IGNORED

Steven Naismith

I was gonna say, that's probably quite key to where Naismith played...Fellaini.

Moyes loved him behind the striker with that classic chest control.

Anyway, main thing is he is doing well. Where he played 2 years ago under a different manager seems a bit redundant.

Bold: clutching at straws with those names Bailey. Gueye not good enough (left sided player). Oviedo just brought in (left sided player). The rest can't consider them wide players at all.

Pienaar & Mirallas only viable wide players. Out of those 27 games Mirallas played I'm sure at least another 10 of those were cameo appearances. I remember him going of against Fulham or Stoke and Liverpool at home early of the top of my head. It got to the point were Moyes came out in the media and said he needed to toughen up. Moyes was bringing him off after 70mins every game.

Also Naismith mainly been operating in the hole (false 9). Fellaini had that position nailed. So to suggest he bought him to play out wide is still debatable.

I'm sure if Moyes had Pienaar, Mcgeady, Deulofeu, Mirallas available he wouldn't have been anywhere near the wings. Not suggesting he'd be near the starting 11 either but I'm sure he would have played more central if Fellaini wasn't about.

You say not good enough (which you are right with a couple) but neither was Naismith out wide. He was as bad as they were. It's irrelevant if their left sided either because Naismith played both sides but was predominately right sided because of Pienaar. Also Osman and Vic played wide a lot under Moyes so they can't just be written off. We probably had more cover wide than we did up front, especially as Vic gets injured every other game! Lol

Naismith has also never mentioned in interviews about Moyes signing him to play upfront or wanting him to play centrally and there has been a lot of interviews about that very subject. In fact Naismith has basically said that Moyes didn't make the most of his skill set.

I can see weight in the Felli argument but even so there was plenty of opportunity to play him in that role for a game or two if he fancied it but he clearly didn't. It's not like Felli was pulling up any trees either in that position so if he wanted to he could have tried it, especially in cup games.

Just looked I to Mirallas stats for 12/13.

Missed:11 games

Completed 45 mins or less: 7 games

Played 80 - 90minutes: 8 games

Subbed between 60th & 80th minute: 12 games

His appearances were very inconsistent.

That's still 20 games where he has played the lionshare. Giving him at least half a season to try something else.

Bottom line is Moyes obviously saw something in him to get him on board which was probably to do with his attitude and work rate. Martinez has made Naismith become the player he has for Everton.

Just like Stones and to some extent Barkley, Moyes may have brought them in or brought them through but I'd bet a sack full of money that none of those 3 would be anywhere near the level they are now if Moyes was still here.

Edited by Bailey

The problem in that season was Moyes was clinging on hope that Jelavic would rediscover form - like us all. In the end he had to drop him and yes Victor started to play as the striker.....is Naismith an out and out striker? someone who can lead a line....? Not for me. Either a false 9 or someone who plays in behind. Just how Martinez plays him. That scope wasn't there under Moyes.

Fellaini was nailed on in the current Naismith role back then. He pulled up a lot of trees there. He was our top goalscorer.

As I say there's no way for any of us to confirm that Moyes brought him in as a winger or striker., But he'd always played centrally for Rangers and Scotland and in the pre season Moyes had him playing through the middle.

Like all the squads available to him. Moyes adapted players for the roles available. Square pegs round holes. You can say he used Naismith similar to how he used Osman throughout his career. If his better players wernt fit (Mirallas/Arteta) he'd put the square peg in (Naismith/Osman) because that's all he had available to him.

The problem in that season was Moyes was clinging on hope that Jelavic would rediscover form - like us all. In the end he had to drop him and yes Victor started to play as the striker.....is Naismith an out and out striker? someone who can lead a line....? Not for me. Either a false 9 or someone who plays in behind. Just how Martinez plays him. That scope wasn't there under Moyes.

Fellaini was nailed on in the current Naismith role back then. He pulled up a lot of trees there. He was our top goalscorer.

As I say there's no way for any of us to confirm that Moyes brought him in as a winger or striker., But he'd always played centrally for Rangers and Scotland and in the pre season Moyes had him playing through the middle.

Like all the squads available to him. Moyes adapted players for the roles available. Square pegs round holes. You can say he used Naismith similar to how he used Osman throughout his career. If his better players wernt fit (Mirallas/Arteta) he'd put the square peg in (Naismith/Osman) because that's all he had available to him.

Felli had half the fans on his back that season so he wasn't pulling up any trees other than the first game against Utd. Just looking at how Moyes wanted to play (using Felli or sometimes Vic and Cahill previously) he wasn't interested in a ball player behind the striker (hence why Barkley never got a sniff either and Osman was mostly played deep when he was central).

I don't remember Naismith playing centrally in pre-season but I didn't watch all the games. I have found the below link to the game you have mentioned which suggests he played wide again.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/09/3295848/hat-trick-hero-naismith-ready-to-fill-cahill-void-as-everton

There is no evidence I can see that Moyes had any intention of playing him there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After all the criticism the lad took by the majority of the fans he's now one of our main players. I've always liked him.

I'd play him ahead of Barkley at the minute.

I'll have to admit that I wasn't too convinced by him after his first season, but he's really grown as a player. He makes all the right runs and shows a lot of passion on the field.

The only thing he is missing is that little bit of extra technical ability that we see in players like Mirallas or Barkley.

Edited by TonkaRoost

• 2 weeks later...