IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

All I'll say is its amazing what the right manager and good loyal fans can do for a player. I don't think cleverley is shite because of ability, or because of being weak. He's the fall guy for United's midfield. He's on a hiding to nothing. If he had a good game their lot would be loathe to give him credit.

He's had a bad season, but imo a lot of that is due to United's shape under Moyes. They don't have enough lines and they're too far apart. Then there's the fact that they really often only have 2 central midfielders. He's at his best playing short pass and move football, but United's shape means there are few options other than going long and crossing.

I remember he looked incredibly promising when he was first starting at United and was partnered with Anderson. Around the time they beat Arsenal 8-2 and demolished Spurs as well I think. I've seen him play well plenty of times last season as well. Rather than saying he's overrated because he plays for United, I'd say he's underrated because he plays for United yet isn't a world class star. He isn't going to score 10 goals a season or get 10 assists or anything, but he's a clever, technically gifted player that can build play up through the middle.

As long as he is not played as a DM, he'll be fine in Everton. He is a 7/10 in multiple aspects (passing, vision, movement, agility, etc.), I feel he can combine well in the forward slots like Pienaar or play the Osman/Barkley role.

When he was playing for Wigan he was quite dynamic and astute.

Somehow I feel he suddenly stopped his development in Manchester due to many circumstances (played out of position, increased expectations, England call-up, media hype, etc.) and he's in a crossroad at the moment. If he carries on playing for a good manager, in his position, with fans not booing him and he rediscovers his confidence, he can continue developing into a good player. If he stays, collects the check and keeps playing CM, he'll fail miserably.

He'll not be cheap (I hope 8 million and I see that a fair price). He's not at his best, but he's a full England international, he's 24, experienced already in the top flight and without a horrible injury record.

As long as he is not played as a DM, he'll be fine in Everton. He is a 7/10 in multiple aspects (passing, vision, movement, agility, etc.), I feel he can combine well in the forward slots like Pienaar or play the Osman/Barkley role.

When he was playing for Wigan he was quite dynamic and astute.

Somehow I feel he suddenly stopped his development in Manchester due to many circumstances (played out of position, increased expectations, England call-up, media hype, etc.) and he's in a crossroad at the moment. If he carries on playing for a good manager, in his position, with fans not booing him and he rediscovers his confidence, he can continue developing into a good player. If he stays, collects the check and keeps playing CM, he'll fail miserably.

He'll not be cheap (I hope 8 million and I see that a fair price). He's not at his best, but he's a full England international, he's 24, experienced already in the top flight and without a horrible injury record.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna come in primarily as part of the double pivot. Don't think he's gonna play on the left, unless we're dealing with injury trouble, as Martinez himself said he's better in the middle in one of those articles linked in here from in their Wigan days. And he hasn't got the shot on him among other things to be a starting 10. Imo he's pretty clearly an 8 to be paired with a 6 (either McCarthy or Barry).

Edited by Steve_E

I'm pretty sure he's gonna come in primarily as part of the double pivot. Don't think he's gonna play on the left, unless we're dealing with injury trouble, as Martinez himself said he's better in the middle in one of those articles linked in here from in their Wigan days. And he hasn't got the shot on him among other things to be a starting 10. Imo he's pretty clearly an 8 to be paired with a 6 (either McCarthy or Barry).

I reckon that if he does come here then he will start the season in that wider role and then move more centrally as his confidence picks up. A lot of the time that inside left position ends up as more of a second striker in attack and I can see him doing his best work in the spaces that would open up to him.

It would be great to see Cleverley go to another club in all fairness. He simply is not good enough for us. There is one statistic that is crazy, and that is when we played and drew with Cardiff 2-2. Cleverley played for 90 minutes and didn't make a single tackle. For comparison, Fellaini made 4 and the Medel (whoever he is) actually made 6 tackles. This goes to show that Cleverley doesn't have the right attitude to make it as a CM. One of the things that separated the United team in the 90s and that of today, was the fact that we had Butt, Scholes and Keane, players who are good at their job, but at the same time, took no prisoners. Old Trafford was a fortress because the midfield was always won by that trio. In fact, the match was lost at the pre-match handshake. Today, I don't see that with Carrick or Cleverley. If you cannot win the midfield battle, the match is lost, plain and simple. That is exactly what happened with us this season and although it was too late for David Moyes, at least he made one good decision, and that was to leave Cleverley at home, because he couldn't count on him.

Edited by UnitedReds

I just want to note that we really shouldn't place too much importance on stats as tackles, but just to somewhat reassure my fellow Toffees in case we do sign him that he isn't that soft: despite his physical stature, he made as much tackles per game as Paulinho and more than Livermore, Nzonzi, Moussa Sissoko, Colback, Yaya Touré, Westwood, Ki, Flamini, Wilshere, De Guzman and Obi Mikel.

I don't rate Cleverley but if Roberto wants him he will do for me however, for £6-8 mill im sure they're are loads of players in Europe we don't know about that are better and Roberto is all over it

I don't want Tom Cleverley as I think he's shit but just look at some of the players I've called shit that have come good.

I flipped my lid when Phil Neville joined and he's the best captain I've seen at the club. I flipped my lid when Sylvain Distin signed and he's one of the best defenders I've seen at the club. I flipped my lid when James McCarthy signed and he looks like a fantastic prospect. I've just learned to trust the management at times because they know a lot more about players then us fans do.

If Cleverley does sign for Everton then I'll back him as much as I can.

It would be great to see Cleverley go to another club in all fairness. He simply is not good enough for us. There is one statistic that is crazy, and that is when we played and drew with Cardiff 2-2. Cleverley played for 90 minutes and didn't make a single tackle. For comparison, Fellaini made 4 and the Medel (whoever he is) actually made 6 tackles. This goes to show that Cleverley doesn't have the right attitude to make it as a CM. One of the things that separated the United team in the 90s and that of today, was the fact that we had Butt, Scholes and Keane, players who are good at their job, but at the same time, took no prisoners. Old Trafford was a fortress because the midfield was always won by that trio. In fact, the match was lost at the pre-match handshake. Today, I don't see that with Carrick or Cleverley. If you cannot win the midfield battle, the match is lost, plain and simple. That is exactly what happened with us this season and although it was too late for David Moyes, at least he made one good decision, and that was to leave Cleverley at home, because he couldn't count on him.

Jaysus. Ok lets just ignore anything you have to say.

Guest Nikica

I don't rate Cleverley, but is he really that bad? Or is he a scapegoat? To be honest there's plenty of average players in the Man U squad, but it seems like people such as he, Fellaini and Young are singled out to deflect criticism away from some of the others who are underperforming.

And yeah, Medel is class - a Chilean international who is way too good for Cardiff, and should have stayed at Sevilla for the sake of his career if not his bank balance. Expect a top ten team to sign him if and when Cardiff go down.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blueboy122

I don't rate Cleverley, but is he really that bad? Or is he a scapegoat? To be honest there's plenty of average players in the Man U squad, but it seems like people such as he, Fellaini and Young are singled out to deflect criticism away from some of the others who are underperforming.

And yeah, Medel is class - a Chilean international who is way too good for Cardiff, and should have stayed at Sevilla for the sake of his career if not his bank balance. Expect a top ten team to sign him if and when Cardiff go down.

Don't really rate Medel myself and certainly don't think he will play for a top prem side.

He's a it erratic with his tackles and not brilliant on the ball. Same standard as lee catermole in my opinion

He excels at absolutely nothing. The personification of a nothing player. It's bad enough watching Osman drift through games offering nothing, but he has age as an excuse. Watching this gonk do it at his age, and after paying a few million for him, will just piss me off.

throw a few cunts in there and couldn't have said it better

I seen a proper player a few years ago - good energy, could control tempo. It seems that he has become a boo boy whilst Carrick lives off his good season two years ago and Fellaini has offered nothing.

He's probably in the same boat as Rodwell - two players technically sound, well coached, who just lost the confidence to express themselves.

These are the types of players that make you realise how confidence is so important and that reputations can be destroyed quicker than ability actually drops.

He's not someone i'm overly excited about signing, but very interested to see how the right manager, fresh start and bit of belief can do for him.

He could be an £5m-£8m bargain... Ferguson rated him, Capello rated him, Hodgson rates him despite all the OTT criticism - I'm all for this move, its a no brainer at the cost. We won't lose on him.