IGNORED

Stadium thread: Reprise edition

Louis

January 2014, Robert Elstone says chances are 2/3 out of ten of Everton moving to a new stadium

Q: New Stadium. On a scale of one to ten, one being the least likely, what would you say is the current likelihood?

A: It's a two or a three, but maybe that's me being cautious. I think it's important to manage expectations. If it was easy, we'd be on with it. There are a couple of options, one of which we are dedicating a lot of time to, to see if it is feasible and if a funding solution is starting to take shape. And, whilst there are still some challenges, we wouldn't be making the time commitment if we didn't think it was worth pursuing.

http://www.bluekipper.com/fans/mickey_blue_eyes-41/b7052-interview_with_robert_elstone.html

February 2014, Terry Leahy, Tesco's former CEO speaks to the Liverpool Echo. He says investors aren't interested because the club is seen as the "number two club in the city".

"The club have been working quietly behind the scenes and are making a bit of progress on sites in the city, and they are putting together the financial jigsaw needed to complete the move."

They [investors] worry about Everton being what from the outside world would appear as the number two club in the city, Sir Terry said.

"And then they look at the ground and see that will need new investments.

So all those things together - the fact that its hard anyway and the fact that there are some special challenges with Everton - make it more difficult.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-making-progress-hunt-6734590

• 1 month later...

What a difference between Britain and the US. Reading that article, the mayor suggested that Everton had offered something to him. In the US, the city would be offering hundreds of millions to the team! This is because of all the additional revenue the city will see as a result of the new stadium - more fans paying more taxes on goods, more fans from other teams staying locally, more taxes from local businesses that thrive when the team thrives, and so on. Why should Everton have to foot the bill for the stadium? The city should be paying for most of it. Where's the spirit of entrepreneurship?

What a difference between Britain and the US. Reading that article, the mayor suggested that Everton had offered something to him. In the US, the city would be offering hundreds of millions to the team! This is because of all the additional revenue the city will see as a result of the new stadium - more fans paying more taxes on goods, more fans from other teams staying locally, more taxes from local businesses that thrive when the team thrives, and so on. Why should Everton have to foot the bill for the stadium? The city should be paying for most of it. Where's the spirit of entrepreneurship?

Council budgets, particularly the Merseyside area, have been massively slashed. I doubt they have much scope to splurge £150m on building us a stadium while they're cutting back on public spending!

More from Joe Anderson

“We are having positive discussions and I think that within a matter of a few months we will have some announcement to make – and I’m sure that will be before the start of the new season.

“There are still one or two sites we are working through. We are supporting them as much as we can and we are meeting more or less on a weekly basis.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everton-fc-stadium-announcement-within-6982672

• 2 weeks later...

Thing that got my eye was the last paragraph:

Unaudited figures for the current financial year forecast a turnover of £117m compared to £86m in 2012/13, with wages falling to 55% of turnover compared to a Premier League average of 72%, and predict that net liabilities will drop from £42.7m in 2012/13 to £12.9m in 2013/14.

Sound much healthier, right?

I love Goodison and have been going there for over 45 years but it's time to leave and has been for quite a while, now. Two reasons:

1. Finances and attracting investment, etc...

2. Before something really bad happens during a game. I was in Upper Bullens, block 4, which is almost as far away as you can get from where the away fans are but in the same stand for those who don't know, for the game against Zenit when the Russian loons were bouncing up and down, singing their heads off. The whole stand was moving, swaying and it wasn't built to do that. The panic on peoples faces, standing up shouting at them to sit down/stop, resulted in an announcement in Russian, loud cheering from Zenit, more frenzied bouncing, followed by it stopping after stewards and police moved in. I don't want Goodison to be remembered for falling down because if it did that's all people would remember it for. It deserves better than that and so do we. As we move into European competition over the next and coming seasons we'll see more 'bouncing'. It's already creeping in to our own (Premier League) fans match day routine but, thankfully, not all who do it currently sell their allocation and so they don't make it up to the top tier. Might be nothing and I hope it is for all the right reasons apart from just tarnished memories.

Everything has its day and 120+ years in the same modified house is enough for anyone. Time to move on and start making history in new surroundings for future generations of barking mad Evertonians. The memories from Goodison will still be talked about after we have moved, same as they are now. Let future generations make and have their own. It's high time anyway for the snot-nosed kids of today to start doing something for themselves and make an effort instead of hanging on the coat-tails of their parents and forefathers.

This article is very similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/everton/10796705/Everton-want-to-follow-Manchester-City-model-in-hunt-for-new-50000-seat-stadium-in-Liverpool.html

Apparently the Telegraph published their story before it was even mentioned at the AGM.

The official release: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/04/29/stadium-update

The Telegraph Sport today states that Everton are considering becoming tenants in a new Liverpool City Council owned 50,000-seat stadium. The location in understood to be Walton Hall Park.

Reeeeeaaaally?

Retweeted by ToffeeTalk.com

NEWS: Liverpool council stresses it is "clearly not in a position to fund the costs of a new stadium" for #Everton FC. More at 1 on 95.8fm

Erm.....so what happens to the stuff Suntan told at the AGM?

Don't tell me it was just hot hair from Elstone? I am SO surprised :o

Retweeted by ToffeeTalk.com

NEWS: Liverpool council stresses it is "clearly not in a position to fund the costs of a new stadium" for #Everton FC. More at 1 on 95.8fm

Erm.....so what happens to the stuff Suntan told at the AGM?

he did say LCC should be primary sponsor, not all of the costs. regardless, its not surprising!