IGNORED

Steven Naismith

Don't think we've had such a clinical one on one finisher since Cottee!

I was having flashbacks of Cottee in and around the penalty box.

Pretty clever with movements, and his finishing is top notch. Very rarely, if ever, tries to belt it.

Edited by doc_bump

"It's down to confidence. That comes from the manager who allows me to express myself. He knows my best position and he's given me my chance there. He knows I can get up and down the pitch -- but if I play wider I maybe lose aspects of my game."

I never understood why DM played him out wide when it was clear as day to anyone watching that his best position is slightly behind the striker.

I never understood why DM played him out wide when it was clear as day to anyone watching that his best position is slightly behind the striker.

Just didn't have enough options out wide while he and Moyes were at the club. Once Mirallas settled he only got chances there when Kev was injured. If it wasn't Naisy playing out there it would have been another makeshift option like Coleman or Barkley.

Not that I'm trying to give Moyes an out for doing it though. Mostly gave himself limited wide options by pretty much ignoring flair players or handling them poorly. I can't believe how quickly the squad has changed in that area with Martinez at the helm :D

Just didn't have enough options out wide while he and Moyes were at the club. Once Mirallas settled he only got chances there when Kev was injured. If it wasn't Naisy playing out there it would have been another makeshift option like Coleman or Barkley.

Not that I'm trying to give Moyes an out for doing it though. Mostly gave himself limited wide options by pretty much ignoring flair players or handling them poorly. I can't believe how quickly the squad has changed in that area with Martinez at the helm :D

I think Moyes also played him out wide because he is such a hard worker. He seemed to play him in big games as well as he would track back. I always thought Naismith was a good player even playing out wide but everyone can see he is much more comfortable in the middle behind the striker. What will we do when Barkley is fit again though!? I wouldn't want to drop him completely but only other option is to put him back on the wings isn't it? Mirallas on the left with him in the right or squad rotation player between Barkley, Lukaku and Eto'o ?

I think Moyes also played him out wide because he is such a hard worker. He seemed to play him in big games as well as he would track back. I always thought Naismith was a good player even playing out wide but everyone can see he is much more comfortable in the middle behind the striker. What will we do when Barkley is fit again though!? I wouldn't want to drop him completely but only other option is to put him back on the wings isn't it? Mirallas on the left with him in the right or squad rotation player between Barkley, Lukaku and Eto'o ?

Great problem to have though.

Great problem to have though.

Indeed. I like Naismith a lot but I'm not going to overreact to this small sample size. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to keep this form. I think his role is still ultimately as a super sub. He's someone you can bring on when you need a goal in the second half or after Barkley or Lukaku has tired themselves and you need a workhorse with fresh legs to pressure and do the dirty work.

Indeed. I like Naismith a lot but I'm not going to overreact to this small sample size. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to keep this form. I think his role is still ultimately as a super sub. He's someone you can bring on when you need a goal in the second half or after Barkley or Lukaku has tired themselves and you need a workhorse with fresh legs to pressure and do the dirty work.

Can't agree with that part more. What I love about him is his willingness to keep running and closing down, sniffing out half chances the whole game. Reminds me of the our old mate Timmy Cahill in that regard.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the reaction of the Scots just shows how much expectation they have of him. Which is absolutely testament to Naisy. It sounds like they were expecting him to bang them in and Scotland to win 4 or 5 nil (have they forgot their level already?!!).

But then, I really ain't arsed how he plays for Scotland.

Watched the highlights, I actually think he played well. Yes he missed a couple that he may have done better with but the critcism is probably coming from rangers fans. OTT. His link up play was very good.

Haha oh yes the striker who is there to score goals missed all of his chances. I know lukaku has a poor all round game but please note haf, if he gets clear enough chances they are in the back of the net.