IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Martinez brought in 9 players with first team intentions last season.

I'm not sure we will see that many this time, as unless someone leaves, we don't need another 9. Plus, from some of the things he has been saying, we will see more young players in the first team. So maybe 5 or 6 newbies plus some promoted youth.

I have no worries at all. It will all come out once he returns from his world cup commentary, having chatted up a load of targets!

Top striker is our priority, after that I don't see much left to spend. However the loan market is again going to be crucial. Hopefully the relationship with Barcelona will bare fruit again.

2 strikers: 1 permanent, 1 loan

1 central midfielder: permanent or loan

1 wide player: permanent or loan

1 RB: permanent

If we get 3 of those at good quality, I'd be very happy. For me it's quality over quantity because those 3 loanees last year were very top end players. Replace like for like and we will do well. If we fail to replace quality with quality I see us having a long season.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to get a bit concerned over our lack of activity while others are picking off the best players.

There's no way we can keep pace with The top 4 and united on spending we are just going to be blown away even though we have money.

No need to be. The 'best' players being signed are well out of our price range anyway. We have to wait for the big spenders to buy their top targets, then like vultures go after their cast offs!

Really need to make a signing now. Premier league starts in over a month and at the moment we're 3 loan players down from last year and we're in the Europa. Plus it does my head in seeing Liverpool signing all these players before pre-season even starts. Origi and Markovic today to add to Lambert, Lallana and Can. Obviously seen Origi at the WC and he's useful but not really seen Markovic. Any good?

Really need to make a signing now. Premier league starts in over a month and at the moment we're 3 loan players down from last year and we're in the Europa. Plus it does my head in seeing Liverpool signing all these players before pre-season even starts. Origi and Markovic today to add to Lambert, Lallana and Can. Obviously seen Origi at the WC and he's useful but not really seen Markovic. Any good?

Liverpool are signing players the way Spurs did before selling Bale. This will set off the merry go round. Martinez will have his targets and they will have had contact with repsective clubs.

Its not like we are sitting on our hands, there are things to consider.

remember when we were linked with negredo a couple times in the past and moyes went for him. negredo did the old "i don't want to go to everton" routine and stayed put in spain until man city came calling.

i don't think he's coming here or is even available. if anything i think jovetic would go. dzeko, aguero, negredo is an amazing strike force.

Alot has been written about targets and lack of signings etc. which I understand as a fan but at the end of the day I always go back to one thing. Roberto Martinez is our manager. I have the utmost faith in him to produce a successful transfer window, whether that happens July 14th or August 31st I don't particularly care. He refuses to overpay and I admire that about him. Here's a glimpse at his Wigan transfer history that will hopefully calm some folks down:

In a four year period he made the following signings:

09/10: Diame, McCarthy (1m rising to 5m), V Moses 2.5m, J Gomez 1.7m he also sold cattermole for 6m and l.a. valencia for 16m

10/11: DiSanto 2m, J McArthur, Boselli 6.5m, Alcaraz Free

11/12: Al Habsi 4m, Maloney 1m, Beausejour 3m he also sold nzogbia for 9.5m

12/13: I Ramis 5m, A Kone 2.7m, Espinoza free he also sold v moses for 9m

Last year he bought McCarthy for 13m and most went crazy. By December that looked like an invaluable addition at a great price.

Boselli is the only huge miss, which for a club like wigan is a big statement. I realize those players are not great players but they kept wigan in the premier league for 3-4 more years than they should have been. Others can/will have their doubts but until Roberto's track record changes significantly I will back every signing wholeheartedly and I will be patient if he waits until deadline day.