IGNORED

Leighton Baines

So can I. Let's just hope the board get the balance right!

Likewise. But it would be a great statement of intent from the club and the player; £75,000 may be a lot for us but less than he'd get if he moved I think.

As Ant said the new TV money kicks in at the end of this season so a big chunk of that was always going to be passed on to players (sadly). If we were to get champs league and bring in the players to give us a decent run in it that's the sort of money we'd have to be looking at anyway.

Exciting dilemma to have though :yay: .

He's already on £50k+ a week, an extra £25k will be covered by Heitinga coming off the payroll (he's on £60k I believe)...

I'm comfortable with this. As Mike said, a great statement of intent that sends out a message top the likes of united that prized assets can be retained by Everton. We have moved at exactly the right time, securing key talent on top wages just before the likes of West Ham, Norwich start paying average players £60k a week.

Edited by Hafnia

The way I see it is, no guts, no glory. There's no safe, risk-free method of getting into the CL. We'll have to take some gambles. I think Baines is a good gamble.

Well, there is; actually being able to afford to spend.

Just ask Leeds if it was worth the gamble of overspending.

If Baines was younger and going to be around for a good few years then I'd think it was a good gamble, but he's not going to be a key factor in regular CL football for us (if it's to ever happen).

We'll see anyway. I'm just not wanting to be burned again like we were with Arteta and we had to have a mass sale of players.

Well, there is; actually being able to afford to spend.

Just ask Leeds if it was worth the gamble of overspending.

If Baines was younger and going to be around for a good few years then I'd think it was a good gamble, but he's not going to be a key factor in regular CL football for us (if it's to ever happen).

We'll see anyway. I'm just not wanting to be burned again like we were with Arteta and we had to have a mass sale of players.

Let's not get dramatic here. Giving Baines a pay raise is not even close to reaching the levels of a Leeds or Portsmouth. You really think a stingy guy like Kenwright is suddenly going to lose his mind here?

Let's not get dramatic here. Giving Baines a pay raise is not even close to reaching the levels of a Leeds or Portsmouth. You really think a stingy guy like Kenwright is suddenly going to lose his mind here?

I'm not saying we would get to that level, just that giving one player a huge wage rise (Arteta) did impact massively on us in the past and we had to sell a few of our players to keep the banks off our backs. And that was Kenwright (and the board) btw.

Hopefully the increased TV money will make it not hit us that hard if it backfires on us, but for a club that continually loses money year on year and has it's debt increase every year as well I'm not sure that'll help us all that much anyway.

Leeds (after reaching the semi I think) just assumed that they'd be in it for ever and spent accordingly, I really don't think we'll make the same mistake, but I understand the need for caution.

Neither do I, I don't think we're that stupid or that our banks would even allow us to, just pointing out that gambling, and gambling in a way that's blew up in our faces in the past, isn't the best option. It doesn't really show that lessons have been learnt.

I'm not saying we would get to that level, just that giving one player a huge wage rise (Arteta) did impact massively on us in the past and we had to sell a few of our players to keep the banks off our backs. And that was Kenwright (and the board) btw.

Hopefully the increased TV money will make it not hit us that hard if it backfires on us, but for a club that continually loses money year on year and has it's debt increase every year as well I'm not sure that'll help us all that much anyway.

I think we're in a healthy spot. Let's remember that we sold Fellaini to bring in cheaper options and pocketed 10+ million in the process. I also imagine that we're factoring in revenue that Baines gets. Arteta's a great player but I can't imagine he's much of a pull in Spain. Baines, though, is the starting LB for England. I imagine his presence does a lot for advertising, jersey sales, etc. I trust Martinez to make the right decisions here.

I think we're in a healthy spot. Let's remember that we sold Fellaini to bring in cheaper options and pocketed 10+ million in the process. I also imagine that we're factoring in revenue that Baines gets. Arteta's a great player but I can't imagine he's much of a pull in Spain. Baines, though, is the starting LB for England. I imagine his presence does a lot for advertising, jersey sales, etc. I trust Martinez to make the right decisions here.

You do realise shirt sales don't mean a thing because we outsourced to KitBag?

I'm just playing devils advocate really because I don't want the same thing to happen that did with Arteta, and for us to lose the momentum we've built up since Martinez took charge.

Either way its a large "FUCKOFF" to Gollum and the likes and its a testimony to EfC because in all honesty Baines has been included in the PFA Premier League team of the year twice now and we all know he is the best English left back in the UK (dare i say even EU - on form anyways) so to have him and to keep him says a lot about where we are presently and that really makes me smile!!!

Don't know where this leaves Oviedo Baby though because I really like him as well!?

Edited by drs08

Either way its a large "FUCKOFF" to Gollum and the likes and its a testimony to EfC because in all honesty Baines has been included in the PFA Premier League team of the year twice now and we all know he is the best English left back in the UK (dare i say even EU - on form anyways) so to have him and to keep him says a lot about where we are presently and that really makes me smile!!!

Don't know where this leaves Oviedo Baby though because I really like him as well!?

"Use of red text is punishable by an official warning" (actually that's not a rule but it ought to be :happy:).

:Red card:

How much of a pay rise is that really? An extra 1.5m a year or so? I don't think that means we're gonna have to sell multiple players. Find a way to get Vellios and Gueye off the books and we already have it covered probably, even without increased income from tv deals or whatever.

He might still get sold too, we're just gonna be in a better bargaining position if Moyes comes back in for him. I would like him to stay with Everton for the rest of his career, but asset management wise it might be better to sell him. Because I do think Oviedo is good enough to be an above average starting left back for the next 8 years or so too and Baines (who is 29) could still get us that much money that if we reinvest it wisely in multiple players we could really end up better off for it.

To be fair, Bainsey deserves to earm top whack. Fortunately for us, he doesnt seem to be a total mercenary, say like Ashley Cole would be. So we may get away with paying him less than he deserves.

However, Im not a big fan of playing devils advocate with already fragile club finances, so I hope we have worked out a ceiling of what we can afford now, not what we might be able to afford if we do 'this, this or this'...and if it aint enough, then sell on. No hard feelings.

However, I am pretty sure it would be easy to say 'we'll give you xxx now, xxx if we get into europa and a fat xxxxxxx if we get into CL'. Happy days.

I think it's great news, only thing I'm concerned about is Oviedo as I feel he has been so so good since he stepped up but Bainsey has done it for years now not just ten games. 25k increase is just like paying a nobody to sit on the bench so it's a minor snag in a big statement from us. You never know a good second half of the season and world cup would probably see city bidding £20 mill

Edited by Tricky Trev