IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

I have no idea why anyone would put Mcgeady ahead of Pienaar. Pienaar is a 90 minute player who puts a graft in up and down the pitch. Same can't be said for super sub Mcgeady, I don't rate him yet.

I don't get it either. I'm not quite as unsold on McGeady as you, but there's no way he eclipses Pienaar yet. He hasn't done anything to really earn his place. I think he will come good and look exponentially better than he did for us last season, but right now McGeady is still behind Pienaar.

And Besic is still behind Barry, no matter how many pirouettes he does in preseason.

I don't get it either. I'm not quite as unsold on McGeady as you, but there's no way he eclipses Pienaar yet. He hasn't done anything to really earn his place. I think he will come good and look exponentially better than he did for us last season, but right now McGeady is still behind Pienaar.

And Besic is still behind Barry, no matter how many pirouettes he does in preseason.

Joe, but when has Pienaar? He had a good spell 6 months after his return from Spurs and since then has looked half the player. Seriously.

Very lethargic and messy in his play. At least McGeady's show determination and ability. Pienaar for me, has done very little.

I just want Mirallas playing on the left, so Pienaar needs to be benched as I don't believe he'd be anywhere near as effective on the right as he is on the left. At this stage of his career it might be best for him and his longevity if he's a sub and starts when we're rotating anyway. McGeady looked promising nearly every time he came on as a sub last season imo. He has been very up and down this pre-season in terms of his general play, but he's also created as many chances as Pienaar does in ten games or so. Pienaar is a bit warrior-like on the defensive end, but McGeady has been very conscientious in tracking back as well imo.

I have no idea why anyone would put Mcgeady ahead of Pienaar. Pienaar is a 90 minute player who puts a graft in up and down the pitch. Same can't be said for super sub Mcgeady, I don't rate him yet.

when did Pienaar last play 90 mins out of curiosity?

I feel like Pienaar, regardless of him cocking up a shot here or there, is one of our most consistent performers. He wins us fouls all over the pitch, always finds space to receive a pass, picks smart passes out, and links up well. Sure, he isn't as fast as he used to be and he's not going to beat the fullback to the line with pace, but he's an intelligent player and a major asset to us, especially as we are playing a possession game.

I rate Peanuts. Granted he hasn't been the same player he was but I think he has a few injuries and hopefully he is over them now. He never goes hiding and is always available for his team mates. Maybe he will just be a sixty minute player these days but I would rather have him pushed up in the Barkley role when Ross is rested. He has got a final ball and draws fouls which would be in the final third not on the half way line

I know its early but ive been telling everybody in work about Besic. Do you know when you giggle to yourself because you've farted and you know everybody is gonna freak out when it lands? Same thing about Besic......................................

Anybody?

Just me then.

I know its early but ive been telling everybody in work about Besic. Do you know when you giggle to yourself because you've farted and you know everybody is gonna freak out when it lands? Same thing about Besic......................................

Anybody?

Just me then.

I don't know about that but just reading this made me giggle!

Anybody?

Just me then.

Tricky Trev is an apt alias for you, I see...

Anybody?

Just me then.

Last time I felt like that was after watching Bilyaletdinov's debut against AEK Athens. I reread the match day thread earlier, we were so excited.

Not saying Besic will go the same way, just being a little cautious.

This is absolutely spot on. We're ok if our key players stay fit but if they don't then we 're fucked it's as simple as that.

With Dunc, we're not that much different to last year. With rotten luck, we could be without the likes of Rom, Barry, McCarthy, Distin....etc. through injury. It COULD happen and if it did, we'd struggle. No question.

In the long run, if we don't do as well as last year, will players like Besic or Rom want to be here without prospects of European football? Possibly. Possibly not. Either way, the squad isn't big (or good enough) to repeat last year, as well as the EL.

This is all true in terms of injuries but the same applies to most teams in the league and in Europe. We don't have the funds to plan for an injury crisis and managing the egos of that many 'first team' players who wouldn't be playing most of the time can lead to far more issues in the dressing room than a few injuries. Just think that if we didn't have the injuries to the back four, Stones wouldn't have stepped up and been as impressive as he was for the most part. Clubs of our spending power need to use the kids when injuries start to pop up. Last year we dealt with some pretty frustrating injuries to big players so whilst extra games can cause more issues, it didn't hurt us in previous seasons when we have competed on both fronts. Its going to be important that we rotate players, like we did last season, and that on its own should help keep players fresher than we have in previous Euro seasons, as for the main Moyes played the same 11 every game and we coped.

We do need a couple more bodies, but at the same time, if we dont then we will still compete.

Joe, but when has Pienaar? He had a good spell 6 months after his return from Spurs and since then has looked half the player. Seriously.

Very lethargic and messy in his play. At least McGeady's show determination and ability. Pienaar for me, has done very little.

I've been thinking about this Pienaar/McGeady debate nearly all pre season and for me, I rate Pienaar, what he does for the team cannot be under estimated HOWEVER my biggest qualm is he just doesn't get enough Assists or Goals.. A Winger for me should effect around 15 goals a year to carry their weight be it 10 assists and 5 goals whatever... I understand Pienaar's game is bringing others in and link up play with his back to goal so perhaps it's time for him to move centrally and alternate with Ross. McGeady has been poor pre season, no argument there. But he shows a desire to improve and works equally as hard for the team, his pace and ability to beat a man could become a huge asset this season. At least I hope

I've been thinking about this Pienaar/McGeady debate nearly all pre season and for me, I rate Pienaar, what he does for the team cannot be under estimated HOWEVER my biggest qualm is he just doesn't get enough Assists or Goals.. A Winger for me should effect around 15 goals a year to carry their weight be it 10 assists and 5 goals whatever... I understand Pienaar's game is bringing others in and link up play with his back to goal so perhaps it's time for him to move centrally and alternate with Ross. McGeady has been poor pre season, no argument there. But he shows a desire to improve and works equally as hard for the team, his pace and ability to beat a man could become a huge asset this season. At least I hope

Coincidentally, I was just looking at the Telegraph's fantasy statistics for last season's Everton squad a couple of hours ago. Rather than just assists, they have a category they award players fantasy points for called "key contributions," which encompasses assists but also other play that directly results in a goal - affecting goals, in other words, just like you said. By the Telegraph's numbers, these are the stats for our main wide players last season (all competitions):

Mirallas: 36 games, 9 goals, 13 key contributions (22 total)

Osman: 42 games, 3 goals, 10 key contributions (13 total)

Deulofeu: 27 games, 3 goals, 6 key contributions (9 total)

Pienaar: 25 games, 1 goal, 6 key contributions (7 total)

McGeady: 18 games, 0 goals, 2 key contributions (2 total)

Pro-rated, that puts Pienaar on pace to affect about 11 goals last season if he plays closer to 40 games. That's down a bit from his historic rate, but still not terrible. Just the year before in 2012-13, he scored 6 goals and actually led the club in key contributions (per Telegraph numbers) with 12, for a total of 18 goals affected, which meets your standard and then some. But he was also healthy enough to play in 35 games that season.

He appeared in 25 matches in all competitions last year, started in 21 of them, and went the full 90 in 7 of them.

Don't know how much of that was tactical and how much was fitness, but either way he must have been one of our most frequently subbed players.

Thanks mate :)

We rotated last season quite a lot, especially the wide men and Barkley and we were fine.

I think we should be fine in the left back, centre back, central midfield three and (if we get Atsu) the wing areas. I don't think we're fine in the centre forward, right back and goalkeeping area. If we get Atsu and a centre forward, we'll have had an incredible window though, mind you.

The centre forward area is the one concern with Kone out, so that is an issue but I don't think it will create too much of an issue if Browning or Stones come in at RB for a game here or there. The worry in that position is if Coleman is out long term. To have the potential to rotate in that many areas though is pretty good all things considered.