Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Baines

So can I. Let's just hope the board get the balance right!

Likewise. But it would be a great statement of intent from the club and the player; £75,000 may be a lot for us but less than he'd get if he moved I think.

As Ant said the new TV money kicks in at the end of this season so a big chunk of that was always going to be passed on to players (sadly). If we were to get champs league and bring in the players to give us a decent run in it that's the sort of money we'd have to be looking at anyway.

Exciting dilemma to have though :yay: .

He's already on £50k+ a week, an extra £25k will be covered by Heitinga coming off the payroll (he's on £60k I believe)...

I'm comfortable with this. As Mike said, a great statement of intent that sends out a message top the likes of united that prized assets can be retained by Everton. We have moved at exactly the right time, securing key talent on top wages just before the likes of West Ham, Norwich start paying average players £60k a week.

The way I see it is, no guts, no glory. There's no safe, risk-free method of getting into the CL. We'll have to take some gambles. I think Baines is a good gamble.

Well, there is; actually being able to afford to spend.

Just ask Leeds if it was worth the gamble of overspending.

If Baines was younger and going to be around for a good few years then I'd think it was a good gamble, but he's not going to be a key factor in regular CL football for us (if it's to ever happen).

We'll see anyway. I'm just not wanting to be burned again like we were with Arteta and we had to have a mass sale of players.

Well, there is; actually being able to afford to spend.

Just ask Leeds if it was worth the gamble of overspending.

If Baines was younger and going to be around for a good few years then I'd think it was a good gamble, but he's not going to be a key factor in regular CL football for us (if it's to ever happen).

We'll see anyway. I'm just not wanting to be burned again like we were with Arteta and we had to have a mass sale of players.

Let's not get dramatic here. Giving Baines a pay raise is not even close to reaching the levels of a Leeds or Portsmouth. You really think a stingy guy like Kenwright is suddenly going to lose his mind here?

Let's not get dramatic here. Giving Baines a pay raise is not even close to reaching the levels of a Leeds or Portsmouth. You really think a stingy guy like Kenwright is suddenly going to lose his mind here?

I'm not saying we would get to that level, just that giving one player a huge wage rise (Arteta) did impact massively on us in the past and we had to sell a few of our players to keep the banks off our backs. And that was Kenwright (and the board) btw.

Hopefully the increased TV money will make it not hit us that hard if it backfires on us, but for a club that continually loses money year on year and has it's debt increase every year as well I'm not sure that'll help us all that much anyway.

Leeds (after reaching the semi I think) just assumed that they'd be in it for ever and spent accordingly, I really don't think we'll make the same mistake, but I understand the need for caution.

Leeds (after reaching the semi I think) just assumed that they'd be in it for ever and spent accordingly, I really don't think we'll make the same mistake, but I understand the need for caution.

Neither do I, I don't think we're that stupid or that our banks would even allow us to, just pointing out that gambling, and gambling in a way that's blew up in our faces in the past, isn't the best option. It doesn't really show that lessons have been learnt.

I'm not saying we would get to that level, just that giving one player a huge wage rise (Arteta) did impact massively on us in the past and we had to sell a few of our players to keep the banks off our backs. And that was Kenwright (and the board) btw.

Hopefully the increased TV money will make it not hit us that hard if it backfires on us, but for a club that continually loses money year on year and has it's debt increase every year as well I'm not sure that'll help us all that much anyway.

I think we're in a healthy spot. Let's remember that we sold Fellaini to bring in cheaper options and pocketed 10+ million in the process. I also imagine that we're factoring in revenue that Baines gets. Arteta's a great player but I can't imagine he's much of a pull in Spain. Baines, though, is the starting LB for England. I imagine his presence does a lot for advertising, jersey sales, etc. I trust Martinez to make the right decisions here.

I think we're in a healthy spot. Let's remember that we sold Fellaini to bring in cheaper options and pocketed 10+ million in the process. I also imagine that we're factoring in revenue that Baines gets. Arteta's a great player but I can't imagine he's much of a pull in Spain. Baines, though, is the starting LB for England. I imagine his presence does a lot for advertising, jersey sales, etc. I trust Martinez to make the right decisions here.

You do realise shirt sales don't mean a thing because we outsourced to KitBag?

I'm just playing devils advocate really because I don't want the same thing to happen that did with Arteta, and for us to lose the momentum we've built up since Martinez took charge.

Either way its a large "FUCKOFF" to Gollum and the likes and its a testimony to EfC because in all honesty Baines has been included in the PFA Premier League team of the year twice now and we all know he is the best English left back in the UK (dare i say even EU - on form anyways) so to have him and to keep him says a lot about where we are presently and that really makes me smile!!!

Don't know where this leaves Oviedo Baby though because I really like him as well!?

Either way its a large "FUCKOFF" to Gollum and the likes and its a testimony to EfC because in all honesty Baines has been included in the PFA Premier League team of the year twice now and we all know he is the best English left back in the UK (dare i say even EU - on form anyways) so to have him and to keep him says a lot about where we are presently and that really makes me smile!!!

Don't know where this leaves Oviedo Baby though because I really like him as well!?

"Use of red text is punishable by an official warning" (actually that's not a rule but it ought to be :happy:).

:Red card:

How much of a pay rise is that really? An extra 1.5m a year or so? I don't think that means we're gonna have to sell multiple players. Find a way to get Vellios and Gueye off the books and we already have it covered probably, even without increased income from tv deals or whatever.

He might still get sold too, we're just gonna be in a better bargaining position if Moyes comes back in for him. I would like him to stay with Everton for the rest of his career, but asset management wise it might be better to sell him. Because I do think Oviedo is good enough to be an above average starting left back for the next 8 years or so too and Baines (who is 29) could still get us that much money that if we reinvest it wisely in multiple players we could really end up better off for it.

To be fair, Bainsey deserves to earm top whack. Fortunately for us, he doesnt seem to be a total mercenary, say like Ashley Cole would be. So we may get away with paying him less than he deserves.

However, Im not a big fan of playing devils advocate with already fragile club finances, so I hope we have worked out a ceiling of what we can afford now, not what we might be able to afford if we do 'this, this or this'...and if it aint enough, then sell on. No hard feelings.

However, I am pretty sure it would be easy to say 'we'll give you xxx now, xxx if we get into europa and a fat xxxxxxx if we get into CL'. Happy days.

How much of a pay rise is that really? An extra 1.5m a year or so?

It's the same sort of increase that Arteta had tbf.

I don't think it will hit us that hard again, just putting it out there really.

At least I'm consistent; I had reservations when Arteta got that rise and was vocal about them.

I think it's great news, only thing I'm concerned about is Oviedo as I feel he has been so so good since he stepped up but Bainsey has done it for years now not just ten games. 25k increase is just like paying a nobody to sit on the bench so it's a minor snag in a big statement from us. You never know a good second half of the season and world cup would probably see city bidding £20 mill

Did he manager to negotiate captaincy, involvement in future transfers and for goodison to be maned Baines park???

Ooops - sorry, for a minute I thought players were bigger than the clubs, musdt get Man United out of my mind.

Pleased with this...

Considering how close the club was to losing the player a few short months ago, it represents a fine bit of business. Baines is such a pivotal part of the teams set-up and often weighs in with important goals, so that was pleasing to learn today.

It is indeed great news, but I refer back to my earlier post - this doesn't mean he will last past the summer.

If he doesn't then it will cost a club top dollar to get him. Either way its all good.

It is indeed great news, but I refer back to my earlier post - this doesn't mean he will last past the summer.

It does in a way because like you and haf have said...its going to cost a club top dollar to get him and i cant see many teams shelling out the best part of £20m on a 29 year old.

How did you react when you found out that Leighton Baines has pledged his future to Everton with a new four-year contract? Everton supporters will be feeling smug — a few might have tempered their joy wondering if their club should have cashed in on the 29-year-old — but overall Baines’ decision has cemented the Merseyside club’s status. Everton are no longer huffing and puffing to stay in the top half of the table, they have found a way to challenge for Europe with some style.

Neutrals, though, might wonder if Baines is being narrow-minded or lacking ambition. He will now spend the rest of his most effective playing days at the club he joined seven years ago from Wigan Athletic — which is all very well if Everton keep evolving but if they don’t then he will miss out on trophies, new systems and on a means of cementing his England place.

If players are not physically being uprooted then they are being asked if they want to sign for a new club. It hardly matters where they ply their trade or how well they are performing, there is always a sniff of interest from someone. This triggers mutterings of disquiet about lack of loyalty and a clinging sort of possessiveness which is usually pretty hypocritical as the fan who keeps his fingers crossed that his star striker will stay will hoot with delight when he is joined by a new strike partner from a club that can barely absorb the loss.

There is a food chain at work. A small club knows its place and expects its better players to move on. Has a fan of a Premier League club ever stopped to wonder how Ajax or Blackpool feel about losing another young starlet? Should a big Continental power come on scouting duty to say, Spurs, to look at Gareth Bale then there is little or no indignation. Instead the feeling is one of being flattered that one of our own can attract big money from abroad.

When clubs of a similar stature enter a tug of war it becomes ugly as when Fernando Torres left Liverpool for Chelsea on the final day of the 2011 January transfer window and there was startled horror around Anfield that a man whose armband said he was a Red could turn Blue. Never mind how Atlético fans felt on learning about the striker’s long-held love of Liverpool.

It is a callous business and although Roberto Martínez called the deal with Baines “a phenomenal boost” for Everton, it will not have the obvious impact that signing a brand new player would have made. Should Baines suffer a few poor games he will not necessarily be given extra leeway because of his loyalty. A fresh face would be allowed time to settle.

Losing Baines became, in a sense, unthinkable for Martínez. The former Wigan manager has attracted so much praise for his management style, clever use of the loan system and general all-round niceness that a transfer would have made no sense at all and possibly shaken the dressing room as well as those in the stands at Goodison.

You could argue it riskier for the player himself as should Everton fade after all he will be labelled as an under-achiever. He will become another Matt Le Tissier, a player who could have moved many times over but instead chose to stay at Southampton where he made 443 appearances and scored 162 goals, most of them gorgeous or from the spot. Le Tissier was happy on the South Coast and never quite understood why he should put silverware before comfort and loyalty. Had he left mid-career for Old Trafford, Southampton fans would have seen it as the natural order of things.

We have long been immune to suffering when a player betters himself. We save our ire for when they shift sideways for big bucks so, by rejecting United and the lure of a former manager, Baines has automatically shifted Everton into a new division, the one where clubs can mainly offload when they choose, not when they are told. It is not the biggest story of this window, but Baines’ loyalty possesses more texture and humanity of narrative than most other deals and it smacks of long-term planning rather than the quick-fix panic attacks that pepper the last week of January.

http://blogs.thetimes.co.uk/section/the-game/107497/new-deal-for-leighton-baines-ushers-everton-into-the-big-league/?shareToken=f4b4daff5e3fb9dbb8a91b115fe55278

Maybe that article should be shoved under the nose of every journo that believes Everton are some form of feeder club for Man United... maybe then they will hesitate creating "Barkley to United for £30 plus Vidic, Cleverley and Buttner"

Random journo formula being:- £Xm + old player + failed player + squad player

Maybe that article should be shoved under the nose of every journo that believes Everton are some form of feeder club for Man United... maybe then they will hesitate creating "Barkley to United for £30 plus Vidic, Cleverley and Buttner"

Random journo formula being:- £Xm + old player + failed player + squad player

It will have shocked a few, and they'll certainly have to work a bit harder on their speculative stories ahead of the next transfer window.

Shame that Mata's move overshadowed the Baines news a bit yesterday.

It will have shocked a few, and they'll certainly have to work a bit harder on their speculative stories ahead of the next transfer window.

Shame that Mata's move overshadowed the Baines news a bit yesterday.

Mata playing out of position tonight will overshadow his transfer...

Mata playing out of position tonight will overshadow his transfer...

He's small, left footed and creative. I think we all know where he'd be best, I don't know whether he will be as good as Baines though IMWT :afro2:

Everton now a team of thinkers thanks to Martinez influence, says Baines

There's a really interesting interview in the Echo today with Leighton Baines about the new challenges RM is posing to the players, and how much he's enjoying it.

“It’s still a work in progress at times. Every time we get comfortable in certain aspects the manager will introduce something else. We’re slowly improving as a team. You enjoy it if you enjoy thinking about football. We’ve got a lot of players doing their coaching badges so it’s interesting for them. I enjoy figuring things out and solving problems. Just trying to get on the same page as the manager and his staff."

Its nice to hear such refreshing comments from the players. I get the feeling they mean what they say these days, other than the empty sounding words/cliches that they used to come out with. We still have to wait and see whether they back their comments up on the pitch though, as normally that isnt the case!

Sometimes when people say what is "great" - makes you wonder what or why it wasn't there before...

Take a girl on a date to McDonalds and she says "oh this is nice, my ex boyfirend never took me out" - you know that he was lacking.

What Baines is saying in his praise is identifying what wasnt there before.

Sometimes when people say what is "great" - makes you wonder what or why it wasn't there before...

Take a girl on a date to McDonalds and she says "oh this is nice, my ex boyfirend never took me out" - you know that he was lacking.

What Baines is saying in his praise is identifying what wasnt there before.

I'm not so sure. It's just that things are different, and the players enjoy many aspects of what's new. I'm sure there are things they miss, too. Distin's interview from a while back implied just that.

I'm not so sure. It's just that things are different, and the players enjoy many aspects of what's new. I'm sure there are things they miss, too. Distin's interview from a while back implied just that.

Thing that frustrated me with Moyes was evolution and progression - we just didn't see it. Baines comments add weight as to why we didn't. Martinez is taking the players on a journey - teaching them new things when previous new things have been mastered, its exciting stuff to hear.

You're reminding me of an excellent business book entitled "The Three Signs of a Miserable Job". The main points the author makes, which are summarized here, in that 'parable' are,

- You need to be treated like someone special and recognized for who you are

- To give meaning to your work, you need to know how your role fits into the bigger picture

- You need to establish metrics so you can see how much you are improving over time

The evidence is that these three point are more important than job title and, very importantly, than salary. Plenty of people are paid a fortune but hate going to work.

Thing that frustrated me with Moyes was evolution and progression - we just didn't see it. Baines comments add weight as to why we didn't. Martinez is taking the players on a journey - teaching them new things when previous new things have been mastered, its exciting stuff to hear.

Progression? United is experience the opposite under him. Several players have came out on media and spoke against him, the latest being Zaha who tweeted a picture with Solskjaer, captioned "‘Nothing like someone who believes in you". Moyes is completely uninspiringly and have lost his players in just few months encharge.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am happy Baines signed a new deal. Most United fans are. We were all too afraid that Moyes will end up spending something around £20m on him. No doubt Baines have been an absolute terrific player for Everton, but we want a younger player to replace Evra.

Progression? United is experience the opposite under him. Several players have came out on media and spoke against him, the latest being Zaha who tweeted a picture with Solskjaer, captioned "‘Nothing like someone who believes in you". Moyes is completely uninspiringly and have lost his players in just few months encharge.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am happy Baines signed a new deal. Most United fans are. We were all too afraid that Moyes will end up spending something around £20m on him. No doubt Baines have been an absolute terrific player for Everton, but we want a younger player to replace Evra.

did surprise me that he seemed to spend all summer chasing someone just a few years younger than evra...shaw was the obvious surely?

I've probably been more favorable to Moyes than most on this board, but I agree. To be honest, I don't think he knew where the next step was from where he had gotten the squad over the past four or five years. I think Roberto has a vision and is getting the players to buy into his vision.

second that. getting off on strange things. that answers the question as to why your observation of evertons football is so amature, your too busy blowing kisses at baines while he walks for you.