Sign in to follow this  
Cornish Steve

Joe Royle

I'm glad he's coming back and I always thought he was a good man. But as a manager I don't think he was up to much. The season he left we were terrible at times (after an excellent start). Big Nev was scathing of him in his book on that season, although he had an axe to grind. I remember once Royle said something along the lines of, 'Tactics aren't that important. The Brazil team in the 1970s didn't worry about tactics – they just used to give the ball to Pele!' Which I think isn't true to start with, but in any case overlooked the fact that closest player we had to Pele was probably Graham Stuart!

I've had the pleasure of meeting Joe Royle and he is such a nice person. Speaks so highly of Everton also, you can tell he loves the club. Good luck to him in his new role at Norwich. Gutted he didn't come to Everton though.

It's strange though, the job offer seems to have been well known before he accepted the position at Norwich - only for him to resign and take Everton's offer.

It's strange though, the job offer seems to have been well known before he accepted the position at Norwich - only for him to resign and take Everton's offer.

I think this may be a slightly different role than what was previously on offer, a bit more hands on I think.

I think this may be a slightly different role than what was previously on offer, a bit more hands on I think.

Yup, Stubbs and Irvine leaving will have created the space I'd have thought; he'll be a bit higher up the food chain than he would've been in the previous circumstances.

Remember speaking to him after that 1-6 thrashing by arsenal and he stayed over to talk to fans outside.

Really good guy and smart too.

I remember him putting it into perspective by saying Arsenal could do that to anyone on their day. Move on it won't happen again.

2 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Joe's 68, so I'd like to think he's recognized its time for him to slow down moreso than him being pushed out or not good enough.

be great if the club honoured him in some way after all he has done for them.

Joe Royle: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Club over the last few years and, in particular, the opportunity to work so closely with David Unsworth. I’ve been hugely impressed with the way in which he has developed his players”

“While it just feels like the right time for me to take a break, I’ll still be around the place. I’ve been coming to Goodison for more than 60 years and I’m not going to stop now. I’ve always been an Evertonian and I will always be an Evertonian.”

Joe Royle: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Club over the last few years and, in particular, the opportunity to work so closely with David Unsworth. I’ve been hugely impressed with the way in which he has developed his players”
“While it just feels like the right time for me to take a break, I’ll still be around the place. I’ve been coming to Goodison for more than 60 years and I’m not going to stop now. I’ve always been an Evertonian and I will always be an Evertonian.”
Pure class. I like how he recognizes Unsworth. He really has done a great job developing young players.