Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Summer Transfer Window

I've been thinking about this Pienaar/McGeady debate nearly all pre season and for me, I rate Pienaar, what he does for the team cannot be under estimated HOWEVER my biggest qualm is he just doesn't get enough Assists or Goals.. A Winger for me should effect around 15 goals a year to carry their weight be it 10 assists and 5 goals whatever... I understand Pienaar's game is bringing others in and link up play with his back to goal so perhaps it's time for him to move centrally and alternate with Ross. McGeady has been poor pre season, no argument there. But he shows a desire to improve and works equally as hard for the team, his pace and ability to beat a man could become a huge asset this season. At least I hope

Coincidentally, I was just looking at the Telegraph's fantasy statistics for last season's Everton squad a couple of hours ago. Rather than just assists, they have a category they award players fantasy points for called "key contributions," which encompasses assists but also other play that directly results in a goal - affecting goals, in other words, just like you said. By the Telegraph's numbers, these are the stats for our main wide players last season (all competitions):

Mirallas: 36 games, 9 goals, 13 key contributions (22 total)

Osman: 42 games, 3 goals, 10 key contributions (13 total)

Deulofeu: 27 games, 3 goals, 6 key contributions (9 total)

Pienaar: 25 games, 1 goal, 6 key contributions (7 total)

McGeady: 18 games, 0 goals, 2 key contributions (2 total)

Pro-rated, that puts Pienaar on pace to affect about 11 goals last season if he plays closer to 40 games. That's down a bit from his historic rate, but still not terrible. Just the year before in 2012-13, he scored 6 goals and actually led the club in key contributions (per Telegraph numbers) with 12, for a total of 18 goals affected, which meets your standard and then some. But he was also healthy enough to play in 35 games that season.

He appeared in 25 matches in all competitions last year, started in 21 of them, and went the full 90 in 7 of them.

Don't know how much of that was tactical and how much was fitness, but either way he must have been one of our most frequently subbed players.

Thanks mate :)

I can live with Naismith and Kone being Roms back up if Kone is fit, but I don't think Kone will stay fit. I hope we can sell him in January and get some money back if possible, and to get that shirt off him!

We rotated last season quite a lot, especially the wide men and Barkley and we were fine.

I think we should be fine in the left back, centre back, central midfield three and (if we get Atsu) the wing areas. I don't think we're fine in the centre forward, right back and goalkeeping area. If we get Atsu and a centre forward, we'll have had an incredible window though, mind you.

The centre forward area is the one concern with Kone out, so that is an issue but I don't think it will create too much of an issue if Browning or Stones come in at RB for a game here or there. The worry in that position is if Coleman is out long term. To have the potential to rotate in that many areas though is pretty good all things considered.

The centre forward area is the one concern with Kone out, so that is an issue but I don't think it will create too much of an issue if Browning or Stones come in at RB for a game here or there. The worry in that position is if Coleman is out long term. To have the potential to rotate in that many areas though is pretty good all things considered.

I'd be fine with Coleman not starting a game from time to time, that's not gonna derail our season, but that doesn't mean we have his position covered. Rotating is fine and all, but you need people who can genuinely step in when someone gets a long term injury and we don't have those people at centre forward, right back or in goal imo.

I'd be fine with Coleman not starting a game from time to time, that's not gonna derail our season, but that doesn't mean we have his position covered. Rotating is fine and all, but you need people who can genuinely step in when someone gets a long term injury and we don't have those people at centre forward, right back or in goal imo.

True but your not going to want to rotate your back 4 too much anyway. It's a bit different at LB with 3 players involved but you would certainly want and expect Coleman to play the majority of our game fitness permitting.

The jury is still out on Robles but he will more than likely start our cup games regardless of whether we think he is good enough because Bobby does.

Again, I agree up front. Naismith will be ok for a game here or there but you wouldn't want him to start 20 games a season for example.

True but your not going to want to rotate your back 4 too much anyway. It's a bit different at LB with 3 players involved but you would certainly want and expect Coleman to play the majority of our game fitness permitting.

The jury is still out on Robles but he will more than likely start our cup games regardless of whether we think he is good enough because Bobby does.

Again, I agree up front. Naismith will be ok for a game here or there but you wouldn't want him to start 20 games a season for example.

Yeah, I'm not pleading to rotate with Coleman either. I just want someone that can step up if he does get injured. If Hibbert has to start for three months or something like that, than our entire game has to change because he doesn't even come close to replicating what Coleman offers. I don't think we're gonna get anyone for that area btw. We've already committed to Hibbert. Perhaps we might get that Irish lad in, Lenihan.

Yeah, I'm not pleading to rotate with Coleman either. I just want someone that can step up if he does get injured. If Hibbert has to start for three months or something like that, than our entire game has to change because he doesn't even come close to replicating what Coleman offers. I don't think we're gonna get anyone for that area btw. We've already committed to Hibbert. Perhaps we might get that Irish lad in, Lenihan.

Yeh I agree, we would be screwed if that happened! I would defintiely hope to see Stones or Browning in there ahead of him but even they cant offer the levels of Coleman.

We haven't got any loans yet! clubs once they have done their buying then want to offload. I imagine if we are scouting Henen at that age and Besic we are scouting players at all the big clubs.They have huge squads and want to get those players out. Im sure Bobby knows who he wants and is waiting for the green light. A winger either Atsu or Troare from Barca is a must. Aswell as a striker. I would like a pacy forward and a creative number ten.Id play Garbutt and Browning ahead of hibbert. Think weve missed a trick with Bojan though

Latest interview Bobby was asked about a additional striker. He said he's happy with what he's got but will be working right until the end of the transfer window.

Not sure what to make of that tbh.

Latest interview Bobby was asked about a additional striker. He said he's happy with what he's got but will be working right until the end of the transfer window.

Probably that he's looking and will add a striker if the deal is right, and if not that he thinks we are well covered. Or strikers are not a priority, hes shopping for other areas but he has a plan in place if he cant get his primary targets and will sort it last minute (if the deal is right).

edit: I'll quote the Echo again, seems my latter statement is closer

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-agree-principle-sign-7600046

Asked on his progress in adding another striker to his squad, the Catalan said he will wait until near the end of the transfer window before making his move.
"We'll take every day we have left in the window just to assess what we have in the squad and I'm happy with what we have," he said.
"I would say we will take right until the last moment."

If we sign a striker I think it will be Traore on loan. I would be happy with that to be honest. Get Traore and Atsu on loan and we look to have a good team for Europa and league.

I wouldn't mind Martinez going for someone like Zaha or Hernadez from United. Could potentially get one of them on loan....

Im not watching the Real v Sevilla game but I really rate Bacca and would love him here. I think Bobby is very astute. We have splashed out on Lukaku and if injured we have a crock in Kone and Naismith and Mirrallas as stand ins. A striker to put pressure on Lukaku is what we need. Im sure we have money there if the right player comes up and im sure Bobby will get his man.

He has also said that Kone will be fit by the end of Sept so if he is going to be fit and stay fit then we shouldn't need another striker.

I can imagine he will still be after a loan though if one becomes available.

Im not watching the Real v Sevilla game but I really rate Bacca and would love him here. I think Bobby is very astute. We have splashed out on Lukaku and if injured we have a crock in Kone and Naismith and Mirrallas as stand ins. A striker to put pressure on Lukaku is what we need. Im sure we have money there if the right player comes up and im sure Bobby will get his man.

Yes Trev, we definitly need another quality striker to keep big Rom on his toes. I doubt he's worried about Kone or Naisy keeping him out the team. Can't afford him thinking he's starting every game no matter how he plays. I'm certain Utd have still got some major business to do & that will have a knock on as to who they let go & to where. Can still see a Cleverley or Zaha loan happening myself. We'll still bring two or three in on loan I'm sure.

Swedish journalists have raised a question in swedens largest silly season blog. Has Everton had the most impressive transfer window so far in the PL? With clever signings and the way they have tied down their stars to long contracts.

Lukaku, Besic, Atsu and Barry. 3 wc players and one very experienced player.

What other PL clubs have done better so far?

Improved Google translation of the blog post.

Chelsea releases World Cup players to Everton

August 9, 2014, at. 13:11 by Per Bohman

Hell yes. Everton continues to impress during the transfer window. Now Roberto Martinez is completing yet another cunning piece of business. Quick, unpredictable Christian Atsu, 22, follows Romelu Lukakus footsteps and leaves Chelsea for Everton. Only this time it's a loan. Atsu spent last season on loan at Dutch Vitesse. The left-footed front runner completed an excellent World Cup for Ghana and is a pure speed player. Roberto Martinez is also about to extend the contract with important inner midfielder James McCarthy. - It would be a reasonable next step, says the manager. Has Everton, so far, had the best transfer window in the Premier League? - with their heavy extensions and exciting new additions? Which clubs are challenging?

*edit. The best part of the original google translation was the first two words. I changed them from "Yes motherfuckers" to "hell yes" The swedish was "ja jävlar" which directly translated would be "yes devils" but is used more like "I´ll be darned"

Loved the "Yes Motherfuckers" tho.

I don't think we will. Said before, if I was a striker I wouldn't sign for Everton knowing Rom is the main man regardless of how good I may be. All the talking up of McAleny and Long, as well as Kone, I don't think he even wants a striker now. Unless Kone has a big set back or Naismith gets injured before the deadline, then I'd expect Traore, or similar quality, on loan.

I don't think we will. Said before, if I was a striker I wouldn't sign for Everton knowing Rom is the main man regardless of how good I may be. All the talking up of McAleny and Long, as well as Kone, I don't think he even wants a striker now. Unless Kone has a big set back or Naismith gets injured before the deadline, then I'd expect Traore, or similar quality, on loan.

Then my answer will be a meh.

can't get my head around that. which transfer window in the past would you prefer over this one? getting jelavic in? or louis saha? bilyatendinov? i like you romey but sometimes you're crazy man.

The question wasn't how it compares to other transfer windows though.

your answer wouldn't be "a very good window" rather than an excellent window?

its been far from average

I suppose it would be that, rather than meh. But goals win games and if our back up to Lukaku is Kone, Naismith, Long and McAleny? Hmm.

I suppose it would be that, rather than meh. But goals win games and if our back up to Lukaku is Kone, Naismith, Long and McAleny? Hmm.

Indeed they do but that isn't the sole responsibility of the striker to do that, which is why I don't get the concern of the coverage upfront. We have 3 senior strikers at the moment, 4 if you include Mirallas, for 1 position. Thats good coverage before you include the kids, who I expect to see get some time too.

Moreover, we should be looking for the rest of the team to start chipping in. Barkley needs to step up with more, Mirallas too, if we can get our set pieces right then the DCM and CBs can start adding to the tally.

I'm more concerned about reinforcing the assists than the goalscorer. Winger seems covered, now an RB is all we really "need". Everything else is nice to have.

Indeed they do but that isn't the sole responsibility of the striker to do that, which is why I don't get the concern of the coverage upfront. We have 3 senior strikers at the moment, 4 if you include Mirallas, for 1 position. Thats good coverage before you include the kids, who I expect to see get some time too.

Moreover, we should be looking for the rest of the team to start chipping in. Barkley needs to step up with more, Mirallas too, if we can get our set pieces right then the DCM and CBs can start adding to the tally.

I'm more concerned about reinforcing the assists than the goalscorer. Winger seems covered, now an RB is all we really "need". Everything else is nice to have.

I'm just being greedy by trying to cover all bases tbh!

Barkley (and Mirallas) scored a decent amount of goals last season. It's assists where Barkley needs to improve, and massively.

I'm happy with this window so far & obviously pleased we've brought Rom & Barry in permanently. Can't help but think that the squads exactly the same size & quality as last year though with Besic the only real addition. Apart from him & Gerry being swapped for Atsu it's as was. (Galloway & Henen, if that ever happens, being earmarked for the U21's) We've not added the six or seven bodies Bobby said we needed at the start of the summer & if we don't get really lucky with injuries will be in trouble.

For me, its a solid window, no question but we desperately need a second striker with a similar strike rate to Rom. To help take the burden off.

It has to be a striker, otherwise our main priority hasn't been filled.

We need another striker we really do. Someone like Eto would be ideal. He would bring a wealth of experience be happy to rotate and be an impact player.

Look at it this way, we're drawing 1-1 with Stoke (for example) and Lukakus having a mare, you look at ghe bench with 20 mins to go and you have Kone and Naismith. It hardly fills you with hope does it, where as an Eto (yes he's 30 something and past his prime) would have you thinking he could nab us a goal here with him being a wily ex world class player. Kone, you're just petrified his knees going to break and Naismith?

I don't like talking bad of Naismith I think he's proved us all wrong, but not as an out and out striker more wide or behind the striker for me.

Naismith more wide?? That's where he took all of his criticism. He's most certainly not a wide player mate. Last season. Proved that, he's a lot better through the middle.

Etoo would be ok but he hardly set Chelsea a light last season

Yes, on the left side of the 3 or in Barkeleys position over him playing up front for me.

Naismith has proved quite clearly that he is most effective in a central role - that is where he can use his intelligence and movement to greater effect.

Out wide he is hard working and thats about it, his final ball isn't the best. The lad will score in and around the box.

Naismith and Kone as back up will do me, one step at a time. And I cant see any striker with a decent rate wanting to come to us to know he will be second fiddle.

the same with a right back, they wont be as good as Coleman, but they need to be better than Hibbert but happy to sit on the bench. Not many of them around.

Out wide he is hard working and thats about it, his final ball isn't the best.

I agree, he will work his socks off out there and you get 110% from him. Although he is supposedly a striker naturally I don't think he is good enough for the prem as one where as out wide he can be effective and work hard.

Behind the striker is where his best position is in my eyes.

If the window closed tomorrow I would have to say I was fairly happy with it but we most definitely do need another striker.

Lukaku looked dead on his feet before he got injured last season and if you add in the extra strain of the World Cup I just don't think he is fit enough to play all season even if he does steer clear of injury. We have spent a lot of money this window to just keep last seasons squad together and so I do feel we could ideally do with bringing in more numbers but if weve blown all our cash now then I wouldn't grumble either

If the window closed tomorrow I would have to say I was fairly happy with it but we most definitely do need another striker.

Lukaku looked dead on his feet before he got injured last season and if you add in the extra strain of the World Cup I just don't think he is fit enough to play all season even if he does steer clear of injury. We have spent a lot of money this window to just keep last seasons squad together and so I do feel we could ideally do with bringing in more numbers but if weve blown all our cash now then I wouldn't grumble either

That's pretty much how I feel I'm desperate for us to bring in another quality player or two but if that's to be it after smashing our transfer record bringing back what's arguably our best player last season in Barry, tying down our quality young players plus Besic and then Galloway and hopefully Henin it's hard to argue against it....BUT .... We're still not really any stronger are we so 2 more one real quality and the other a good squad player I think I'd be absolutely blown away with it.

I'd hate to see Traore come back in. But Bobby did say he was interested in bringing him back!

I wouldn't be overjoyed to see him back but he would be better than nothing and an option to throw on last 20 if we were struggling for a goal.

I want Eto although I won't get it.

I'd hate to see Traore come back in. But Bobby did say he was interested in bringing him back!

How the fuck can anyone pass judgment on a lad who has had 45 mins to prove himself.....(and he scored).... You lot amaze me sometimes. Sometimes I thunk it's cause it's not someone fresh so the novelty has already worn off with this lad.

How the fuck can anyone pass judgment on a lad who has had 45 mins to prove himself.....(and he scored).... You lot amaze me sometimes. Sometimes I thunk it's cause it's not someone fresh so the novelty has already worn off with this lad.

He played 63minutes mate the ball was bouncing of his knee, shin and back. He was terrible.

Not this again....

Tell you what, those who can judge a player in 1 game or less, quit your job and go be a professional scout, because those professional scouts spend several games, follow them season after season in some cases, and take an age judging a player. Thats got to be expensive! Not to mention all the staff who cut 90% of youth players for not making the grade. You could save clubs a lot of time and money with your ability to judge the potential and skill in a near-instant...

:dry:

Not this again....

Tell you what, those who can judge a player in 1 game or less, quit your job and go be a professional scout, because those professional scouts spend several games, follow them season after season in some cases, and take an age judging a player. Thats got to be expensive! Not to mention all the staff who cut 90% of youth players for not making the grade. You could save clubs a lot of time and money with your ability to judge the potential and skill in a near-instant...

Well said fella!

Not this again....

Sure it's happened plenty of times. Had one look and decided no.

Sure it's happened plenty of times. Had one look and decided no.

I can probably say I haven't written a player off without seeing plenty and plenty of games beforehand, but that doesn't mean I've never said a players had a shit performance.

If people want to say Traore had a poor performance then fair enough, thats open to interpretation. But that is no grounds to write a player off.

That's your opinion Matt. I judge the lad on what I've seen and he was awful, nothing like the player I was expecting. Absolutely limited control of the ball, running around like a headless chicken. 6ft 8 and can't get a foot of the ground. Plus he's prone to injury.

I was referring to the fact that there has probably been numerous times when scouts have took one look and not returned.

Guest blueboy122

That's your opinion Matt. I judge the lad on what I've seen and he was awful, nothing like the player I was expecting. Absolutely limited control of the ball, running around like a headless chicken. 6ft 8 and can't get a foot of the ground. Plus he's prone to injury.

I was referring to the fact that there has probably been numerous times when scouts have took one look and not returned.

I saw him play against the shite a few years back and he looked awesome and I was really excited when he came over.

I don't understand how you think he's awful.

His performance may not have been the best but he scored and was his first game in this country. There's a player there trust me.

Watch some youtube videos of him, he's certainly not awful.