IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

It is a huge surprise. He's still our best player, and everyone I've talked to about it is understandably pissed, especially when you look at the others who made the roster. Klinsmann is an idiot.

I'm surprised that he took a German fourth division player ahead of him.

I was pretty damn shocked and am still upset about it. Sure he has been out of form for a bit now, but so was Dempsey until a couple of weeks ago and his slump was worst. At the end of the day I think about it this way, we're tied against Ghana or losing by a goal to Portugal and it's the 70th minute. We need a goal, who would I want coming into the game as a supersub, Julian Green (the 4th division Bundesliga player Louis brough up who furthermore looked like he pissed his pants when playing against Mexico in a friendly in his only cap appearance for us)? Brad Davis who is 32 years old, has under 20 caps for us and hasn't scored a goal (and also probably won't play a single minute)? Or the greatest (or 2nd greatest) player this country has produced that has scored more goals than anyone in its history and has also scored goals in the big stage?

I am biased since I am also a Galaxy fan and I do understand the fact that it's important to play the youth. Furthermore if we get swept out of our group and lose each game by 3+ goals, then fair enough. But if the above situation plays out, then a lot of people will be calling for JK's head, including myself. Sorry but I've been ranting about this all day/night and am still quite bitter about it. He's also my 2nd favorite player ever (behind O Fenomeno) and didn't actually think he'd be cut.

I completely disagree. Dempsey is our best player and has the stats (3rd in prem scoring last Fulham season) to back it up.

Donovan is old and took time off an hasn't scored since December. He's in a slump, can barely train due to his age and body wear, and has himself admitted to being out of form and old and publicly said a bench role would be fine.

But instead of confining him to the bench, Juergen is looking to the future with young talent. I applaud that. Julian green, Fabian Johnson, chandler, brooks, yedlin, diskeruud, Johannson, etc are all players who will be playing in 2018 World Cup. We are in the group of death and expectations Are low, why not do the youth movement and go all in for 2018? I love it.

Only thing I didn't like is Terrance Boyd (20 goals in Austrian bundesliga) didn't make the cut. He's young and scores (unlike Jozy altidore) and I want to see him more.

Jurgen's son "RT @jonklinsmann HHAHAHAHA DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA"

What were the Klinsmanns talking about around the dinner table?

Why on Earth would you bring Davis over Donovan? Dempsey's stats are nowhere near Donovan when looking purely at numbers. Yes, Dempsey had one good spell at Fulham and an okay run at Spurs, but Donovan is all time leading assister/goal-scorer (~50/57)for the USMNT. He's also tied for all time scoring for MLS with about 134 goals. Dempsey isn't even close.

The age argument I just don't get. Dempsey, 30; Beckerman, 32; Davis, 31; Wondo, 31.

Can you really sit there and tell me Wondo and Davis will offer more than Donovan? Highly doubtful.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Jurgen's son "RT @jonklinsmann HHAHAHAHA DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA"

What were the Klinsmanns talking about around the dinner table?

Why on Earth would you bring Davis over Donovan? Dempsey's stats are nowhere near Donovan when looking purely at numbers. Yes, Dempsey had one good spell at Fulham and an okay run at Spurs, but Donovan is all time leading assister/goal-scorer (~50/57)for the USMNT. He's also tied for all time scoring for MLS with about 134 goals. Dempsey isn't even close.

The age argument I just don't get. Dempsey, 30; Beckerman, 32; Davis, 31; Wondo, 31.

Can you really sit there and tell me Wondo and Davis will offer more than Donovan? Highly doubtful.

landon played for the MLS, scoring against aging european players, american college players, and central american has beens. dempsey played in the premier league against the best in the world. he played in the europa league final, he was 3rd one year in premier league scoring (that's overall). that's why he's the captain, cause JK sees a real player, not a big fish beating up the minnows. Donovan did OK with everton and terrible with bayer leverkusen. look i like the guy and think he's a good player, but he's old and his form is terrible.

clint's form is hitting now, that's all that matters. read some JK interviews, he's all about guys hitting form now. that's why brad evans is out as well, he's out of form and hasn't been doing well.

wondo is a striker, different position, beckerman is a DM, different position. the reason davis got chosen is because he's a lefty, donovan usually plays wide right or central attacking midfielder. this isn't brazil 78 when you just throw out your 11 best players, you need tactical players that work in your formation. landon on the left doesn't work. davis won't play anyways. you'll see zusi and bedoya on the right, dempsey in the AM position, and fabian johnson out left, with Diskeruud coming off the bench for dempsey. jozy will start and you'll see wondo/AJ come off the bench for him.

honestly i would rather see Mixx or Zusi/bedoya come on as a sub (in the positions LD plays) than Landon. just my opinion.

landon played for the MLS, scoring against aging european players, american college players, and central american has beens. dempsey played in the premier league against the best in the world. he played in the europa league final, he was 3rd one year in premier league scoring (that's overall). that's why he's the captain, cause JK sees a real player, not a big fish beating up the minnows. Donovan did OK with everton and terrible with bayer leverkusen. look i like the guy and think he's a good player, but he's old and his form is terrible.

clint's form is hitting now, that's all that matters. read some JK interviews, he's all about guys hitting form now. that's why brad evans is out as well, he's out of form and hasn't been doing well.

wondo is a striker, different position, beckerman is a DM, different position. the reason davis got chosen is because he's a lefty, donovan usually plays wide right or central attacking midfielder. this isn't brazil 78 when you just throw out your 11 best players, you need tactical players that work in your formation. landon on the left doesn't work. davis won't play anyways. you'll see zusi and bedoya on the right, dempsey in the AM position, and fabian johnson out left, with Diskeruud coming off the bench for dempsey. jozy will start and you'll see wondo/AJ come off the bench for him.

honestly i would rather see Mixx or Zusi/bedoya come on as a sub (in the positions LD plays) than Landon. just my opinion.

Yeah, Juergen's all about form. That's why he brought Julian Green.

Regardless of who you think is better between Donovan and Dempsey, they're not fighting for the same spot. Donovan had always been good for the USMNT.

I also find it pretty hypocritical that you can argue that Boyd deserves to go when he scored 20 goals in the Austrian league, which isn't even on the same level as MLS.

I'm really sick of the American eurosnobs.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Yeah, Juergen's all about form. That's why he brought Julian Green.

Regardless of who you think is better between Donovan and Dempsey, they're not fighting for the same spot. Donovan had always been good for the USMNT.

I also find it pretty hypocritical that you can argue that Boyd deserves to go when he scored 20 goals in the Austrian league, which isn't even on the same level as MLS.

I'm really sick of the American eurosnobs.

julian green is the future of american soccer, of course we should bring him! remember your dear landon was at a WC when he was 18, same thing!

Boyd is young and talented, sure the austrian league is a step down from the top euro leagues, but he plays year in and out in the Europa league against top competition as well. AND HE'S YOUNG, i think you're forgetting, LD won't be around next world cup. Green, Boyd, etc will be around. they need experience and playing time and a vote of confidence.

i may be a eurosnob or maybe i just appreciate good players. robbie keane could barely hack it at villa and spurs before he came to MLS, he's the best MLS player for the past 3 years. bradley wright phillips was a D2 or D3 england player who is tearing it up this year. I actually like MLS, i lived in LA and follow the galaxy. But i'm not foolish enough to think the competition level is high there.

Either way, its strange Donovan isnt going. Even if he isnt the in the best shape of his career, hes been a poster boy for a while so brings a recognized face but more importantly would be good to have to inspire the team when theyre down considering his experience

julian green is the future of american soccer, of course we should bring him! remember your dear landon was at a WC when he was 18, same thing!

Boyd is young and talented, sure the austrian league is a step down from the top euro leagues, but he plays year in and out in the Europa league against top competition as well. AND HE'S YOUNG, i think you're forgetting, LD won't be around next world cup. Green, Boyd, etc will be around. they need experience and playing time and a vote of confidence.

i may be a eurosnob or maybe i just appreciate good players. robbie keane could barely hack it at villa and spurs before he came to MLS, he's the best MLS player for the past 3 years. bradley wright phillips was a D2 or D3 england player who is tearing it up this year. I actually like MLS, i lived in LA and follow the galaxy. But i'm not foolish enough to think the competition level is high there.

By your logic, Dempsey, Beckerman, Wondo, Howard, Davis shouldn't be at the world cup, nor any MLS players.

I'm just amazed that people are already saying Green is the future of American soccer when he's barely played for Bayern and has about 30 mins for the US. Donovan and Green aren't even comparable at 18 because Donovan was actually playing at 18.

Freddy Adu anyone?

Either way, its strange Donovan isnt going. Even if he isnt the in the best shape of his career, hes been a poster boy for a while so brings a recognized face but more importantly would be good to have to inspire the team when theyre down considering his experience

speaking of posters….

http://espnmediazone.com/us/photos/galleries/2014/05/02/2014-fifa-world-cup-international-posters/#photo-34

our very own tim howard is on the US one :)

I understand looking towards the future, but this the best squad depth we've had EVER. Why are we throwing it away for 2018 already (if Russia/West don't get their shit together, will it even happen)?

I tell you, if we crash and burn at the WC, American soccer fandom will take a hit.

Donovan > Davis; Boyd > Wondo. Those are the only two changes I'd make.

I understand looking towards the future, but this the best squad depth we've had EVER. Why are we throwing it away for 2018 already (if Russia/West don't get their shit together, will it even happen)?

I tell you, if we crash and burn at the WC, American soccer fandom will take a hit.

Donovan > Davis; Boyd > Wondo. Those are the only two changes I'd make.

Have other experienced players been left off the squad or is it just Donovan? That bleacher report writer sounds very sensationalist and he doesn't really mention any of the other players that have been left off. If it's just Donovan, then surely you're not throwing any chance at the World Cup away. I'm reading that apparently he isn't in peak physical condition? That would probably be enough to put Klinsmann off, add to that the climate in Brazil which will make it even harder to compete at the best of your abilities. Perhaps Klinsmann simply rates those unexperienced players more highly and already knew that he would have other players ahead of Donovan in the pecking order. So perhaps he was concerned about Donovan's attitude (and the effects that would have on team spirit and media attention during the Cup) if he brings on Green and has Donovan sit on the bench for 90 minutes.

Have other experienced players been left off the squad or is it just Donovan? That bleacher report writer sounds very sensationalist and he doesn't really mention any of the other players that have been left off. If it's just Donovan, then surely you're not throwing any chance at the World Cup away. I'm reading that apparently he isn't in peak physical condition? That would probably be enough to put Klinsmann off, add to that the climate in Brazil which will make it even harder to compete at the best of your abilities. Perhaps Klinsmann simply rates those unexperienced players more highly and already knew that he would have other players ahead of Donovan in the pecking order. So perhaps he was concerned about Donovan's attitude (and the effects that would have on team spirit and media attention during the Cup) if he brings on Green and has Donovan sit on the bench for 90 minutes.

I definitely see where you're coming from, and Donovan was the only high profile player left off the list. My disgust has more to do with who is being brought instead. Wondo and Davis are not cut out for the national level, IMO.

Donovan is not the player he used to be, but he is still a figurehead and his skill-set hasn't detoriated to the point where Davis(32) is a better player. Donovan is also way more versatile -- a perfect attacking sub. He's one of the few recognizable names that Americans who don't follow the sport recognize.

And Donovan already publically stated he understands he might be confined to a bench role, and he accepted it with grace.

No, Donovan will not win the WC on his own for us, but he has that ability to change the game with one play.

Wonder if Klinsmann is doing what Germany did 10 years or so ago and dropped a load of seasoned players for the youth players. Maybe its a long term project?

Sounds plausible. His contract was extended to 2018 right after groups were announced.

I pretty much agree with everyone that has said he would be an ideal attacking sub to have off the bench. I can now see that JK never favored him and had no plans to take him when he said he'd only consider Donovan as a forward and not as a midfielder. On a pinch, he can slot in any position on the midfield, especially if a goal is needed. If it was age, then why take Davis and Wondo who are about 32 and 31 respectively. If it was form, why take Julian Green who again, looks like he shat himself playing against Mexico in a friendly. I know I'm repeating myself a bit but I definitely think there was an agenda to an extent against him.

I pretty much agree with everyone that has said he would be an ideal attacking sub to have off the bench. I can now see that JK never favored him and had no plans to take him when he said he'd only consider Donovan as a forward and not as a midfielder. On a pinch, he can slot in any position on the midfield, especially if a goal is needed. If it was age, then why take Davis and Wondo who are about 32 and 31 respectively. If it was form, why take Julian Green who again, looks like he shat himself playing against Mexico in a friendly. I know I'm repeating myself a bit but I definitely think there was an agenda to an extent against him.

EXACTLY THIS.

I'm thinking of having one bet for the World Cup this summer and it will probably trying to predict the two countries that will qualify from each group. Thought I'd show you what I'm thinking and see if users on here agree/disagree with my selections. Maybe some of you will have more information about certain countries than me so any advice will be welcome. Here are mine..... (selections in bold)

Group A Group B Group C Group D

Brazil Spain Colombia Italy

Mexico Netherlands Greece England

Croatia Chile Ivory Coast Uruguay

Cameroon Australia Japan Costa Rica

Group E Group F Group G Group H

Switzerland Argentina Germany Belgium

Ecuador Bosnia- Herzegovina Portugal Algeria

France Iran Ghana Russia

Honduras Nigeria USA South Korea

I know it's very difficult to predict but it's a bit of fun. Which do you disagree with?

I would also favor Japan and the Dutch rather than your choices. Also, Iran or Nigeria are likely to do better than B-H. But it's always a mystery.

I'm thinking of having one bet for the World Cup this summer and it will probably trying to predict the two countries that will qualify from each group. Thought I'd show you what I'm thinking and see if users on here agree/disagree with my selections. Maybe some of you will have more information about certain countries than me so any advice will be welcome. Here are mine..... (selections in bold)

Group A Group B Group C Group D

Brazil Spain Colombia Italy

Mexico Netherlands Greece England

Croatia Chile Ivory Coast Uruguay

Cameroon Australia Japan Costa Rica

Group E Group F Group G Group H

Switzerland Argentina Germany Belgium

Ecuador Bosnia- Herzegovina Portugal Algeria

France Iran Ghana Russia

Honduras Nigeria USA South Korea

I know it's very difficult to predict but it's a bit of fun. Which do you disagree with?

I wouldnt disagree with most of your selections. Group C and Group D are 3 horse races and I would maybe side with Japan and Uruguay over Ivory Coast and England. I also think Portugal are a bit of a bottle job but at the same time Im not sure who will be good enough to beat them into 2nd.