IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

Baines is still a quality player, anyone wanting rid is having a knee-jerk reaction. Luke has played a handful of games and looked great, no doubt. So many players have done that. However he has a lot to learn, like any young player.

That said, in my opinion he looks the real deal. So pay him and promise him the game time. He's worth an investment, but again it all depends on long term strategy. Triple his money, which can't be much and get him playing. 5yr deal, 25k a week would surpass anything we've offered a promising, unproven, young player at 21.

I rate Oviedo, but that goal against Utd, and probably his injury too, sold so many blue tinted Oviedo glasses it's insane.

Again, another quality player, but he's still not at Baines' level. That is largely down to the fact he's not been given the chance to prove himself, it's only ever been little run outs

I've a soft spot for him too, but can't help feel sentiment overwhelmes judgement here

Give Garbutt a go at Left Mid - his crossing is the best at the club.

This. We have noone on the left side at present, push him forward and use his deadly crosses as an attacking threat. We know he CAN defend, so he'll be happy to do the defensive work. Worked for Coleman, I think it'll be good for him.

Can you imagine a team who's fullback could 'switch' positions from LB to LM with a team mate and both still be effective in their new positions? It would be a tactical nightmare for the oppositions manager.

So you could have;

Oviedo at LM to start a game. Garbutt at LB to start a game. then at half time, swap them OR even halfway through halves. It would be awesome.

Can you imagine a team who's fullback could 'switch' positions from LB to LM with a team mate and both still be effective in their new positions? It would be a tactical nightmare for the oppositions manager.

So you could have;

Oviedo at LM to start a game. Garbutt at LB to start a game. then at half time, swap them OR even halfway through halves. It would be awesome.

I proposed something similar for 3/4 players in attack, constantly shifting around. Means no man marking is possible and would always make the opposition defence hesitant going forward too.

Its the next evolution in football, to be truly fluid people will have to be master of 2-3 trades.

I proposed something similar for 3/4 players in attack, constantly shifting around. Means no man marking is possible and would always make the opposition defence hesitant going forward too.

Its the next evolution in football, to be truly fluid people will have to be master of 2-3 trades.

Milner does it very well (not through choice) but always ends up more effective because noone knows who's marking him.

It's potentially an incredible system.

If he wants more money, it's in our hands, if he wants more money and a move away it's totaly out of our control.

He's been below my radar if I'm honest, don't know his age or how long left he has on his contract, but watching him against Young Boys I was thinking he will only improve with age and games, he can't have played much and already other than free kicks he doesn't seem that far behind Baines.

Tough one for Martinez, he knows more about them than we do, just do what's best for Everton long term.He (Martinez) after a lifetime in the game should have enough insight into just how good Garbutt could be, and likewise how long Baines may have left.Also if he really is the manager he thinks he is, just talking to the respective players would tell him where their hearts are.

Sadly when all said and done it may well come down to money.

It's imperative we keep him and has showed his potential in the European games.

As much as I love Baines I feel he is slightly on the wain and is not the attacking threat he was... plus he is into his 30's.

Whilst Garbutt has a way to go to reach the attacking threat of Baines in his pomp, he is in my opinion already a better defender and so highly rated at Finch Farm they believe he could play centre half too.

Edited by Sherpa

Whilst Garbutt has a way to go to reach the attacking threat of Baines in his pomp, he is in my opinion already a better defender and so highly rated at Finch Farm they believe he could play centre half too.

Don't tell Martinez...... He'll have him playing number 10 at Stoke with Mirallas right back and Coleman in goal