IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Alot has been written about targets and lack of signings etc. which I understand as a fan but at the end of the day I always go back to one thing. Roberto Martinez is our manager. I have the utmost faith in him to produce a successful transfer window, whether that happens July 14th or August 31st I don't particularly care. He refuses to overpay and I admire that about him. Here's a glimpse at his Wigan transfer history that will hopefully calm some folks down:

In a four year period he made the following signings:

09/10: Diame, McCarthy (1m rising to 5m), V Moses 2.5m, J Gomez 1.7m he also sold cattermole for 6m and l.a. valencia for 16m

10/11: DiSanto 2m, J McArthur, Boselli 6.5m, Alcaraz Free

11/12: Al Habsi 4m, Maloney 1m, Beausejour 3m he also sold nzogbia for 9.5m

12/13: I Ramis 5m, A Kone 2.7m, Espinoza free he also sold v moses for 9m

Last year he bought McCarthy for 13m and most went crazy. By December that looked like an invaluable addition at a great price.

Boselli is the only huge miss, which for a club like wigan is a big statement. I realize those players are not great players but they kept wigan in the premier league for 3-4 more years than they should have been. Others can/will have their doubts but until Roberto's track record changes significantly I will back every signing wholeheartedly and I will be patient if he waits until deadline day.

Yeh Boselli is a strange one. I watched him a Carling Cup game and he was actually pretty good. Scored a couple of nice goals and his general play was decent too. I dont really know what went wrong as looking at his record he has scored at a decent rate at most clubs but I guess he just didnt enjoy living in England.

Alot has been written about targets and lack of signings etc. which I understand as a fan but at the end of the day I always go back to one thing. Roberto Martinez is our manager. I have the utmost faith in him to produce a successful transfer window, whether that happens July 14th or August 31st I don't particularly care. He refuses to overpay and I admire that about him. Here's a glimpse at his Wigan transfer history that will hopefully calm some folks down:

In a four year period he made the following signings:

09/10: Diame, McCarthy (1m rising to 5m), V Moses 2.5m, J Gomez 1.7m he also sold cattermole for 6m and l.a. valencia for 16m

10/11: DiSanto 2m, J McArthur, Boselli 6.5m, Alcaraz Free

11/12: Al Habsi 4m, Maloney 1m, Beausejour 3m he also sold nzogbia for 9.5m

12/13: I Ramis 5m, A Kone 2.7m, Espinoza free he also sold v moses for 9m

Last year he bought McCarthy for 13m and most went crazy. By December that looked like an invaluable addition at a great price.

Boselli is the only huge miss, which for a club like wigan is a big statement. I realize those players are not great players but they kept wigan in the premier league for 3-4 more years than they should have been. Others can/will have their doubts but until Roberto's track record changes significantly I will back every signing wholeheartedly and I will be patient if he waits until deadline day.

Dave Whelan deserves a medal for getting someone to pay 6m for Lee Cattermole. My word.

Matija Nastasic's apparently surplus to requirements at City. Struggled a bit last season but was excellent the year before & still only 21. Left footed so possible long term replacement for the milkman? Fee & wages would obviously be restrictive but the idea of him & Stonesy as our CB pairing for years to come sounds pretty exciting to me! Thoughts?

Matija Nastasic's apparently surplus to requirements at City. Struggled a bit last season but was excellent the year before & still only 21. Left footed so possible long term replacement for the milkman? Fee & wages would obviously be restrictive but the idea of him & Stonesy as our CB pairing for years to come sounds pretty exciting to me! Thoughts?

If wages aren't ridiculous yes

A lot of talk about strikers, but personally think it's out wide we need to add a body or two.

Mirallas is just a class act and we should be looking to add that type of player to the squad again.

Deulofeu - back at Barca

Pienaar - ageing (for me still good enough)

Mcgeady - jury's out

We definitely need at least one wide player. Preferably 2.

Edited by MiguelCotto

I personally think McGeady is going to be a key player this season

He has more than enough ability decent pace and can beat a man his fitness and final ball were the only issue's last season but a lack of football would be the likely cause of both.

I rate Pienaar but I don't think he's a starter now if we are trying to push on I'd like to see him used centrally where I think he'd be better suited now.

I'd like to see another winger brought in though as I think Mirallas could do a job upfront if needed as a second striker and then use McGeady and Oviedo on either side plus with the increase in games it is a position that needs a bit of strengthening unless one or two of the young lads impress in pre season

Edited by EFC-Paul

Guest blueboy122

For me Mirrallas just isn't a winger.

He can play that position don't get me wrong but I would prefer to see him more central in a 4-2-3-1.

He could play anywhere in that 3 behind the striker.

I just don't like him playing out wide. He's such a quality player I want to see him effect the game more rather than being stuck out on the wing.

We need to get to work on these signings, from what I make it this is the sort of first team minus yougsters we've got so far this season:

GK
Tim Howard
Joel

DR
Hibbert
Coleman

DL
Baines
Ovideo

DC
Jagielka
Distin
Stones
Alcaraz
Duffy

MC
Gibson
McCarthey
Osman
Barry

AMC
Barkley

AML
Pienaar

AMR
Mirallas

ST
Kone
Naismith

To me we need to bring in at least the following:

1 x CB
2 x CM
3 x Wingers
2 x Strikers

Minimum.

Hopefully we've got Besic on his way which rumoured to be £4m seems a bargain. However, 2 x strikers could cost an arm and a leg. With the amount
of players we need to bring in I really can't see us spending £20m+ on Lukaku and to be honest, as much as I love him, maybe it would make more
sense to spend £10m on a half decent proven Prem striker (such as Ba, Kalou) and take a gamble on a £5m or £6m unproven young foreign striker? That leaves us a bit more money to spend on a couple of half decent wingers and centre midfielders.

Or we need to get a couple of unreal loan signings to help the situation.

I really am worried for next season. Not meaning to put a dampner on things but I have a horrible feeling we're going to struggle. Martinez has said our targets are identified so where are they? I understand it's not just as simple as that but we don 't seem to be linked with hardly anyone (seriously anyway) and the club is silent. Other teams are getting their targets in nice and early we have no one (except Barry) no pre season sorted and we can't even get the fucking socks to the club shop on the day the kits released!

I really do wonder who the fuck is running our club at times.

I'll say it again, there are 6 weeks of the transfer window to go, players and manager are only just back from holidays and the WC. Why is everyone else getting so worried when our best business was done in the final 12 hours last season!

Because if we know our targets it makes sense to get them in nice and early if we had of last season it could have given us a better start so I for one was hoping we would have learnt from this. I don't buy into this "its a world cup year" bollocks, lots and lots of players have been the world cup and returned and moved to new club Kroos announced it straight after the final came back and signed. Yes I know we're not Madrid and don 't have their clout but we're also not trying to sign players of his calibre! Weat Ham have snapped Valencia up another of our reported targets gone, Ba agent has just said he had agreed terms with us but Besiktas came in last minute and took him, why is this happening? Why can't we be aggressive in the market just for once? It's because we try and wrangle every last penny out of a deal and that at times costs us.

I really am worried for next season. Not meaning to put a dampner on things but I have a horrible feeling we're going to struggle. Martinez has said our targets are identified so where are they? I understand it's not just as simple as that but we don 't seem to be linked with hardly anyone (seriously anyway) and the club is silent. Other teams are getting their targets in nice and early we have no one (except Barry) no pre season sorted and we can't even get the fucking socks to the club shop on the day the kits released!

I really do wonder who the fuck is running our club at times.

Did anyone have a clue we were bringing in Deulofeu before it was announced? No. Did anyone have even a hint ahead of time that we were recruiting Lukaku? No. Was there anything in the press about Everton loaning Barry ahead of time? No. The fact that there were loans and not buys is irrelevant. Real business is conducted behind closed doors and not in public. What appears in the papers is designed to sell those papers to the gullible - full stop.

Did anyone have a clue we were bringing in Deulofeu before it was announced? No. Did anyone have even a hint ahead of time that we were recruiting Lukaku? No. Was there anything in the press about Everton loaning Barry ahead of time? No. The fact that there were loans and not buys is irrelevant. Real business is conducted behind closed doors and not in public. What appears in the papers is designed to sell those papers to the gullible - full stop.

Steve I know this, I'm not gullible enough to think that if we were linked with players in the papers we will sugn someone. But there is no smoke without fire, there's nothing coming from the club, all the other clubs have been forthcoming with the fans and announced expected deals and kept them in the loop where as we get nothing , just a wall of silence while everyone else seems to snap up the odd player we are linked with.

Barry had been linked by the press. I went into meltdown remember? And there was talk of Deulofeu before it happened too. Nothing about Lukaku til just before it happened though.

Barry had been linked by the press. I went into meltdown remember? And there was talk of Deulofeu before it happened too. Nothing about Lukaku til just before it happened though.

But the point is that 99% of the rumours quoted in the press are off the mark - made up or speculation or next door neighbour's aunt's dustman's sister's hairstylist lives nextdoor to someone, or deliberate lie leaked by a club to raise someone's price. When I negotiate contracts, it is always done behind closed doors. Competitors play games by releasing misleading statements, but that's just a distraction. To get the best deals, you keep things quiet.

Plus we're a little over two weeks into the transfer window. Two weeks! That's less than a quarter of the way through. Why all the panic? Again, it's the press taking advantage.

our own Mirallas linked us with him before the press did ;)

Steve I know this, I'm not gullible enough to think that if we were linked with players in the papers we will sugn someone. But there is no smoke without fire, there's nothing coming from the club, all the other clubs have been forthcoming with the fans and announced expected deals and kept them in the loop where as we get nothing , just a wall of silence while everyone else seems to snap up the odd player we are linked with.

The club have kept the fans informed. Martinez has publicly made clear a few times his strategy and expectations for this window. But, if he or the club were to say "we're going to buy player-X", then that player's price immediately goes up a few million. The moneybags' clubs like to feed their egos by announcing their targets and then buying them, as if they have the power to get anyone they want, but they pay over the odds when they do that. And some (thinking United) make fools of themselves when they fail to bring in their targets.

If United had kept things quiet, I'm sure they would have paid 3m less for Fellaini. Having set expectations in public, however, they either had to pay us more than his value or let everyone down.

Edited by Cornish Steve

For reference, as of 7/17 on the website soccernews.com transfer funds spent look like this:

Arsenal: 44m euros (only includes A Sanchez)

Chelsea: 78m euros

Hull City: 18.1m euros plus Ince's fee to be added on

Liverpool: 73m euros

MCity: 23m euros

MUtd: 70m euros

Newcastle: 27.2m euros

West Ham: 17.5m euros plus Zarate and Poyet

Everton: 0.

For reference, as of 7/17 on the website soccernews.com transfer funds spent look like this:

Arsenal: 44m euros (only includes A Sanchez)

Chelsea: 78m euros

Hull City: 18.1m euros plus Ince's fee to be added on

Liverpool: 73m euros

MCity: 23m euros

MUtd: 70m euros

Newcastle: 27.2m euros

West Ham: 17.5m euros plus Zarate and Poyet

Everton: 0.

soooooo?

Because if we know our targets it makes sense to get them in nice and early if we had of last season it could have given us a better start so I for one was hoping we would have learnt from this. I don't buy into this "its a world cup year" bollocks, lots and lots of players have been the world cup and returned and moved to new club Kroos announced it straight after the final came back and signed. Yes I know we're not Madrid and don 't have their clout but we're also not trying to sign players of his calibre! Weat Ham have snapped Valencia up another of our reported targets gone, Ba agent has just said he had agreed terms with us but Besiktas came in last minute and took him, why is this happening? Why can't we be aggressive in the market just for once? It's because we try and wrangle every last penny out of a deal and that at times costs us.

I'm not sure that is true. Just because we know our targets doesn't mean they are available on July 17th. Given our financial situation we need to be patient to get the best deal, that isnt changing any time soon. Last year, Barca, MCity and Chelsea brought in players in August making Deulofeu, Barry and Lukaku surplus for the season, we swooped in.

The same thing will happen this year...we will wait out Van Gaal and see what he wants to do with Cleverly, we could be waiting for MCity to sign an English player so that they can let Rodwell go etc. Just because we know our targets doesn't mean they are available right now. And I like that about Roberto, if everyone he wanted was available in July we wouldn't be able to challenge for 4th place.

I'm not sure that is true. Just because we know our targets doesn't mean they are available on July 17th. Given our financial situation we need to be patient to get the best deal, that isnt changing any time soon. Last year, Barca, MCity and Chelsea brought in players in August making Deulofeu, Barry and Lukaku surplus for the season, we swooped in.

The same thing will happen this year...we will wait out Van Gaal and see what he wants to do with Cleverly, we could be waiting for MCity to sign an English player so that they can let Rodwell go etc. Just because we know our targets doesn't mean they are available right now. And I like that about Roberto, if everyone he wanted was available in July we wouldn't be able to challenge for 4th place.

spot on. just good business sense.

I'm with Cornish Steve here.

Everton have a habit of going about things nice and quiet. Publicly stating your targets is both disrespectful to the owning club and can inflate the price.

It's frustrating only because we get excited by new signings like kids at Christmas. But I like the way we do things.

Really looking forward to the 'surprises'.

I'll say it again, there are 6 weeks of the transfer window to go, players and manager are only just back from holidays and the WC. Why is everyone else getting so worried when our best business was done in the final 12 hours last season!

Because we have so many voids to fill for next season. And on top of that the players need pre season to play together...