IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

If Martinez sees that Cleverley can improve our team then I trust him.

Cleverley could be the victim of scape goating and invariably becoming the boo boy who those with a less trained eye can appreciate.

Personally I haven't much to get excited about, but I recall a couple of years back thinking that he looked a player. I remember united fans being gutted when he got injured against Bolton after a Kevin Davies tackle. He was in very good form at that time.

I don't think he's progressed in the last couple of seasons, which is why we don't rate him, but then he's never been a regular and none of their players have impressed this season. I don't see him as an alternative to Barry as they're quite different players.

What is really interesting from the article Louis posted above is the reference to his loan at Wigan, "when he tended to play on the left of an attacking trio behind a main striker, as opposed to in central midfield...". Sounds like Martinez would view him as a rotation/replacement for Pienaar.

He's in the same position Jordan Henderson was in a year or so ago. If we thought we were going to get him after his first 2 years at Liverpool the place would have melted down.... you would take him now though...

A bit of confidence, not being managed by Moyes, not being coached by Phil Neville and Steve Round could see a crackin player...

He's in his mid 20's and still doesn't have a definitive position to actually see if he can cut it or not. Seem to remember a couple of games in the Olympics where him, Ramsey and Allen linked up well, pretty sure after that he was being touted as a number 10. Then at other times he's been touted as the new Scholes. For £8m I'm dubious to say the least! If it's true he has one year left on his contract, then somewhere between 2 and 4 mil and I'll trust Roberto's judgment.

This is all assuming of course that these stories are actually true. It might be made up bollocks simply because he praised him / rated him when he was on loan at Wigan.

He's in the same position Jordan Henderson was in a year or so ago. If we thought we were going to get him after his first 2 years at Liverpool the place would have melted down.... you would take him now though...

A bit of confidence, not being managed by Moyes, not being coached by Phil Neville and Steve Round could see a crackin player...

Don't be a douche. He was also managed by Hodgson and Ferguson and was no better.

From the way Roberto spoke up for him last month when he was getting stick from England fans, you'd have to say he's a fan of the lad:

"There are only a few players in this country who have had the sort of education where they look as if they could have been brought up in Holland, Spain or France," he said. "Tom is one of them. I just don't understand this campaign, it is not the way to encourage young players.

"Maybe he has been given a bigger role than he should have been given but even so it is ridiculous to put someone so young in the spotlight then knock him down. We as a public are to blame if we allow that to happen. You have to help young players reach a level.

"What has happened is not Tom's fault, I think he is as good a talent as we have in the English game, and he is still growing. You wouldn't get this in other countries, and I find it disappointing that he is being judged so aggressively when he has not even reached 200 games. Such a young player does not need that sort of scrutiny or pressure, but I am sure he will

come through it and be even more motivated."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/roberto-martinez-tom-cleverley-england

Some interesting comments from RM about Cleverley in this older article too, when he talks about him growing into a more central midfield role:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-tom-cleverleys-rise-1322569

Edited by efc1111

Don't be a douche. He was also managed by Hodgson and Ferguson and was no better.

Cleverley under Ferguson knew his role. Under Moyes he was left out to dry, in fact I don't think many united players knew their role under Moyes.

Roy Hodgson? I wouldn't wish him on any player who wants to be managed well.

He reminds me a bit of Ramsey from last season. He did a lot of work on the ball, playing nice passes, always looking to move around the pitch and get on the ball but then lacked that final pass or finish and he even lost the ball cheaply at the other end of the pitch and gave the ball away in bad positions too. Ramsey has come back this season and turned a huge corner. I dont know what happened or what really clicked during the summer but he has added that clinicism and confidence he lacked previously and I think Cleverley is the same. He is a good passer, he links play well, he reads the game well, he finds space and gets into good areas but couldnt finish off his good work (which was typified in one England game where he did everything but score). From there on his confidence has gone and recently we have seen a player scared to get on the ball and afraid to make things happen.

If Martinez could get his confidence up and get him enjoying his football again, which I have no doubt that he could, then even £8mil could be a snip because after one good season his value would easily double. On the other hand, you could end up with a player that cant rekindle that fire and burns an £8mil hole in your pocket which is something we cant afford.

I saw him playing as a winger forward drifting inside, and I did not fancy him at that position in Wigan, but the potential was there.

I hope he can develop into a quicker Osman, a smart player, that can link well with the wingers and combines well. He got a lot of stick but it's also true that Man Utd has not had central midfielders (Carrick aside) for the last two years. He can't dictate the play like McCarthy, he's not a central defensive midfielder, but in the three forward positions he could do a job and he should be much better than what we saw during his time at United.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/22/everton-plot-6million-raid-for-manchester-uniteds-tom-cleverley-4705112/

After spending the last two transfer windows fending off Manchester United’s interest in their players, Everton are ready to hit back by trying to sign a Red Devils star this summer.

Toffees boss Roberto Martinez is already planning for life next season – and United midfielder Tom Cleverley has emerged as a crucial transfer target.

Martinez is said to be keen on adding young, hungry players to his squad and he is ready to make a £6million bid for Cleverley.

United would ideally like to hang on to the youngster, who is a product of their academy, but he does not have a good reputation among fans and that could influence the decision to sell.

Everton are also thought to be keen on United full-back Alexander Buttner, but no bid is being planned for his services.

Don't ask me why i'm even saying this as i'm not a big fan of Cleverly but a part of me would like to sign him but Buttner is poor always seemed like a headless chicken from the little I've seen from him he has no pace or positional awareness and with Oviedo hopefully ready to come back next season i'd see it as a pretty fruitless move.

If Martinez sees that Cleverley can improve our team then I trust him.

Cleverley could be the victim of scape goating and invariably becoming the boo boy who those with a less trained eye can appreciate.

Personally I haven't much to get excited about, but I recall a couple of years back thinking that he looked a player. I remember united fans being gutted when he got injured against Bolton after a Kevin Davies tackle. He was in very good form at that time.

This. Martinez raved about him when he was at Wigan, whos to say he couldnt get the best out of him again? Hes also nowhere near as bad as some are making out, and at 24 hes still young enough to flourish, with the correct guidance.

8m is definitely too much but if the price was max. 4m Id be happy to take him on.

It used to piss me off when we'd be linked with players and you'd have people going "in Moyes we trust" blah fucking blah. Now we have it with Martinez as well.

Manager's make mistakes. All of them. Even the brown shoe wearing Martinez.

he does make mistakes. but, considering hes coached Cleverley during the lads best spell, Im trusting him here.

I'd have him. Good passer, good range on his passing and able to play in tighter spaces. I like his body type as well, agile, low center of gravity. Martinez has already worked with him as well so he could vouch for his character. Could play the 8, but also cover at 6, 10 or even 11.

It used to piss me off when we'd be linked with players and you'd have people going "in Moyes we trust" blah fucking blah. Now we have it with Martinez as well.

Manager's make mistakes. All of them. Even the brown shoe wearing Martinez.

Depends whether you did trust in Moyes - for me seeing square pegs and round holes led to a lack of trust. Moyes tried to sign Robbie Savage.... that says it all really.

Martinez at least for me identifies players based on "technical" abilities and the understanding to play his system - if he thinks Cleverly is that man then I have no issues with that. Many seen Barry as a bad signing, Martinez knew otherwise, many thought McCarthy was over priced and over rated - Martinez showed that he knows his players.

I have more reason to trust Martinez on his judgement of a player than fans - fans can pick up on vibes and blow them out of proportion. If fans were more accurate than players, then the likes of Henderson and Lucas Leiva would be sold for £50 and playing for Accrinbgton Stanley.

Depends whether you did trust in Moyes - for me seeing square pegs and round holes led to a lack of trust. Moyes tried to sign Robbie Savage.... that says it all really.

Martinez at least for me identifies players based on "technical" abilities and the understanding to play his system - if he thinks Cleverly is that man then I have no issues with that. Many seen Barry as a bad signing, Martinez knew otherwise, many thought McCarthy was over priced and over rated - Martinez showed that he knows his players.

I have more reason to trust Martinez on his judgement of a player than fans - fans can pick up on vibes and blow them out of proportion. If fans were more accurate than players, then the likes of Henderson and Lucas Leiva would be sold for £50 and playing for Accrinbgton Stanley.

what bullshit. Moyes signed great players, or players with great potential.

what bullshit. Moyes signed great players, or players with great potential.

Not all of his signings were great. Moyes can't be criticised for his transfer dealings on the whole as he signed some class players - but unfortunately with some I just could not see what he was doing. Robbie Savage - and he turned us down.

Not all of his signings were great. Moyes can't be criticised for his transfer dealings on the whole as he signed some class players - but unfortunately with some I just could not see what he was doing. Robbie Savage - and he turned us down.

I wasnt saying that. You seemed to be making a point that because he went for Savage we should judge him on that. Apologies if I misunderstood.

I wasnt saying that. You seemed to be making a point that because he went for Savage we should judge him on that. Apologies if I misunderstood.

No, it was that I found it difficult to trust Moyes with his transfers after he went for Savage - he was one of his earlier targets and to be honest around the time we signed Richard Wright.