IGNORED

Leighton Baines

Tbh I was amazed that he wasnt played more at the start. There was always going to be some adaption time and I think he had a couple of niggles but he was excellent at Wigan and it's rare to get a defender with such a threat and it's even rarer to have 2!

Edited by Bailey

Lescott was like a stopper at left back. Baines even though a little off what he should have been had great energy and attacking flair. Moyes valued defence over attack.

Been the best Everton player over past 7 years - best fitness levels I have seen since Gary Stevens/Ratcliffe. James McCarthy however look a new contender to that throne - pure athlete.

Yeh he did alright in fairness but he is clearly a centre half and shouldnt be played at LB unless its an emergency (which I think it was at the start whilst Baines was injured).

Baines wasn't injured Lescott was in pn merit. He was scoring goals for fun at the time and was very much an attacking threat

Said many times that he is overlooked at times.

When you get chance watch him through a match and see how many times he loses the ball. Look at when a challenge comes in and look how he uses his body well to shield the ball and get a pass away.

His passing seems to be getting even more penetrating too.

I found lescott to be a reliable full back in a centre half mold - not quite able to compete over the first 5-10 yards aswell as Baines, but he did manage to cut out crosses once he got moving.

As Mike said, his goal threat was as a good headerer in set piece situations.

Baines is the modern day wing back - awesome energy and technical ability.

Maybe didn't have the crossing ability and also didn't take set pieces of course but always seem to remember him being available out wide for people...wouldn't have complained about yobo being shifted mind and lescott put in the centre earlier than happened

Definitely how I seem to remember it

Baines wasn't injured Lescott was in pn merit. He was scoring goals for fun at the time and was very much an attacking threat

Lescott at left back was very good, he was up and down the wing and our back four was pretty solid back then.

He wasn't an attacking threat in the same way Baines is though was he? Scored a fair few headers from set pieces for sure but he didn't bomb up and down the wing; barely an assist to his name I'd have thought.

Yeh that's how I remember it. Certainly not an attacking threat in the Baines sense as Lescott has never been the greatest passer of the ball!

Yeh that's how I remember it. Certainly not an attacking threat in the Baines sense as Lescott has never been the greatest passer of the ball!

Found the "assist" figures; in the season he played mostly left back Lescott got two assists (eights goals though so very useful contribution); the next three seasons Baines got seven, nine and eleven.

Found the "assist" figures; in the season he played mostly left back Lescott got two assists (eights goals though so very useful contribution); the next three seasons Baines got seven, nine and eleven.

Yeh sounds about right. He scored the goals or at least a majority of the goals from corners and not because he was LB too.

Don't know whether words such as "astounding" and "unbelievable achievement" are hyperbole, but that's the way this writer assesses the stats.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/2118187/leighton-baines-astounding-offensive-exploits-have-been-overlooked

And to summarize what came across to me as the main message:

• Under Moyes previous seasons: 71 appearances, 595 crosses (8.4/game), 7 assists
  • Under Martinez just this season: 9 appearances, 44 crosses (4.9/game), 6 assists

And to summarize what came across to me as the main message:

• Under Moyes previous seasons: 71 appearances, 595 crosses (8.4/game), 7 assists
  • Under Martinez just this season: 9 appearances, 44 crosses (4.9/game), 6 assists

same here. i thought it was a good article, pointed out that baines is better at pinpoint passes and putting the ball in front of runners than crosses. nothing wrong with that, i'd rather play to his strengths. i think this is why RM thinks he can play CM.

same here. i thought it was a good article, pointed out that baines is better at pinpoint passes and putting the ball in front of runners than crosses. nothing wrong with that, i'd rather play to his strengths. i think this is why RM thinks he can play CM.

That's got to be the worst Billy Bull RM has come out with tbh. Gladly be proved wrong. Personally think he's way off the mark though. Edited by MC11

That's got to be the worst Billy Bull RM has come out with tbh. Gladly be proved wrong. Personally think he's way off the mark though.

I think you're spot on. I don't think Baines is built to be a central midfielder one little bit. He's a modern day wing back he would be bullied and pushed around as a central midfielder. Imo anyway.

Philip Lah isn't exactly a big guy and he does alright!

I don't see why he couldn't. He is one of the best incisive passers in the squad, excellent in tight spaces and reads the game well.

I'm not saying he will be as good as he is at RB but I still haven't heard as to why not.

You don't know your left from your right Bailey :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...