IGNORED

Howard Kendall

• 1 year later...

Great photo to have that Mogsy.

Been driving up and down the M5 all morning and when this news broke on 5live it was like a punch in the stomach; really sad.

(It'll be one of those "always remember where I was" moments for me.....was happily on my way to pick up a Thomas the Tank Engine bed for my grandson so in happy mood)

And ManU at home next game same as after Alan Ball died, hopefully we get a better result for Howard than we did that day. Going to be emotional, wish I was there.

I loved the fact that the PA said that the minutes applause would start and end on the ref's whistle when the crowd were already well into it.

It was like, "...we'll decide when we want to applaud! Not the officials."

Quality this..

Remembering Howard Kendall
195e18cd-ad37-41f5-a0c5-1a48c5299fea.jpg

Gary Lineker

MOTD presenter & ex-Everton striker

Posted at19:20

"Howard signed me form Leicester, and we had to go to an arbitration hearing to determine the price of the transfer. I remember him giving evidence saying they were taking a bit of a punt on me, that I wasn’t going to play, while Leicester were saying the opposite.

"In the end I think the fee decided was a bit higher than Everton had said they wanted to pay, and I remember sitting there thinking I’m signing for this fella? This is the end of the world!

"Of course as soon as we got out he put his arm round me and said of course you’re going to be playing every week, and he popped into a supermarket and came out with three bottles of wine. We drunk them on the train back to Liverpool.

"He deserves legendary status at Everton, that’s certain. For his achievements, his likeability, his personality and his charisma. He was a wonderful leader."

Very sad day. I'm 36 and I was spoilt when I was a young kid for a couple of seasons. I missed the truly great team but started out with a lineker four goal tally at home against Southampton. Obviously I was hooked and as we all know that is that. If the Kendall family are looking at these blue websites looking for some comfort I want them to know on just a small scale in my household he is responsible for me being a blue and now my five year old son. I work in Manchester and a few of my city fans were gutted, I then told them about his famous quote about managing city is an affair and Everton a marriage which got a reaction. Legend gets bandied about sometimes to much but in this case it seems a bit underwhelming, Howard was Everton. I hope the club do the man justice and rename the park end and if we do move eventually honour him as well as Bally and Dixie. Rest in peace Howard and much love to your family