IGNORED

Leighton Baines

I think Roy's comments that Cole and Shaw are the ones he 'needs to look at in an England shirt' tonight, pretty much mean that Baines is first choice now for the foreseeable, and he's just deciding whether to effectively retire Cole or give him one more tournament as back up

I think Roy's comments that Cole and Shaw are the ones he 'needs to look at in an England shirt' tonight, pretty much mean that Baines is first choice now for the foreseeable, and he's just deciding whether to effectively retire Cole or give him one more tournament as back up

He shouldn't need to. He should just take Shaw and leave Cole at home. Being around the squad at a tournament will be good for Shaw when it comes to the next one as he's likely to be first choice by then.

He shouldn't need to. He should just take Shaw and leave Cole at home. Being around the squad at a tournament will be good for Shaw when it comes to the next one as he's likely to be first choice by then.

Agree. Although Baines will still be there for the 2016 Euros I would think, if we qualify of course, then Shaw first choice by the next World Cup. Although things can obviously change depending on form at any time

If i would have opened the rubbish post thread a few days earlier this would have been a dead cert!

to be fair, if he had made a different point to the "feminine clap" it wouldve been fine. Certainly has better candidate posts for your new thread ;)

haha dont think i havent noticed Matt!

On topic, in a way, I'd take Cole over Shaw. Only for the safe bet. If i was Hodgson and something happened to Baines, i'd be happy to put in a player like Cole who has been there done that and picked up 100 caps on the way, rather than Shaw who has a half cap and little experience. Shaw might bottle it and panic at the WC, or he could be amazing. We dont know. But we do know Cole will be calm and collected and do a good job.

In terms of defence i'd go with the steady Eddies, take the risks with the forward players. Just my opinion.

Oh, and Chris Smalling should not be in that squad! The lad is crap, he isnt even a youngster with potential any more, the minute Moyes sells him he wont get in the England team again.

haha dont think i havent noticed Matt!

On topic, in a way, I'd take Cole over Shaw. Only for the safe bet. If i was Hodgson and something happened to Baines, i'd be happy to put in a player like Cole who has been there done that and picked up 100 caps on the way, rather than Shaw who has a half cap and little experience. Shaw might bottle it and panic at the WC, or he could be amazing. We dont know. But we do know Cole will be calm and collected and do a good job.

In terms of defence i'd go with the steady Eddies, take the risks with the forward players. Just my opinion.

Oh, and Chris Smalling should not be in that squad! The lad is crap, he isnt even a youngster with potential any more, the minute Moyes sells him he wont get in the England team again.

Never in a million years mate. England arent going to win the World Cup anyway, so Id much rather start to blood in the youth, like the Germans and Spanish did from 2006-2008 - look at them now!

The fact that Cole got to 100 caps just shows how bad the team has been, even through the "Golden Generation". Hes a media pick, chosen because of his name and not his ability.

Edited by Matt

I would take Cole as well tbh... Cole was pretty good from what I saw against Denmark and his stats coming out of the game were superior.

Shaw is the future that's for sure but Hodgson has left it too late to get the experience into him IMO.

im lost. What difference will Cole make? Because unless it's winning the World Cup, surely we should be looking to the future now.

im lost. What difference will Cole make? Because unless it's winning the World Cup, surely we should be looking to the future now.

We should be looking to finish as high as we possibly can IMO regardless of whether we can win it. If by some magic we got to the semi finals it would be a huge boost to the country and if you asked me who I would rather have in that type of game, especially given the relative inexperience at international level of the CB's, I would go with Cole who has been there and done it. Cole isnt as good as he used to be but you can rely on him in the big games.

Shaw hasnt even played a competitive international yet and his time will come.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow didn't expect that! Very interesting, it sounds like he's been planning this a while. So if Barry does sign it would be a 2 year contract anyway probably, due to his age, with Baines phasing into his new position gradually during that second season? Or alternatively do we think Barry might not sign now, and Roberto might go with this from next season onwards, Brian playing left back??

Love it. To have a manager who even contemplates this just fills me with excitement tbh. For him to take an already pretty experienced player to a match and say to him, "you could do this", is unconventional but it makes sense! It speaks volumes of both Martinez and Baines as professionals.

Marco, I agree baines is a "phenomenal" (:P) left back but so was Lahm! (RB I know) I'm sure eye brows were raised by Bayern fans when he was played in CM but there is only one way to find out. It's like he's got the player who we know is an amazing full back but he see's more than what he can do at full back and what he can bring to other areas of the field with what he is good at.

I think Alaba has also played CM for Bayern and International level as well so it seems it may be the way football is evolving that we see things like this.

At some point Baines will lose some speed and acceleration, and do not forget about Bryan Oviedo. It could be interesting, just another option to the side.

Lahm also plays RB nowadays, Guardiola alternates him betweem CM and RB.

Dont people be thinking that this is an imminent thing.

This is forward thinking at its best.

What do you do with a top class player who plays in a hugely energy sapping and and demanding position? Most would just let them slowly rot away in the same position.

But what if you can see qualities that can be utilised in other areas of the team and help to prolong his career? Theres nothing wrong with exploring it, might not happen and might not work.

The holding role is becoming useful for a number of players who no longer have the legs but can still offer loads to a team....Barry, Lahm, Gerrard, Pirlo.

I don't think he'd be physically imposing enough to play in midfield. On the other hand, I'd have said the same thing about Lahm before Guardiola played him there and he has done brilliantly.

His ability to build up play in tighter spaces (which he's done a lot of combining with Pienaar near the sideline) is something we could use in midfield. I think we've been sterile at times this season when teams have pressed us high up and Barry and McCarthy haven't been able to find a pass forward. Like in the first half against Fulham where we only managed to get the ball forward with long balls that often went nowhere. Tough I think a lot of that is just Barkley staying too high up and too near the opposition's centre backs (and we did much better against Fulham as well when Naismith came on and dropped into those pockets of space).

I wouldn't mind us experimenting with it, but I hope they don't use this to justify passing up on Barry if his wage demands are high.

But isnt martinez on about a holding role not ledt mid???

I think its a few years away anyway, so no need to panic too much. Thats if it even happens.

Got to applaud him though for trying to get every pennys worth out of his players!!!

At this rate, they'll be like us normal folk....not allowed to retire until we are 80!!!

Guest Nikica

Lahm's a bit of an anomaly, he's just a wonderfully intelligent footballer and one of the few who genuinely could play most positions on the park.

Baines wouldn't adapt as well to that role, but I admire the fact that Martinez is receptive to what other managers are trying. Baines may or may not do well there if it is attempted, but the fact it may be being considered is great news for the club, as it shows Martinez as a progressive, humble coach who is willing to try new things.

A feature of our holding centre mids is covering the full-back positions (especially Barry) - when his legs have gone a little and he can't get up and down the flank as he does then this will be an excellent option for him to still be useful to us.

A lot of players can play in a defensive midfield role and full-back - this is not a new concept at all... love Roberto coming out and saying this though.

Edited by c1982