IGNORED

Leighton Baines

How did you react when you found out that Leighton Baines has pledged his future to Everton with a new four-year contract? Everton supporters will be feeling smug — a few might have tempered their joy wondering if their club should have cashed in on the 29-year-old — but overall Baines’ decision has cemented the Merseyside club’s status. Everton are no longer huffing and puffing to stay in the top half of the table, they have found a way to challenge for Europe with some style.

Neutrals, though, might wonder if Baines is being narrow-minded or lacking ambition. He will now spend the rest of his most effective playing days at the club he joined seven years ago from Wigan Athletic — which is all very well if Everton keep evolving but if they don’t then he will miss out on trophies, new systems and on a means of cementing his England place.

If players are not physically being uprooted then they are being asked if they want to sign for a new club. It hardly matters where they ply their trade or how well they are performing, there is always a sniff of interest from someone. This triggers mutterings of disquiet about lack of loyalty and a clinging sort of possessiveness which is usually pretty hypocritical as the fan who keeps his fingers crossed that his star striker will stay will hoot with delight when he is joined by a new strike partner from a club that can barely absorb the loss.

There is a food chain at work. A small club knows its place and expects its better players to move on. Has a fan of a Premier League club ever stopped to wonder how Ajax or Blackpool feel about losing another young starlet? Should a big Continental power come on scouting duty to say, Spurs, to look at Gareth Bale then there is little or no indignation. Instead the feeling is one of being flattered that one of our own can attract big money from abroad.

When clubs of a similar stature enter a tug of war it becomes ugly as when Fernando Torres left Liverpool for Chelsea on the final day of the 2011 January transfer window and there was startled horror around Anfield that a man whose armband said he was a Red could turn Blue. Never mind how Atlético fans felt on learning about the striker’s long-held love of Liverpool.

It is a callous business and although Roberto Martínez called the deal with Baines “a phenomenal boost” for Everton, it will not have the obvious impact that signing a brand new player would have made. Should Baines suffer a few poor games he will not necessarily be given extra leeway because of his loyalty. A fresh face would be allowed time to settle.

Losing Baines became, in a sense, unthinkable for Martínez. The former Wigan manager has attracted so much praise for his management style, clever use of the loan system and general all-round niceness that a transfer would have made no sense at all and possibly shaken the dressing room as well as those in the stands at Goodison.

You could argue it riskier for the player himself as should Everton fade after all he will be labelled as an under-achiever. He will become another Matt Le Tissier, a player who could have moved many times over but instead chose to stay at Southampton where he made 443 appearances and scored 162 goals, most of them gorgeous or from the spot. Le Tissier was happy on the South Coast and never quite understood why he should put silverware before comfort and loyalty. Had he left mid-career for Old Trafford, Southampton fans would have seen it as the natural order of things.

We have long been immune to suffering when a player betters himself. We save our ire for when they shift sideways for big bucks so, by rejecting United and the lure of a former manager, Baines has automatically shifted Everton into a new division, the one where clubs can mainly offload when they choose, not when they are told. It is not the biggest story of this window, but Baines’ loyalty possesses more texture and humanity of narrative than most other deals and it smacks of long-term planning rather than the quick-fix panic attacks that pepper the last week of January.

http://blogs.thetimes.co.uk/section/the-game/107497/new-deal-for-leighton-baines-ushers-everton-into-the-big-league/?shareToken=f4b4daff5e3fb9dbb8a91b115fe55278

Maybe that article should be shoved under the nose of every journo that believes Everton are some form of feeder club for Man United... maybe then they will hesitate creating "Barkley to United for £30 plus Vidic, Cleverley and Buttner"

Random journo formula being:- £Xm + old player + failed player + squad player

Maybe that article should be shoved under the nose of every journo that believes Everton are some form of feeder club for Man United... maybe then they will hesitate creating "Barkley to United for £30 plus Vidic, Cleverley and Buttner"

Random journo formula being:- £Xm + old player + failed player + squad player

It will have shocked a few, and they'll certainly have to work a bit harder on their speculative stories ahead of the next transfer window.

Shame that Mata's move overshadowed the Baines news a bit yesterday.

Everton now a team of thinkers thanks to Martinez influence, says Baines

There's a really interesting interview in the Echo today with Leighton Baines about the new challenges RM is posing to the players, and how much he's enjoying it.

“It’s still a work in progress at times. Every time we get comfortable in certain aspects the manager will introduce something else. We’re slowly improving as a team. You enjoy it if you enjoy thinking about football. We’ve got a lot of players doing their coaching badges so it’s interesting for them. I enjoy figuring things out and solving problems. Just trying to get on the same page as the manager and his staff."

Its nice to hear such refreshing comments from the players. I get the feeling they mean what they say these days, other than the empty sounding words/cliches that they used to come out with. We still have to wait and see whether they back their comments up on the pitch though, as normally that isnt the case!

Sometimes when people say what is "great" - makes you wonder what or why it wasn't there before...

Take a girl on a date to McDonalds and she says "oh this is nice, my ex boyfirend never took me out" - you know that he was lacking.

What Baines is saying in his praise is identifying what wasnt there before.

Sometimes when people say what is "great" - makes you wonder what or why it wasn't there before...

Take a girl on a date to McDonalds and she says "oh this is nice, my ex boyfirend never took me out" - you know that he was lacking.

What Baines is saying in his praise is identifying what wasnt there before.

I'm not so sure. It's just that things are different, and the players enjoy many aspects of what's new. I'm sure there are things they miss, too. Distin's interview from a while back implied just that.

I'm not so sure. It's just that things are different, and the players enjoy many aspects of what's new. I'm sure there are things they miss, too. Distin's interview from a while back implied just that.

Thing that frustrated me with Moyes was evolution and progression - we just didn't see it. Baines comments add weight as to why we didn't. Martinez is taking the players on a journey - teaching them new things when previous new things have been mastered, its exciting stuff to hear.

You're reminding me of an excellent business book entitled "The Three Signs of a Miserable Job". The main points the author makes, which are summarized here, in that 'parable' are,

- You need to be treated like someone special and recognized for who you are

- To give meaning to your work, you need to know how your role fits into the bigger picture

- You need to establish metrics so you can see how much you are improving over time

The evidence is that these three point are more important than job title and, very importantly, than salary. Plenty of people are paid a fortune but hate going to work.

Thing that frustrated me with Moyes was evolution and progression - we just didn't see it. Baines comments add weight as to why we didn't. Martinez is taking the players on a journey - teaching them new things when previous new things have been mastered, its exciting stuff to hear.

Progression? United is experience the opposite under him. Several players have came out on media and spoke against him, the latest being Zaha who tweeted a picture with Solskjaer, captioned "‘Nothing like someone who believes in you". Moyes is completely uninspiringly and have lost his players in just few months encharge.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am happy Baines signed a new deal. Most United fans are. We were all too afraid that Moyes will end up spending something around £20m on him. No doubt Baines have been an absolute terrific player for Everton, but we want a younger player to replace Evra.

Progression? United is experience the opposite under him. Several players have came out on media and spoke against him, the latest being Zaha who tweeted a picture with Solskjaer, captioned "‘Nothing like someone who believes in you". Moyes is completely uninspiringly and have lost his players in just few months encharge.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am happy Baines signed a new deal. Most United fans are. We were all too afraid that Moyes will end up spending something around £20m on him. No doubt Baines have been an absolute terrific player for Everton, but we want a younger player to replace Evra.

did surprise me that he seemed to spend all summer chasing someone just a few years younger than evra...shaw was the obvious surely?

I've probably been more favorable to Moyes than most on this board, but I agree. To be honest, I don't think he knew where the next step was from where he had gotten the squad over the past four or five years. I think Roberto has a vision and is getting the players to buy into his vision.

• 3 weeks later...