IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9287226/premier-league-roberto-martinez-set-for-busy-summer-in-transfer-market

By my reckoning we need to sign at least another 4 or 5 players even if we dont qualify for Europe and with Roberto saying we need another 6 or 7 if we qualify then it really could be a busy summer!

Slighty concerned about the "It's not about improving - it's about increasing," comment though

Its obvious that we need at leat one CF, probably even 2, and even though Gibson is coming back I think we still need a CM preferably a creative playmaker, a young Arteta would do nicely. But where else do you think we need to strengthen?

For me areas that need strengthening are:-

Central Midfield:- concerns are Osman and Barry (old and cant play too many games) Gibson will be back but we need to see how he is fitness wise (hearing bad stories about his nocternal habits). Need 1 or 2 players here.

wide players:- with Mirallas, Pienaar, McGeady, Gerry, we should be ok I think.

Defence:- as above a left sided centre half - lescott on a free?

Strikers:- Dont want Lukaku, not worth anywhere near the touted money. This is where we need to throw thew most money at. 2 like Loic Remy & Bony with Kone and Nais as back up.

Lescott anyone? Out of contract at the end of the season, he's earned his £20m over 5 years. Surely at 32 (in august) he fancies rejoining the club. I don't have bitterness towards him, he more than doubled his wages, has been known to have a dodgy knee hanfing over his head and no doubt thought "get my security well and truly sorted". Solid left sided centre half.

Our biggest shortcoming is the lack of a creative CM feeding striker(s) and penetrating defences with swift passing or darting runs into the box - o yes and to take corners

we need at least 2 strikers (assuming Lukaku will leave) - as backup and to have variety -

we need cover at right back -

we need someone who can head the ball since we haven't scored from a corner for ages -

that 5 plus a loanie or two as cover -

our squad is running on the rims at the moment and we have not even played 1 European game - the warning lights are flashing -

we need a bigger squad if we want to be serious title contenders and European adventurers -

Martinez have done wonders with our limited squad but we have been exposed at the critical stage of the season

Lescott anyone? Out of contract at the end of the season, he's earned his £20m over 5 years. Surely at 32 (in august) he fancies rejoining the club. I don't have bitterness towards him, he more than doubled his wages, has been known to have a dodgy knee hanfing over his head and no doubt thought "get my security well and truly sorted". Solid left sided centre half.

if we did we might actually see a centre half score a goal

Him and Jags were as good as any at the back.

I think we need a left footed centre half, possibly a right back if Hibbert retires, a left footed centre midfield holding player, a left footed winger, a striker.

I think we can skip this, Browning is apparently impressing and wouldnt mind him being understudy to Coleman

We need 3 midfielders, including a good creative midfielder, striker and 1 CB. Other than that I think we are pretty well covered.

2 CM, 2 Strikers, 1 Left CB, 1 Left Winger, 1 RB, 1 ACM.

I think Browning is our RB cover and Ledson is the ACM (attacking centre mid). So really i think we only need 6 new players. Plus we could use Kennedy as the winger if need be.

Id like McAleny as one of our strikers too

IMO I think we would benefit more if we purchased 1 decent ST rather than two, simply because we have Naismith, Kone (if he ever gets fit) and Mirallas as cover and possibly even Delu~ to play there in a worst case scenario, and if we secure another loan stint for him.

I mean, thats three people who can cover the position without complicating things too much. Strikers are expensive bits of kit! Lets try to spend 10-15 mil on one, rather than two average strikers for a combined price.

We also really need an attack minded CM what would cost a few quid too, and on top of that, either Gareth Barry or a similar player to him. Personally, I think he's keen to join, its just how much wage is he willing to drop, although if he dosnt, who else is going to pay him mega money at 33? Arsenal? Doubt it. He's only got 1 or 2 more years at this level.

Signing 7 players is a hell of a lot of money, I'd expect another 3 or so loans, and a couple of free transfers. I really cant see us actually purchasing any more than 2 or 3 players (minus low priced youth players), especially as RM knows we need to sign a potential world beater up top!

It's going to be the best summer window we've had in years though, mark my words!

Edited by AidanLewis

I think will Roberto will consider Browning a deffo first team squad member with Garbutt and possibly one or two others which will bump the numbers up.Consider we have Kone,Gibbo and Oviedo to come back aswell that covers a few positions. I expect Gerry and Traore to return on loan and if we look at good free transfers even domestically would save us the transfer fees. Granted the wage bill will increase but with the sky money going through the roof we should manage easily. Even domestically I would take:

Lescott - nearly 32 but good for a two year contract which would allow stones to grow for a couple of seasons and would save us buying a centre half. I'd hope he wouldn't ask for daft money though

Barry - nailed on

Seb Larson - decent from set pieces which is obviously what we can do with, good footballing brain. decent squad player.

Throw one or two more loan players that Roberto will have up his sleeve and leaves us with a decent kitty for a top striker and two quality midfielders. The Hoffenehiem midfielder looks quality and I would try for Powell at United or Will hughes at Derby. Id love Bony but he will go elsewhere for big money and I wouldn't touch Lukaku at the figures mentioned. I think Roberto will have somebody lined up from abroad.

"It's not about improving - it's about increasing."

Spot on... obviously we need to improve 1 or 2 areas but generally this summer must be about getting those extra bodies in which obviously must be of high quality but not necessarily better than what we have already.

My example would be Jack Colback... if we had signed him in Jan we would probably be closer to 4th. McCarthy/Barry have needed a rest - this proved costly against Palace, Colback could have slotted straight in for either. He's not as good as either but he would do a better job there than playing Osman/Barkley in an unfamiliar withdrawn role.

We need quantity of a certain quality in the summer generally but real quality in attack!

Add numbers for me. Not just any old numbers, good quality versatile players that bobby and his staff can work on and that will really help our squad.

Please don't go and wax most of our budget on one striker...what if he gets injured straight in for a few months? Deep shit material.

Guest blueboy122

No chance I would want Ince.

Can't even get in the Palace side.

Wouldn't mind either Colback, Rodwell on free's but I doubt City would let Rodwell go for free.

I would like Welbeck as our centre forward with players either side of him in a 4-3-3 think that would work.

few guys we could or should go for im my oppinion

Butland, quality young english keeper to compete with howard for number 1 spot, from what i've seen of Robles he's just not good enough to be a #1.

Micah Richards, CB, and RB cover, again english and 25 years of age would have alot to offer.

Barry, goes without saying, tie him down to a year or two because he's earned that contract.

Rodwell, would love to see him back, player with huge potential and still at a young age to live up to it. don't think any fan can give up on him.

Deulefeau again on loan?

another younger playmaker to replace osman and pienaar.

Batshuaiy, release clause of 6.7, if we can't get lukaku go for this guy.

Just a quick one about Butland, his development has stalled a fair bit. When called upon, he's been erratic and flappy.

Stoke fans I know, dont think hes going to be good enough, make of that what you will.

Shame though.

I remember I thought that he looked like it was his first time in goal at the U21 Euros last summer as well.