IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Gonna do the panini world cup sticker album for my son, he's only approaching 5 months but it will be ace to be able to give it for him to keep. Gutted that Barkley isn't showing on the England squad (Cole, Andros Townsend are).

Loved doing Panini sticker books when I was a kid, loved the smell of the stickers the lot, immedialtely opening the pack as soon as I walked outside the shop.

Be a great thing to give him Haf!

I collected the World Cup coins from Esso petrol stations for the 1970 World Cup and completed it; Ball, Labone, Harvey, Wright and Newton from Everton (though Newton was still listed as a Blackburn player on the display card) .....wish I still had it but it disappeared long ago :(.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7263/7600197264_c229e482f8_z.jpg

I collected the World Cup coins from Esso petrol stations for the 1970 World Cup and completed it; Ball, Labone, Harvey, Wright and Newton from Everton (though Newton was still listed as a Blackburn player on the display card) .....wish I still had it but it disappeared long ago :(.

These are the sorts of things that kids today just don't do enough of. Before they know it they are 15 and just have a back catalogue of FIFA world cup rip off games that they no longer player or sold on ebay for £5 a year later.

You can try and buy them on ebay Mike, I know you can get some such things pretty cheap...in fact yes, for less that £10... do it!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=1970+world+cup+coin+collection

Gonna do the panini world cup sticker album for my son, he's only approaching 5 months but it will be ace to be able to give it for him to keep. Gutted that Barkley isn't showing on the England squad (Cole, Andros Townsend are).

Loved doing Panini sticker books when I was a kid, loved the smell of the stickers the lot, immedialtely opening the pack as soon as I walked outside the shop.

Is it bad that i'm doing it for myself :unsure:

What is cool though, the local petrol station has a 'swap box'...you can come in and sift through the swaps! amazing.

Guest blueboy122

No Tevez for Argentina his ego must have taken a right knock considering he was replaced by relegated Wigan player last year...

I'm thinking of having one bet for the World Cup this summer and it will probably trying to predict the two countries that will qualify from each group. Thought I'd show you what I'm thinking and see if users on here agree/disagree with my selections. Maybe some of you will have more information about certain countries than me so any advice will be welcome. Here are mine..... (selections in bold)

Group A Group B Group C Group D

Brazil Spain Colombia Italy

Mexico Netherlands Greece England

Croatia Chile Ivory Coast Uruguay

Cameroon Australia Japan Costa Rica

Group E Group F Group G Group H

Switzerland Argentina Germany Belgium

Ecuador Bosnia- Herzegovina Portugal Algeria

France Iran Ghana Russia

Honduras Nigeria USA South Korea

I know it's very difficult to predict but it's a bit of fun. Which do you disagree with?

Edited by Geth

I like the look of the us roster minus altidore. He woeful spell at Sunderland an scoring 2 goals in all competitions begs the question of should he start. Personally I say give Terrance Boyd (rapid Vienna 20 goals) a shot. Has played in Europa league against good competiton and is similar build and player to altidore but scores goals. Johannson would be a good shout too but he's scored less than Jozy did in the eredivise in a year

I'm thinking of having one bet for the World Cup this summer and it will probably trying to predict the two countries that will qualify from each group. Thought I'd show you what I'm thinking and see if users on here agree/disagree with my selections. Maybe some of you will have more information about certain countries than me so any advice will be welcome. Here are mine..... (selections in bold)

France Iran Ghana Russia

I know it's very difficult to predict but it's a bit of fun. Which do you disagree with?

For a lot of it it's like sticking a pin in blindfold....I don't think there's a man alive who could pick all sixteen to progress so your (educated) guess is as good as any.

But for what it's worth I think Japan will qualify from group C ahead of Ivory Coast (or even possibly Columbia), Mexico ahead of Croatia in A, Holland ahead of Chile in B and Russia ahead of Korea in H.

Who is likely to upset the applecart do you reckon? Netherlands or Mexico are my picks. Outsiders?.....definitely Japan!

Germany for me, who will be 3rd or 4th favourite.

Would be awesome if they beat Uruguay in the final so Suarez gets to lose in the last game again :lol:

Guest Nikica

France Iran Ghana Russia

As Mike says, a lot of it comes down to team preference i.e. rating one team slightly more than another. There are also many factors which can affect things.

I'd agree with most of your picks. I think Japan, Uruguay, Switzerland and Russia will all advance though - probably at the expense of the Ivorians, England, France and either S Korea or Belgium, respectively. I'm not fully convinced by Belgium yet.

Edit: actually, Ecuador might not qualify as most of their good results come playing at height in Quito. Their away record in qualifying is less than stellar, so perhaps France and the Swiss from that group.

Edited by Nikica

Me too! And I managed to get a complete set if cards that year. The last one was Alf Ramsey, which I swapped with my cousin.

No Landon Donavon in the USA squad...

Was that expected? Came as a huge surprise to me.

It is a huge surprise. He's still our best player, and everyone I've talked to about it is understandably pissed, especially when you look at the others who made the roster. Klinsmann is an idiot.

It is a huge surprise. He's still our best player, and everyone I've talked to about it is understandably pissed, especially when you look at the others who made the roster. Klinsmann is an idiot.

I completely disagree. Dempsey is our best player and has the stats (3rd in prem scoring last Fulham season) to back it up.

Donovan is old and took time off an hasn't scored since December. He's in a slump, can barely train due to his age and body wear, and has himself admitted to being out of form and old and publicly said a bench role would be fine.

But instead of confining him to the bench, Juergen is looking to the future with young talent. I applaud that. Julian green, Fabian Johnson, chandler, brooks, yedlin, diskeruud, Johannson, etc are all players who will be playing in 2018 World Cup. We are in the group of death and expectations Are low, why not do the youth movement and go all in for 2018? I love it.

Only thing I didn't like is Terrance Boyd (20 goals in Austrian bundesliga) didn't make the cut. He's young and scores (unlike Jozy altidore) and I want to see him more.