IGNORED

Leighton Baines

I think Oviedo playing ahead of Baines will be used in upcoming fixtures - Pienaar got quite a knock yesterday which may stiffen up (don't bother!!!) and Mirallas looks in need of a rest. Oviedo has looked decent on the few occasions he's played more advanced - he did a really good job vs West Ham away earlier this season. I think we'll get another winger in Jan but I'd be more than happy with Bryan staying in the mix in that position.

I think Oviedo playing ahead of Baines will be used in upcoming fixtures - Pienaar got quite a knock yesterday which may stiffen up (don't bother!!!) and Mirallas looks in need of a rest. Oviedo has looked decent on the few occasions he's played more advanced - he did a really good job vs West Ham away earlier this season. I think we'll get another winger in Jan but I'd be more than happy with Bryan staying in the mix in that position.

:D :D :D :D

sounds like he will waltz back in, which is disappointing. Bryan didnt have the best game yesterday (wasnt bad either) but shouldnt lose out so quickly. I hope theres a little rotation going between the 2 over the holiday period, its the only fair way in my opinion.

Oviedo deserves to have a run out against the lower position teams in the league. Baines is an idol and one of our best weapons, however, his injury has just prove to most of the Toffees on Merseyside that we can do without if he does leave!

Not for me. He is a left back and doesnt have the positional intelligence to really play on the wing. Like Coleman he uses pace to create space which is fine as a FB but its the complete opposite of Pienaar. I suppose it would help us on the counter though.

Our play has improved a lot since Baines has been out of the team but IMO it has nothing to do with him not being in the side and its purely co-incidental. Baines is a better attacker and defender and whilst I like Oviedo and think he is a solid no 2, that is all he is IMO, providing Baines does pick his form up again like he started to show in the derby.

Bailey you realize Oviedo is a left wing for Costa Rica right? That's his natural position.

Just because he plays there for Costa Rica doesnt mean he is a natural winger. Coleman played on the wing for us and Republic of Ireland for a while but that doesnt mean he is a natural winger either.

IMO he doesnt have the attributes to be a genuine winger and he is much more suited to being a FB.

Coleman is a better winger. Last 2 years moyes worked on his defense which Is better but look at what he's doing now with more encouragement to move up, scores 4 goals and arsenal wants to buy him. They didn't last year or the year before.

Both Oviedo and Coleman are quick and can put it in the box, they look like wingers to me. All the complaints about Oviedo taking over for baines were that he's a winger and doesn't defend well. Just because he has acquitted himself doesn't make him a left back now.

Coleman is a better winger. Last 2 years moyes worked on his defense which Is better but look at what he's doing now with more encouragement to move up, scores 4 goals and arsenal wants to buy him. They didn't last year or the year before.

Both Oviedo and Coleman are quick and can put it in the box, they look like wingers to me. All the complaints about Oviedo taking over for baines were that he's a winger and doesn't defend well. Just because he has acquitted himself doesn't make him a left back now.

Coleman was well and truly found out as a winger and was rightfully pushed back to his natural position where he's excelled.

He started off like a house on fire on the wing but opposition players quickly nullified his threat because he's not clever enough to be a winger. He's much better suited to being a RB where he'll have more space to work in.

They are wingers in the sense that they can get their head down and get to the byline but that's about it. That only gets you so far, especially when you come up against good defenders. Their movement, decision making, passing/crossing etc aren't good enough to be a top flight winger. I'm not saying they cant do a job here and there because I'm sure they can but they shouldn't be used as regulars in that position.

Coleman was well and truly found out as a winger and was rightfully pushed back to his natural position where he's excelled.

He started off like a house on fire on the wing but opposition players quickly nullified his threat because he's not clever enough to be a winger. He's much better suited to being a RB where he'll have more space to work in.

Spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

I do think ultimately this is the right move to tie him down and if push came to shove I would rely on him as my first choice however probably like a lot of you seeing oviedo in the left back position and playing so well the fear of baines leaving doesn't bother me as much now. I would rather keep baines on the principle to show we are not a selling club and trying to build something.

not sure if i'd rather sell him instead of paying that much

I guess if regular champions league football is secured then these are the types of wages that are inevitable. Risk is paying that level of wages and then not kicking on to the next level to get the extra revenue

I guess if regular champions league football is secured then these are the types of wages that are inevitable. Risk is paying that level of wages and then not kicking on to the next level to get the extra revenue

Which is exactly what happened with Arteta, and, if rumours are to be believed it crippled us.

Which is exactly what happened with Arteta, and, if rumours are to be believed it crippled us.

It's a tough one. Revenue is up from premier league tv deal, and champions league revenue is set to go up even more soon with BT deal (I think?). Is it worth the risk to try and get there, or is it better to get there first then risk the higher wages to stay there? Can see both sides of the argument really.

It's a tough one. Revenue is up from premier league tv deal, and champions league revenue is set to go up even more soon with BT deal (I think?). Is it worth the risk to try and get there, or is it better to get there first then risk the higher wages to stay there? Can see both sides of the argument really.

So can I. Let's just hope the board get the balance right!