IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

This is not a knee jerk but an assessment on tonight's performance.

I don't think that performance has done him any favours in terms of a starting place for the World Cup. Everyone has bad days at the office but I'm sorry that was shambolic.

I'm all for Jagielka he is a great player, but he needs pace around him. Without the pace he looks like a headless chicken. I mean the fourth goal, come on that was a primary school boy error. It's just not good enough from a captain and full international.

Tonight is not the first time I've seen Jags tore a new one at Anfield either.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but we can't play that back four again. It was so vulnerable it was awful to watch.

Guest blueboy122

I think that the mauling tonight has been coming. Like Romey said I also had the feeling that we just weren't solid at the back and find it hard to believe that we have conceded such a small number of goals.

Jags is a classy player no doubt and a great captain it was just a bad day at the office. Am sure the players will be as sick as us if not sicker.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So who's his first-choice partner in defence while Stones is out? My vote is Alcaraz for the moment.

The problem with Alcaraz is his lack of pace. He can get away with it in 90% of the games but in the odd one or two he'll get exposed. Distin should play.

why do people have a downer on jags he's been our best defender for years.

He wasnt last year or the year before that.

Like any player who has been out of form, one game doesnt mean they are back at their best. Likewise one bad game doesnt mean they are out of form either although you would think otherwise on here sometimes!

The problem with Alcaraz is his lack of pace. He can get away with it in 90% of the games but in the odd one or two he'll get exposed. Distin should play.

So because of 10% of games he will get caught out he's not first choice?

Distin has been reliable for years, even if he does make big mistakes. But I think Alcaraz reads the game better so it's a matter of who we play against I guess