IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Mark - it's not just creativity. Its players of the 'next' technical level. Players who aren't just average but game changers. Like if Mirallas, Barkley had consistency, if Barry had pace, if McCarthy had goalscoring credentials, Lukaku had a decent 'touch'. We need more than Cleverley, we need players like Dybala, Firmino, Meyer...pricey but worthy next level players.

You can stop fantasizing about those players. They will not become Everton players unless we qualify for CL and even then we probably couldn't afford them.

I think he would be a very useful player and I really hope we sign him for the following reasons:

1) Has worked with Martinez, believes his footballing philosophy, and Martinez can get the best out of him.

2) Has good technical skills, ball control passing etc, and his footballing brain is well developed. He can play a quick passing game and is mobile.

3) Is still relatively young, and on a free.

4) Will be a good long term replacement for Ossie.

5) Villa fans who have seen him up close this season rate him highly, and before every one says they have a shit team, they do have Delph to compare him to, and Delph is a fine player.

He can't get a regular place in that Villa side though which speaks volumes to me.

He's not what we need or of the calibre to push us on.

No transfer is ever free he will command a hefty signing on fee and so will his agent, wages etc.

when players sign new contracts they get a signing on fee - will he push us on? not necessarily but he is definately someone who will strengthen the squad.

he will cost £2.5m a year approx in wages, he is a potential £10m asset for free. That is what he will add to the value of the club.

If I'm not mistaken Cleverley has played more games than any other outfield player at Villa (32) this season.

Villa fans have gone from hating him to loving him.

I said ages ago that you don't go from being the player that makes SAF decide against buying wesley sneider to being a complete scapegoat unless something has gone wrong with the players confidence, he was treated disgracefully and a bit of TLC has had him back performing at a level that got him into the England set up.

Some players will always be a victim of reputation and I think he is one of them.

He can't get a regular place in that Villa side though which speaks volumes to me.

He's not what we need or of the calibre to push us on.

No transfer is ever free he will command a hefty signing on fee and so will his agent, wages etc.

Not sure what Villa side you are watching mate...Cleverley has more appearances for Aston Villa this season (32) than anyone else (except Guzan). More like hes keeping other players out the side...no?

On that note, for a "free" I think he is worth getting. Not a flashy or "sexy" transfer target, but we could use some help in the midfield, and Barry/Osman keep getting older and slower and Gibson is more fragile than a glass vase.

Not sure what Villa side you are watching mate...Cleverley has more appearances for Aston Villa this season (32) than anyone else (except Guzan). More like hes keeping other players out the side...no?

On that note, for a "free" I think he is worth getting. Not a flashy or "sexy" transfer target, but we could use some help in the midfield, and Barry/Osman keep getting older and slower and Gibson is more fragile than a glass vase.

He only joined them in January you sure you have that right?

And I'm watching the same Aston Villa where he was on the bench for a long period of time.

Coming off the bench to make am appearance means he's not getting a regular place in a relegation threatened team.

vs ManC: started

vs Liverpool (cup): started

vs Spurs: started

vs QPR: started

vs ManU: not in the squad

vs Swansea: started

vs Sunderland: started

vs WBA (cup): started

vs WBA: started

That's up til beginning of March. He was injured against Swansea and therefore missed the ManU game. Otherwise he started every game so how doesn't he have a regular place? The only game he wasn't a starter under Sherwood except for that ManU game was Sherwood's first game in charge.

He only joined them in January you sure you have that right?

And I'm watching the same Aston Villa where he was on the bench for a long period of time.

Coming off the bench to make am appearance means he's not getting a regular place in a relegation threatened team.

There has been one match all season (out of his 32 appearances for Aston Villa and one appearance for Man U) where he has come on as a second half substitute. Otherwise, he has been a guaranteed starter pretty much since he arrived in August.

Personally I'm made up for the lad. Regardless of whether he comes to us or not he has been on a great journey this year.

The attitude and arrogance of the mancs is something to behold. Any player that isn't the next scholes, beckham or giggs gets slated and is on a hiding to nothing. He has been labelled and slated without any real understanding that he has pretty much been bullied.

Look at how they behaved after we beat them, its because falcao isn't good enough or valencia is rubbish. Nothing to do with the fact that Stones and Jags kept the likes of felli, rooney and falcao quiet.

I hope Cleverley goes on to have a solid career, I watched him against Man City and he was very good. Proper team player, doesn't do anything fancy, nice and simple and hard working. Not amazing at anything just very good at most things, the ideal balance for a midfielder.

I thought he went in Jan I was obviously mistaken. I work with a Villa fan he told me he's not getting in the side and he's shite in Villa fans eyes .

What little I've seen of Villa I've not seen him playing maybe that's how bad he is?

MC you're right I don't have a clue about Villa, I don't support them so not really up to speed on themand I don't google stuff before I post ;)

I don't think he has anything that we haven't already got

we are full of hard working midfielders we don't need another one even on a free

he would still take up a big salary we could use better else were.

Like glass knees, or ageing legs?

Gibson, Barry and Osman are earning approx £150k+ a week with time ticking on their careers.

This is an £8m -£15m footballer who will cost nothing. An absolute no Brainer unless you think we've got a stack of money in reserve waiting to buy the next big thing.

Like glass knees, or ageing legs?

Gibson, Barry and Osman are earning approx £150k+ a week with time ticking on their careers.

This is an £8m -£15m footballer who will cost nothing. An absolute no Brainer unless you think we've got a stack of money in reserve waiting to buy the next big thing.

I get your point when you put it like that im just not a fan of his as you can guess

we still need a midfielder who can pass a ball and tom does not come into that category.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting reading the comments below. Seems he has turned opinions on there head.

Now he is playing well it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Personally I think it would be a no brainer for us.

Tidy on the ball and could easily replace Barry....though I would rather see Besic step in.

I'd rather he sign for Villa and we play Ross in Barry's spot. He need to be played further back and then the ACM creative player we hopefully sign will play where ross was.

Besic should be playing in Barry's position, Barkley should be sold for as much as we can get cos he'll never be the player we thought he was going to be.

Cleverley said he wanted to come to Everton but this was when they were playing negative football under Lambert. With Sherwood he looks a completely different player, looks decent, quick on the ball, confident and not afraid to put a tackle in. This is what Sherwood seems to be able to do is get players confidence up again. It happened with Adebayor at Spurs. I think Cleverley under Sherwood will sign a contract with Villa.

Cleverley said he wanted to come to Everton but this was when they were playing negative football under Lambert. With Sherwood he looks a completely different player, looks decent, quick on the ball, confident and not afraid to put a tackle in. This is what Sherwood seems to be able to do is get players confidence up again. It happened with Adebayor at Spurs. I think Cleverley under Sherwood will sign a contract with Villa.

Cleverley does look a lot better under Sherwood. I'd take him if he could carry over that ability to us.

I thought about the Adebayor thing earlier, too. They seemed to get along really well, which is surprising in any case regarding him.

spot on, Sherwood really seems to be able to motivate players and get the best out of them. His tactics may be suspect, but you can't fault him on heart and grit.