IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

Hmm

Was just reporting a fact. I have no opinion either way.

sorry stevO but garbutt isn't in the same class as baines and never will be.

Baines is good enough for at least 3 more seasons.

Seemed to me tonight; the occasional crosses he put in he kept his head down and hoped someone would get on the end of it rather than getting his head up and targeting someone. Was a bit disappointed.

Having said that I think he has potential and hope he stays.

So Patto, from a handful of games you can see the ability this player will have for the rest of his career? And that won't be as good as a player who hit his peak at about six years older than the other one?

Did you see Baines at 21 playing for Wigan and know he would go on to be as good as he turned out? If you did, maybe you could have told Moyes that when. He struggled to get in ahead of Lescott.

You should be involved at elite level sport with your magical insight.

Maybe I'm being a prick reacting like this, but you don't have the slightest clue just how good this lad could be. Not every player hits their peak at 21, ask Leighton, he will certainly agree.

Although he may turn out to be as good..my opinion is that he isn't anywhere bear the class of Baines another moment.

I watched him so many times from.when he joined and other than his mini spell last season, he hasn't looked anything other than average.

Though I do like the way he whips balls in with pace.

Thos isn't to say he won't turn out to be as good.

So Patto, from a handful of games you can see the ability this player will have for the rest of his career? And that won't be as good as a player who hit his peak at about six years older than the other one?

Did you see Baines at 21 playing for Wigan and know he would go on to be as good as he turned out? If you did, maybe you could have told Moyes that when. He struggled to get in ahead of Lescott.

You should be involved at elite level sport with your magical insight.

Maybe I'm being a prick reacting like this, but you don't have the slightest clue just how good this lad could be. Not every player hits their peak at 21, ask Leighton, he will certainly agree.

It is an ongoing debate, this ability to see the future of kids development. To be fair, its not usually Patto (though he called me out on Junior, seems he was dead right there).

Some have a gut feeling and go with it. I tend to be a bit more patient than that, but I can understand the jumping to conclusions.

pad what worries me is if he doesn't do well,by all accounts we are offering him a 5 year contract for me it's too long.

I see what you're saying mate but if he isn't cutting it we'll sell him for 5 million or so so we should get our money back either way on him.

If we're really being smart, we may get him to signhoping he really impresses at Bournmouth next season and if he helps keep them up we may get stupid money off them.

If this deal comes off it makes me feel happy about the way we're going. We just don't have the squad or money to be able to afford to loan our players to other prem teams. This (if it happens) means we're moving in the right direction. 99% of our loans are to lower league teams.

Edited by Paddock

pad I think the staff are not sure about garbutt hence it was touch and go if he stayed personally I would take the compensation and move on I think we have some decent kids coming through.

I don't know enough about the kids coming through to agree or disagree with you on that mate.

Time will tell I suppose. I think we can both agree that we hope he siigns and kicks on and replaces Baines at the same level..

I was over the top last night Patto. Sorry. Had a bad day in work and your post wound me up.

I always think about Bale at Spurs when I see a young prospect, one minute he's a crap left back struggling to play, then next he's a winger being signed for Real. I hope Luke goes that way, rather than the more often travelled road of failure.

I hope Garbutt is able to go to a team like Bournemouth who can play from the back and use their wingbacks pace and skill to deliver in crosses. That is one area of LG's game that i comparable to Bainsey...ability to whip a ball in to the box with pace. Now if only we had a striker with some presence in the box :/

When was the last time Everton loaned a player to another PL club? Everton sure likes to from Chelsea. I am vaguely aware that Everton sends some of their U-21 player on loan to championship clubs, but to a PL club? GREAT! Garbutt deserves a shot at a starting spot in the PL. Lets see if he stays afloat.

I agree a five year contract is quite long. In this day and age though, you give a half decent prospect a two year deal and he'll go somewhere else. Then it becomes a game of risk, do you put the five years on the table and hope he makes it, or let him go and hope you don't regret the decision. I wouldn't like to be making them calls. Actually, I would for the money managers are on.

Chuffed on this one! Shows that the coaches and Management rates him as well if he's had a 5 year deal. Ideally I want him to go on loan now so that he can actually play next season rather than be frustrated being behind Baines and possibly Oviedo in the pecking order. Well done Luke!

So excellent that it's 5 years. If he doesn't turn himself into our indisputable next LB, he's not likely to regress either. We will still get a good deal out of this. This is also the best thing for his career, and I'm happy he's seemingly screwed his head on straight.

I must be the only one not overjoyed about this I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a top player.

Same age as some of our supposed superstars in development.

Got the best left peg I've seen on a young lad, great control, good athlete. What's there not to be happy about?

In open market he's a £6m plus player with £20m plus potential.

to me he's our 3rd left back and 5yrs is too long.

If he goes on loan that's his best option.

Oviedo hasn't proven his fitness as yet, so I wouldn't have him ahead of Garbutt.

5 years covers the club - it means we don't have to do the same dance in a year or two, we can still get good money for him if we decide to cash in, and it also shows a commitment from the club to Luke (i.e. we rate you highly).