IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

We only need 3 players. More importantly we need to keep what we have.

We don't need a new goalkeeper.

We do need more cover at eight back and centre back...depending on the boys coming through.

We need another attacking option.

I would be happy with three decent signings and only the old guys with no legs leaving.

I don't think we have any money. It's going to be a summer looking for loans and free transfers to fill the 2 or 3 I think.

Considering there's the massive increase in TV revenue coming, and that we've sensibly halved our debt with the last deal, I strongly doubt we'll have no money.

I've mentioned before, I expect us to have around 25m-30m before player sales. It's just a matter of being clever with spending.

Edited by Matt

All the mention of the TV money. It will all be sucked up by higher wages, signing on fees and agent fee's.

Thats what everyone says, but it can't be increased dramatically if FFP has to be adhered to. There will be some increase, but not to the point that it eats up our transfer budget.

I read an article yesterday that was concerning. I can't find the specific link but Martinez was talking about how he can't prevent anyone leaving if they really want to. At the end of the article there were a few lines from Martinez commenting about Garbutt's situation and he was saying that while he wants him to stay that he is prepared for him to leave and that we'll got compensation.

That would make a lot of sense.

You not heard anything more since you said you'd been told he'd be re-signing for us?

Hell, I'd love to get him on a new contract and then loan him to Bournemouth or another premier league side that could offer him time.

how much do we get in arbitration if he leaves? 500k?

It's an unusual situation so it's hard to know; but I think if Bournemouth (or anyone) came in with a bid to avoid it going that far it'd be likely be more than that; £2m maybe but that's just a guess. He's represented England at every level so he's an obvious prospect.

At least if he goes pre-arbitration we can get a sell-on clause in the deal; because he's going to be worth much more in the future.

It's an unusual situation so it's hard to know; but I think if Bournemouth (or anyone) came in with a bid to avoid it going that far it'd be likely be more than that; £2m maybe but that's just a guess. He's represented England at every level so he's an obvious prospect.

At least if he goes pre-arbitration we can get a sell-on clause in the deal; because he's going to be worth much more in the future.

terrible situation but better than nothing should he have his mind made up to leave, at least we get something.

I've been talking about him on here for years so I'm going to be absolutely gutted when he signs for another club.

I'd gladly sacrifice a year or two more of Baines somewhere near his best to have Garbutt as first choice at a slightly lesser level in order to have him progress into as good a player as Baines in the not too distant future.

I've been talking about him on here for years so I'm going to be absolutely gutted when he signs for another club.

I'd gladly sacrifice a year or two more of Baines somewhere near his best to have Garbutt as first choice at a slightly lesser level in order to have him progress into as good a player as Baines in the not too distant future.

I wouldn't disagree with a word of that.

Said some time ago (as others did) that if we have to lose a left back this summer Baines, though I've loved his time here, would be my first choice. He'd bring in serious money and we've got the cover and the potential.

As things are though from Garbutt's point of view you can understand him thinking about leaving. He's got England's first choice left back, who is very rarely injured, ahead of him and he wants to play football. He's no kid at twenty-one so he doesn't want to sit on the bench for another two/three years waiting for a chance.

Love it if he signed a new contract and then went out on loan myself, as has been said above. But I fear he's on the way out.

That's what should happen. Offer the lad a good contract, sit him down tell him Baines is on the decline and you see him as first choice left back at Everton for the next 10 years. Put him on loan to Bournmouth for a season bring him back next year and give him game time.

I know giving him a big contract will cost the club but how much could it save us in the future when we have to replace baines?

Unless there's another kid ready to break through.

Garbutt done what he's doing to us with Leeds though so maybe he's just that type of player.

That's what should happen. Offer the lad a good contract, sit him down tell him Baines is on the decline and you see him as first choice left back at Everton for the next 10 years. Put him on loan to Bournmouth for a season bring him back next year and give him game time.

I know giving him a big contract will cost the club but how much could it save us in the future when we have to replace baines?

Unless there's another kid ready to break through.

Garbutt done what he's doing to us with Leeds though so maybe he's just that type of player.

I dont think he owes us that much loyalty. We can all see that theres a player there, like its been said, we should have bumped his contract up to around the 30k mark, loaned him out - even if we only charged 15k a week on his wages its worth it in my eyes. He's going to be class.

Really hope that we can talk him into signing then sending him out on loan

Wonder if the extra games Europa League would bring might influence his decision?

That's the exact same article (from a different source) that Mark posted one thread up dunc :).

RM's comment here about Garbutt on Saturday is somewhere between perplexing and irritating. Is there any way to read the phrase "too early to tell" other than that Garbutt might somehow not start Saturday?

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/05/14/baines-to-miss-final-two-games

Is he planning to move Barry to LB? Besic? Alcaraz? How about Barkley? Or Naismith, Kone? Wait, maybe Distin's back!