IGNORED

"Copa America" to be hosted in USA in 2016

It was announced earlier that USA will host a special edition of the South American tournament.

• Chile will host the competition in 2015
  • USA will host it in 2016
  • Brazil in 2019

However, the 2016 edition will also feature six North American, Central American and Caribbean teams.

It's not going to be on the FIFA international calendar (clubs aren't forced to allow players to play in matches that aren't on the calendar - Everton'll be under no obligation to let Oviedo go for example) and it'll be played on the same days as some of the Euros in 2016. They (CONCACAF and CONMEBOL) wanted it held in 2016 to commemorate the centenary of CONMEBOL and wanted it hosted in USA because that's where the most money will be made.

Seems pretty poorly planned to me. Look at the schedule of Brazil, Mexico and USA.

2013 - Gold Cup / FIFA Confederations Cup
2014 - World Cup
2015 - Copa América / Gold Cup
2016 - Copa Centenario / Olympics
2017 - Gold Cup / FIFA Confederations Cup / World Cup qualifiers
2018 - World Cup
2019 - Copa América / Gold Cup

Although, from what I've read most people are excited about it as it'll bring the South American national teams (even if depleted) to USA, to me, the competition just seems like a cash grabbing sham.

Guest Nikica

Had heard something about a pan Americas tournament being played in 2016, but didn't think it would actually happen. the Copa next year was due to be staged in Brazil (alphabetical order), but they switched with Chile due to the World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

I agree that the schedule for these countries is insane. Players need a summer off once in a while. I think Suarez and Cavani - for example - will have played every summer from 2010 to 2016, and maybe even beyond...

Edited by Nikica