of the 171 matches played so far with Everton winning 59 and 51 matches drawn.

Jamie Attwell
Espen Baardsen
John Barlow
Nick Barmby
John Brearley
Frank Brettell (Everton player, Spurs manager)
Charlie Brown
Bob Cain
John Cameron (also Spurs manager)
Simon Davies
Anthony Gardner
Paul Gascoigne
David Ginola
Richard Gough
Charlie O'Hagan
Ted Hughes
Pat Jennings
Steve Kelly
John Kirwan
Gary Lineker
Bobby Mimms
Charlie Morgan
Steven Pienaar
Robert Pilch
Louis Saha
Vinny Samways
Pat Van den Hauwe
John Watson
Alex 'Sandy' Young

Several of Tottenham's first chopice players were rested tonight - Lloris, Dawson, Lennon, Capoue, Townsend, Soldado & Sandro to name just a few.

I think that Spurs won't feel the effects of tonight's League Cup game too harshly.

Hi mate,

Out of interest, do you think Villas-Boas is doing the right thing by not playing Eriksen and Lamela regularly yet? I've been a fan of them for a while and they're potentially your two best attacking players, and Lamela especially has not been fully fit and is taking time to find his feet. You'll have seen that some of believe you're capable of hammering teams when your new players start gelling, but I was wondering if you have faith that it will all come together?

Lamela and Eriksen starting tonight implies that they won't be in the starting team at Goodison, and against a good, in-form Everton team I think Eriksen especially should probably start.

I'm a non-Everton poster by the way, so neutral when it comes to this game and the two clubs.

Hi mate,

Out of interest, do you think Villas-Boas is doing the right thing by not playing Eriksen and Lamela regularly yet? I've been a fan of them for a while and they're potentially your two best attacking players, and Lamela especially has not been fully fit and is taking time to find his feet. You'll have seen that some of believe you're capable of hammering teams when your new players start gelling, but I was wondering if you have faith that it will all come together?

Lamela and Eriksen starting tonight implies that they won't be in the starting team at Goodison, and against a good, in-form Everton team I think Eriksen especially should probably start.

I'm a non-Everton poster by the way, so neutral when it comes to this game and the two clubs.

It takes time to get accustomed to the speed of the Premier League and AVB is cautiously bedding-in our summer signings, especially Erik Lamela.

I have no doubt he will adjust in time, but he's still some way off being a regular first team starter at the moment.

Eriksen seems like he's much closer to being a first team regular, but both Lewis Holtby and Gylfi Sigurdsson are offering fierce competition for the creative attacking midfielder role.

Edited by THFC6061

Sigurdsson seems to be doing well this season from what I've seen of Spurs games. I think he had two games in a row where I was just mind blown by his ability when he put the ball in the net.

Just curious mate, what's the feeling amongst Spurs fans for this game? Thinking a win, draw or loss? Usually I'd go and have a look but I honestly can't be arsed at the moment. I see the bookies have us slight favourites to win, and I think you guys have been unlucky the last two times you've been to Goodison, getting sunk by Jelavic goals both times. I have to say, last years fixture was one of my favourite memories of my two years following Everton, when Pienaar and Jelavic scored two inside 90 seconds of injury time to win it for us. Cruel way for you guys to lose though, and I remember going on a Spurs forum after that match and seeing that majority of the supporters didn't seem surprised because of Spurs tendency to switch off at the end of games.

Just a cheeky reminder for anyone that may have forgotten :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0xBeSaSWI