IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

• 2 months later...

I've never seen him play there but Baines as a DM just baffled me. I don't see any of his quality's being suitable for the middle of the park.

Me neither, and I was equally as baffled. But, if the aim is to get him to play like Lahm, then I understand a bit better though I will miss seeing him on the over or under lap

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Would anyone else like to see Garbutt given a go as a winger? Vs Man City we had Hibbert and Coleman in tandem - killing off our attacking threat from the right as Tony hasn't got the legs and Coleman had no one to overlap as the winger. Garbutt looks pacy, confident on the ball, brilliant crosser and he can actually take a corner!!!

I fear we're going to lose him if we don't find a way to get him more game time. I think we'll regret it in future years if we don't make him fit now to eventually be Baines' successor.

Would anyone else like to see Garbutt given a go as a winger? Vs Man City we had Hibbert and Coleman in tandem - killing off our attacking threat from the right as Tony hasn't got the legs and Coleman had no one to overlap as the winger. Garbutt looks pacy, confident on the ball, brilliant crosser and he can actually take a corner!!!

I fear we're going to lose him if we don't find a way to get him more game time. I think we'll regret it in future years if we don't make him fit now to eventually be Baines' successor.

Personally I think he's fine the way we're using him now.

Wing did coleman no harm I guess..couple of years until age catches up with Leighton

Exactly... he's not getting in at left back but that's only because we've got arguably the best in the league, like you say for at least 2 more years. Garbutt looks a gem to me and with not much on his contact we need to get him in some way as he'll have plenty of options in the Prem alone.

He needs games but playing him left wing is going to hinder us. If we are short with injuries then maybe give it a go but otherwise he just has to bide his time and take the opportunities when he gets them.

Very good all round game tonight, a little naive at the back on occasions and could have picked a better pass here or there but at this stage of his first team career it was an excellent display.

Like c1982 said he's out of contract next summer so pissing him off would be a bad idea; he needs a new deal pronto. Then maybe loan him out to a top championship team.

Wasn't aware he was on such a short contract so that seems to be the next step and like you say we should get him tied down and loan him out. Even if it's for a season.... Like Coleman at Blackpool.

But we're not in the business of loaning players to direct opposition, so won't happen.

If the likes of Burnley and Crystal Palace are our direct competition then we've got bigger issues than Luke Garbutt.

Anyway, I like what I've seen from this guy. I think you also have to be careful. Playing well at home against some random team from Russia is not even close to being the same thing as playing him against a Theo Walcott or Alexis Sanchez. I'm all for Martinez given Baines a rest against some of the lower teams and giving Garbutt a few starts.