IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

Are you guys planning on having a single mega thread dedicated to the competition? Or is a small sub-forum going to be created for it?

I think a dedicated section would keep the site tidier and more flexible for discussion over the tournament. It's not my site, I'm just throwing out a suggestion.

Are you guys planning on having a single mega thread dedicated to the competition? Or is a small sub-forum going to be created for it?

I think a dedicated section would keep the site tidier and more flexible for discussion over the tournament. It's not my site, I'm just throwing out a suggestion.

This one will probably be it now mate.

Fair play man.

Do you do the fantasy games?

Bill, then me, has setup an OzTips before, score prediction. Blocked at work for the moment but will have a look at home over the weekend and set one up. Will use a separate thread, leave this one as the general tournament chat

Guest Nikica

Bill, then me, has setup an OzTips before, score prediction. Blocked at work for the moment but will have a look at home over the weekend and set one up. Will use a separate thread, leave this one as the general tournament chat

Thanks mate. I'm certainly interested in different types of games as I like that sort of thing during major tournaments.

Guest Nikica

who are you all liking for the tournament? i will always cheer for England but they sadly always break my heart. Brazil hasn't played to their level for a while and being they are the host country i can see them winning the thing

I have a feeling the pressure will get to Brazil, but then again they're formidable on home soil. Their squad isn't as good as it used to be but I guess that goes for many of the nations competing.

I fancy Colombia and Argentina to do well. Japan to do best from Asia. All of the African teams look fairly weak. I think Bosnia could spring a surprise and make the QF. I also fancy Chile to qualify from their group and eliminate either Spain or Holland, probably the latter.

Germany should be european favorites, and they'll usually involved in the latter stages, and Argentina should be the one to watch overseas. I think the pressure and hype of Brazil as host nation could be their downfall, and they've been disappointing the last few years, so either one of the other aforementioned names to take the biggest prize in world soccer. Would like The Netherlands to do well maybe, as they've come so close to winning the World Cup a number of times and always lost out at the final event so maybe this year could be their time. Planning to get out of the country during time of competition, it's always unbearable with the fucking media during event when you're not english and all the shit it entails. They've got some tough games in their group but feel they should get through but can't look beyond Germany or Argentina as eventual winners this time.

Guest Nikica

I'm optimistic the us will make it out of their group. Beat Ghana, draw Portugal, lost to Germany and hope Portugal loses to Ghana.

Yeah, I meant the African teams are poor with the exception of Ghana. I don't see why Ghana or the USA can't qualify because Portugal are pretty average really.

Always follow Italy. Proper tournament team. I think a South American side will win it though. Probably Brazil being at home and all that.

Yeah, Italy always know what they're doing in tournaments. However, like Germany, they have to play a few 1pm local time kick-offs in the heat of the North East.

Germany should be european favorites, and they'll usually involved in the latter stages, and Argentina should be the one to watch overseas. I think the pressure and hype of Brazil as host nation could be their downfall, and they've been disappointing the last few years, so either one of the other aforementioned names to take the biggest prize in world soccer. Would like The Netherlands to do well maybe, as they've come so close to winning the World Cup a number of times and always lost out at the final event so maybe this year could be their time. Planning to get out of the country during time of competition, it's always unbearable with the fucking media during event when you're not english and all the shit it entails. They've got some tough games in their group but feel they should get through but can't look beyond Germany or Argentina as eventual winners this time.

Germany are a good shout but, like Italy, they have a few early kick-offs I believe. Players who play in Brazil's domestic football have said that playing at 1pm local time in the North west of the country is 'inhumane' and should never have been considered for the tournament. So we will probably see some lax games all because FIFA are pricks who care more about TV scheduling than quality of football and the players' safety.

Argentina on the other hand - if they top their section as they should - will play the entire tournament without a single early game up North East in the tropics. I believe they have two 1pm kick offs but they are both played in the South east, so they will likely play in pleasant conditions against relatively modest opposition until the quarters or even semis. The draw has been very kind to them.

Edited by Nikica

Yeah, I meant the African teams are poor with the exception of Ghana. I don't see why Ghana or the USA can't qualify because Portugal are pretty average really.

Yeah, Italy always know what they're doing in tournaments. However, like Germany, they have to play a few 1pm local time kick-offs in the heat of the North East.

Germany are a good shout but, like Italy, they have a few early kick-offs I believe. Players who play in Brazil's domestic football have said that playing at 1pm local time in the North west of the country is 'inhumane' and should never have been considered for the tournament. So we will probably see some lax games all because FIFA are pricks who care more about TV scheduling than quality of football and the players' safety.

Argentina on the other hand - if they top their section as they should - will play the entire tournament without a single early game up North East in the tropics. I believe they have two 1pm kick offs but they are both played in the South east, so they will likely play in pleasant conditions against relatively modest opposition until the quarters or even semis. The draw has been very kind to them.

What's it like north of the border when the english play in an international tournament ? Do the scots follow progress (on TV) and root for the opposition, or not even tune in or follow events ?

Guest Nikica

What's it like north of the border when the english play in an international tournament ? Do the scots follow progress (on TV) and root for the opposition, or not even tune in or follow events ?

Most Scots who are into football (including myself) are the type who are as heavily into world/European football as they are their own clubs, if not more so.

In that respect lots of us watch the entirety of these tournaments. We would never turn off just because England were playing - there are far too many exciting teams at competitions to do that.

I consider myself an 'ABE' for these tournaments, simply because of the English media's arrogance (which transmits itself to many of the fans who believe everything the likes of Sky tell them). I like to see England lose to bring them back down to earth.

However, don't confuse this with anti-English sentiment. I have gotten on well with all the English people I have met, and many Scottish people are cunts anyway. There's no patriotism from my end and I welcome English people to Scotland, but my view is that England need to be taught a lesson as they constantly think they can win tournaments they have no realistic chance of being victorious in. They also denigrate other teams into the bargain (see the comments prior to the Germany game in SA).

The media has been more muted this year, but I think that's because the national team has got so bad that it's become virtually impossible to glorify it. If England start the tournament well I expect the media to go back to its old ways.

The English guys on here (whom comprise most of the site) are sound guys and give the impression that they are realistic football fans, so if England do poorly there will be no rubbing it in from me. I will also analyse England in an objective way - if they do well, I will praise the facets of their game which deserve it. If they do poorly, I will constructively criticise. The only exception to this 'no mocking' rule will be if one of the players I dislike (Cole, Gerrard, Rooney), does something laughable a la Gerrard's slip last week. However, that will be teasing of the player more than the team.

So yeah. I want England to lose for the above reasons, despite liking English people on the whole. But I will call it as I see it.

As for the rest of Scotland - I think most revel in England's misfortune. However, some do it in a horrible bigoted way, and that just isn't right.

It's all the hype and frenzy that I can't abide. Fair enough if the english were a decent world nation that could prove a genuine threat to opposition sides, but all the usual sub-standard news publications blow it out of all proportion. In all probability they won't get beyond the last eight again but how often do we see the eventual winners being far from deserving champions. Could add more, but pressed for time today.

Phil Jones has left OT in a sling for a shoulder injury... if Stones isn't already on Hodgson's mind for Brazil then he must be now - at least in the 30 to have a look at.

Edit... oopps, prob should be in the England thread rather than World Cup. Mods please feel free to move this.

Edited by c1982

Phil Jones has left OT in a sling for a shoulder injury... if Stones isn't already on Hodgson's mind for Brazil then he must be now - at least in the 30 to have a look at.

Edit... oopps, prob should be in the England thread rather than World Cup. Mods please feel free to move this.

If Hodgson was true to his word about form then Jones shouldn't have even been in his thoughts in the first place. That's what's annoying.

He's repeatedly said that he's known his squad for ages and is looking over a 2 year period rather than a late surge. Although it's been a good few months now that Stones has been awesome, and Roy's hand may be forced to be a bit more adventurous if the injuries keep piling up. I hope he does take Stones

He's repeatedly said that he's known his squad for ages and is looking over a 2 year period rather than a late surge. Although it's been a good few months now that Stones has been awesome, and Roy's hand may be forced to be a bit more adventurous if the injuries keep piling up. I hope he does take Stones

Why bother saying he was only going to take players who were showing good form if he was infact judging over a 2 year period? I think he's changed his tune simply because of the season United have had so that he doesn't get criticised when he picks a few of their players.

Why bother saying he was only going to take players who were showing good form if he was infact judging over a 2 year period? I think he's changed his tune simply because of the season United have had so that he doesn't get criticised when he picks a few of their players.

Definitely, I agree with you. I think he was setting out his reasoning and justifications for taking as many of the old guard as possible. Lampard for example, I don't think he should go but I bet he will

brazil and germany announced so far. no kaka for brazil, they've got fred and jo leading the line. should be interesting. i do like that they have a good number of brazil based players. also no coutinho, stupid RS overrated.

Jo?! Another we couldve had but wasnt used correctly whilst on loan.

Coutinho is a brilliant player, Brazil a bit daft not taking him in my opinion

Guest blueboy122

brazil and germany announced so far. no kaka for brazil, they've got fred and jo leading the line. should be interesting. i do like that they have a good number of brazil based players. also no coutinho, stupid RS overrated.

They only have four Mark which is shocking really.

Couthinio is a brilliant little player to be fair. How he couldn't get in the inter Milan team is a joke.

Guest blueboy122

Jo?! Another we couldve had but wasnt used correctly whilst on loan.

Coutinho is a brilliant player, Brazil a bit daft not taking him in my opinion

To be honest Jo was never a premier league player far to much of a fairy. He had technical ability but didn't have pace or strength. I am sure Jo looked great on the training ground but he was to easy to play against as he couldn't offer much of a threat in my opinion.

Guest blueboy122

To be fair just looked at the Brazil squad.

Couthiniho wouldn't get in it for me either which midfielder would you take out for him?

None of them for me.

Gonna do the panini world cup sticker album for my son, he's only approaching 5 months but it will be ace to be able to give it for him to keep. Gutted that Barkley isn't showing on the England squad (Cole, Andros Townsend are).

Loved doing Panini sticker books when I was a kid, loved the smell of the stickers the lot, immedialtely opening the pack as soon as I walked outside the shop.