IGNORED

Crystal Palace (home)

Matt

Guest blueboy122

The transformation of Palace since Pulis took over has been dramatic!

I though they were doomed to be honest but it looks as if they are going to stay up!

I expect a difficult game for us but hopefully we can score nice an early relieve a it of tension.

Absolutely need to be on our game.

If we play like we did vs spurs (but actually find the net!!!), we should be ok agsinst what will be a well organised battle ready team.

I've got a good feeling about this one. I think we have been jabbing away and are just about to throw a mega hook!

Not going to be easy at all. Seems that right now we have 3 regular starters who are only good for max 45-60 minutes (Naismith, Osman, Pienaar). That means that we either start with them and hope for the early goal, failing which they're withdrawn and we seem to lose momentum, or we hold one or two in reserve. Question is who do we start in their place?

Vellios will never see the light of day so long as we have any other eligible palyers, pretty sure Hibbo would go up front before he got on now. Traore not yet fit and neither is Lukaku. Means that we'll have Naismith up front to start. He has shown some decent form of late, but he is not a focal point, and I think he'll be especially shown up against a team sitting back with 10 men behind the ball.

We need Pienaar to link with Baines, so for all his mediocre displays of late he has to start for me.

That leaves Osman who has to start on the bench, we're going to need someone who can offer a threat from distance, and in the middle of the park that means Barkley. I understand the complaints about his last two performance, but I think at home against Palace is the perfect time to give him a platform. Naismith has shown enough of an ability to link up that Barkley can play off, Mirallas will offer a threat on the right and Pienaar/Baines will draw extra midfield cover.

I can see Palace trying to shut down our distribution through Barry/McCarthy so I see a gap between their CBs and midfilers. We need to exploit that space to pull them out of shape and it's got to be Barkley stepping up to do the job.

Sadly, can't see us keeping a clean sheet at the moment, so it's going to need at least 2 goals. Palace have become stingy so this will be a battle. 3-1 for me.

Edited by chicagoblue

Whatever team Pulis puts out tomorrow, one thing for certain is that they arent going to be as good defensively as they were when we played them last time. That was the best defensive display I have seen from any team against us this season and whilst we didnt test them as much as we could have, it was their work rate and organisation that caused that. Given their recent form, they will offer more threat and hopefully they come here confident and show ambition, because if they do, we will create opportunities.

Onto the starting line-up, I disagree with Chicagoblue above because I think Naismith is the best striker we have at the moment up against compact sides. Just look at his impact against Villa, who showed absolutely no ambition. His movement is excellent and he is always looking to move the defenders around. He needs to be more ruthless IMO because on a couple of occasions last week he had an excellent scoring chance but passed it away (and lost the ball!). Traore is meant to be match fit, just not fully integrated into the Martinez way so I would be surprised if he starts, but I do expect him to get some game time this week.

The back 5 pick themselves, although I hope that the CB's dont switch off like they did against Spurs.

Barry and McCarthy will hold the midfield, although we really do need to see them both up their intensity a little. We need them to get the ball moving quicker and McCarthy in particular keep getting forward when the opportunity arises. Either that, or we need to get Barkley involved from deeper playing just ahead of the other two, rather than off the striker. It would be harsh to drop Osman, because he was good last week but as long as Barkley is fully fit (which he hasnt proven yet) then its a no brainer for me.

Im not sure Pienaar deserves as much criticism as he got last week, because I thought he played a large part in what was good about our display against Spurs and him and Mirallas would definitely be my chosen wingers with Deulofeu and McGeady coming from the bench if needed.

No matter who starts, we need to press them aggressively, get the ball back early and take our chances. Pretty much the same as every other game! :)

MET office say it's going to be a red warning (severe) for wind (37 mph), and heavy rain. There's a chance it could be cancelled.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/everton-fc-merseyside#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1392163200&map=Rainfall

At the moment Everton say its going ahead.

Will have to keep my eye on any announcements.

I don't want to seem precious but Everton should know more than any clubs about the danger of having matches in bad weather.

There was an Everton fan who died while going to the Leicester City game in 2004 (the one where Duncan grabbed Freund by the neck) after wind blew an advertising hoarding off a nearby building and into Evertonians walking to the game. That image of Duncan and Freund always reminds me of it, because the man left behind a son who's the same age as me.

Closure on A59 at the junction of Scotland Rd and Hankin Rd due to a building collapse, which may affect travel to game from tunnels. #EFC

with 37mph winds?!

Its horrendous out there at the moment, my car just nearlt got taken out by the roof of a bus stop that had just been blown off

bloody Nora!

Everyone traveling tonight, safe trip!