IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Forgot about Henderson. He'd be better than Lampard there too, IMO.

If Wilshire is fit he's my first choice though.

I wouldnt touch Wilshere yet, had a poor season and he is coming back from an injury. I think I would prefer Ox, although he might have just been coming back from injury as well?

Its interesting that everyone is choosing to leave Rooney out of the team.

Hart

Johnson Stones Jags Baines

Henderson Gerrard

Barkley

Rooney Sterling

Sturridge

For me he either has to start up front or not at all (same with Sturridge) and Sturridge is the player in form.

Ive been thinking about the formation and looking at the players available I'd be going for a 433

.................Hart.................

Johnson Jags Cahill Baines

Lallana Gerrard Henderson

Sturridge Rooney Welbeck

If we setup like that and played like we have nothing to lose, I think England could surprise. Only trouble is, we wont :)

Guest Nikica

Ive been thinking about the formation and looking at the players available I'd be going for a 433

.................Hart.................

Johnson Jags Cahill Baines

Lallana Gerrard Henderson

Sturridge Rooney Welbeck

If we setup like that and played like we have nothing to lose, I think England could surprise. Only trouble is, we wont :)

Nice team, but it probably works better as a 4-2-3-1 with G and H as the holding players (H the more energetic), and Sturridge in front of Rooney. Then Welbeck can play as the pacey inverted winger, with Silva more of the playmaking inverted winger on the other side (think of a poor man's Silva). I'd play Sterling rather than Welbeck, and then your team looks even better. Problem is all three are right footed, with Lallana's left being the best of the three, but perhaps Sterling could play as more of a by-line player as he started on the right for Liverpool often anyway.

However, formations are dynamic and just really a starting point, players interchange. And 4-2-3-1 is really just a derivative of 4-3-3 anyway.

Hart

Johnson - Jags - Cahill - Baines

Gerrard

Barkley - Henderson

Sterling Sturridge

Rooney

Me likey the personnel. I certainly think Sterling must start.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Yep Mike, just goes to show that footballers aren't robots, even if we sometimes speak about them like they are lol.

Obviously missing a tie-winning penalty is not 'final' and feels more like an opportunity than something which could end up in said player being castigated. I'd say you could apply this sort of psychology to anything and see similar results.

Edited by Nikica

Spain squad...

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli), David De Gea (Manchester United).

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona).

Midfielders: Xavi (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich).

Forwards: David Silva (Manchester City), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Pedro (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Manchester United), David Villa (Atletico Madrid).

Spain squad...

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli), David De Gea (Manchester United).

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona).

Midfielders: Xavi (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich).

Forwards: David Silva (Manchester City), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Pedro (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Manchester United), David Villa (Atletico Madrid).

That is one seriously awesome squad of players. Maybe they just need that class striker in his prime. Other than that, outstanding talent.

Northern Ireland only lost 1-0 in Uruguay and Michael O'Neill reckons England will beat them...

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill: "Having seen Uruguay, I would expect England to beat them in Brazil. If England play with pace in the forward areas they will cause them real problems. I'll be honest, I think you can get at them.

"This is a good team, but it's heavily dependent on the front two, if you nullify them you can get opportunities against them.

"I haven't spoken to Roy (Hodgson) in the build-up, but if he wanted to call me or my assistant Billy McKinley, who he worked with at Fulham, there'd be no problem there. But I'm sure he doesn't need to, they will have had someone here and there'll be a dossier 250 pages thick."

Guest Nikica

I have tipped the Dutch from the start to go out in the group stage with Spain and Chile qualifying! Decent odds for Chile lads! Get on!

Same. I have loved Chile since qualifying for South Africa, and then at the tournament they were amongst the most entertaining teams. I really think they and Spain will progress. Very average Dutch squad, tbh.

Guest Nikica

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652398

Montolivo carried off after 8 minutes of tonight's friendly - suspected broken leg

Very poor news. Never like to see players get such a terrible injury immediately prior to a World Cup.

Sorry for not multi-quoting - I saw Cake's post after I replied to Geth and I still don't know how to edit in another quote.

Guest Nikica

I'm looking forward to group B the most, I think Spain and Chile will be great. It used to make me laugh when mugs said Spain (and Barcelona) were boring to watch :rofl: