IGNORED

Difficult one this, but on balance feel the need to post it....

MikeO

Guest Nikica

Hopefully things get better soon mate, and you beat this nasty disease. You seem to be a strong-willed guy physically and emotionally so I have every faith that you can beat it. It takes bravery to talk about it on a forum, never mind actually fight it.

I agree with people who have said that you're sensible, friendly, affable etc. You would be a great loss to this site and life generally, I know that much.

Edited by Nikica

Just read this, agree with all posters above and i wish that you will have a quick successful recovery. My mother in law was diagnosed with the exact same condition, more than 15 years ago. 3 operations later it has come back again but no more operations are possible. She is now on some experimental drug which seems to be doing the trick although it does raise her blood pressure a lot. Long story short, we are hoping for her to see our new addition to the family go to school for the first time (no, not born yet, still waiting) she is a fighter and im sure that you are too. Get well soon Mike!

Just read this, agree with all posters above and i wish that you will have a quick successful recovery. My mother in law was diagnosed with the exact same condition, more than 15 years ago. 3 operations later it has come back again but no more operations are possible. She is now on some experimental drug which seems to be doing the trick although it does raise her blood pressure a lot. Long story short, we are hoping for her to see our new addition to the family go to school for the first time (no, not born yet, still waiting) she is a fighter and im sure that you are too. Get well soon Mike!

Thanks for that Peter; can relate to that bit in bold because my dad was ill when my lad was born and it was always really important for me that they actually got to know each other for a while....luckily he hung around until Josh was seven so he has a fair few memories of him. My very best to your mother in law!

Only just read this and sorry to hear about the bad news Mike I genuinely am.

Your a huge part and influence on here and a great contributor and cracking bloke and I wish You every bit of luck in the world in beating it mate.

Chin up be strong and positive and I'm sure You will beat it!!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Briefly again; still going strong.

Few little side effects but nothing unmanageable (the drugs do work), my voice is changing and my taste buds are knackered so savoury food tastes like cardboard; I'm on a cheesecake and chocolate diet :lol:.

Fourteenth radiotherapy session this morning so making a decent dent in it now.....all good still, no complications and a lot better off than many people I've met during the course of this!

Tricky bits to come I know but the hardest thing to cope with up to this point was the derby result :(.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I'm not a regular poster, by any means, and have somehow managed to miss this thread.

I am really sorry to hear of your ill health and hope you recover quickly.

You are one of the stalwarts of the board and always come across well.

Wishing you and your family all the very best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting there......just this tiredness all the time and body being out of sync with brain (body awake/brain wants to sleep or body exhauted/brain on full whack) that I need to get through; plus stomach pains from muscle strain from coughing. Oh.....and I need to learn to eat again :unsure:.

Better by the day though, small steps but it's happening.

Can appreciate the situation to a certain extent, experiencing my own difficulties in more ways than one, although wish not to elaborate. Yes it's all about different individuals with different issues and we don't always know the extent of what others may be going through, but tried to say we're never (really) alone in (unwanted) issues that life can provide. Guess one persons selfish appearance is anothers legitimate concerns, but in any event, sincere best wishes towards the rest of your recovery and may you (and indeed other participants experiencing relevant health issues) come through any adversities and be back to your best.

They say that whatever doesn't kill you, makes you a stronger individual, but sometimes in two minds about that train of thought.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this.....about two months post treatment and all is cautiously optimistic. Saw my oncologist a while back and my surgeon yesterday and they both agree that the treatment appears to have worked in destroying the primary cancer, though it's difficult to see too clearly as my throat is still badly swollen as a result of the radiotherapy. Still many more checks and scans over several years before they can say with any confidence that it's gone completely but it's as positive as it could be at the moment; I'm even eating the odd bit of solid food (though everything tastes pretty awful 'cos my taste buds don't work properly).

Wish you every success with your recovery. Sounds a real nefarious setback and does put into perspective any other issues those reading may be experiencing. Get well soon OK